MMC Feral Rex Mega Thread (Predaking)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Jigga, Jul 28, 2012.

1. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a KO of the set available as well as an oversized KO for about $100 total if you don't feel like investing $400 in the set.

2. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

I plan on getting a Feral Rex in the next 6 months or so.
    Maybe the NeoArt version if push came to shove.

3. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Ok, make sure to get the Feral Queens for them, they might still be available at Planet Steel Express.

For the Feral Rex, either you get the real or the NeoArt (much better than oversized that is simplified), I personally would recommend also getting Felisaber (looks nicer for both arms to look similar shape) if you can get at a good price.

Personally, i would say get a used authentic one at a good price from someone unloading it, and then contact MMC customer service with any issues you may have, if any, cause they are very strong, except maybe the wings. It is possible the black version may have more sturdier joints for combined mode.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

I disagree with so much of this, but I still maintain that it is all valid viewpoints/advice.

Do invest on this, but in the form of a good used version. Try the B/S/T threads.

Do not get the Feral Queens, they have so little to do with this set, and are just color compliments at the best.

Do not get Felisabre. He makes an already unwieldy to pose combiner harder to pose as it is. He makes the guy way to back heavy and the hip joints have a hard time keeping up. He likes to flop backwards.

I do agree they are better as a team than as a combiner, and may be the better way to display them. I got two sets, and 4/5 of Nero so I don't have to choose how I want them displayed. (Humblebrag) Just remember these are some of the most play friendly toys in the last 3 years so don't fight the urge to fiddle with them.

5. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    You can stick the wings on without attaching divebomb to Rex's back. I mean, I know then you're stuck with a wingless divebomb... but he can hang out in robot mode or something. :2c: 

6. Pessimus Prime

Pessimus Prime Slackerbot Commander

So I bought the first three releases in this set as they came out and then...lost interest. Despite loving them so much. So I've only just this month finally completed my Feral Rex; I was lucky and found both Talon and whatever Rampage is called new at half-price. Generally it's tough to find these guys now, at least a reasonable price. I have to agree that in the context of modern MP collecting and combiners he is a bit disappointing. He looks awesome without a doubt, but he's not only awkward and hard to pose, he's frankly small. There's no way he'll really fit in with more MP-looking stuff. That wasn't an issue when he first came out.

Fortunately the individual bots look lovely, are fun, easy to transform, and still make a strong presence. Leo Dux/Razorclaw in particular is probably one of my favorite figures in my entire collection, bar none. I'll likely display them as individuals going forward. I don't normally advocate for KO's but I have been considering whether to go in on the Jinbao OS KO so that I can have a set to leave in combined mode. I am hoping that one of the better 3P companies takes a stab at an updated set some day.

7. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Individual feralcon figures are still fantastic toys but the combined gestalt has many drawbacks in its overall design/stability/posability etc unfortunately. I was messing with my Felisaber the other day and he's still my favorite mold of the set, certainly pick him up if you want an additional stand alone feralcon to play with while rex is combined. The super mode with him and talon attached can be balanced but the already shakey hip joints will be pushed beyond their limits with feli attached if you try to pose him with both limb bots attached.

Combined mode still looks bad ass and scales nicely with Maketoys' old sets as well but yah in today's all mp all the time attitude he's not gonna do you any favors scale wise.

I certainly would never advise picking up the oversize ko, heard nothing but bad things about that.

Also Hasbro is working on a five voyager Predaking set for next year so people may want to hold out for that instead. I think they may end up doing an Abominus to compliment it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    It's not a bad time until someone does a better one. And since that hasn't happened yet...

9. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    My suggestion: don't leave your combiners perma-combined. I know it's popular, but there's a huge amount of enjoyment to be had from posing and displaying them as a TEAM, instead of solely as one big guy. Especially the Feralcons.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

True, but Talon better completes Feral Rex color wise than Felisabre, he doesn't have the red Fortis does to really fit into the color scheme, so if you are going 5 man than just use Talon and skip Felisabre as anything but a stand alone.

11. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Long live the King!

FRhas arrived.jpg

FR is showing his age compared to newer offerings but he will always have a special place in my collection. That big chunck of plastic got me playing with it like I was a kid again.

IMG_5014.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  12. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Ahh, see I have my legs swapped so I get the yellow on one diagonal and then the red/orange to make that work. 'Saber has a little red on his forearm, but talon always seemed a little more out of place being black and orange the way I have mine configured.

If that bothers you, I'd love to see what you'd do with tfc Piranacon :) 

13. das_hermit

das_hermit Decepticons forever!

I like them. They're not perfect by any means but they're good solid figures that are fun to mess around with and look good on display. Size-wise robot and beast modes work well with the official Masterpiece figures, while combined mode scales nicely with the Combiner Wars and old Maketoys combiners. I don't have any other 3rd Party combiners or MP-esque figures to compare them against, so I can't really comment on their relative merits on that count.

You might be better off waiting until the Hasbro/Takara set comes out, a few might crop up for sale.

14. dragontype

dragontype Well-Known Member

Hmm, if you don't mind spending a few hundred bucks on a cool combiner set, I would totally recommend the Feral Cons. Despite their "age", this is still top 3 combiners I own. He has some stability issues and he's a bit too heavy for his own good, but the overall design and proportions are awesome.

I liked so much I bought 2 sets to just have in case something happened to my display set, I still have another on standby. I think MMC could have made Leo Dux a bit larger and increased the overall combiner size a bit. Maybe not too late? I always thought an updated and larger Leo Dux would solve most the stability issues that the combiner mode has.

But yes, recommend if you can drop the dough.

15. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Idk I have Nero Rex in perfect combine mode and he is on the highest setting and I've had no stability issues or heavy back syndrome hopefully I get him reset up this wkend in the new house with a new shelf and detolf setup

16. dragontype

dragontype Well-Known Member

Were there any upgrades/improvements on Nero? I have that set as well, but haven't taken him out of the box yet. I plan on having a "nemesis" section in my display.

Feral Rex isn't floppy by any means though, just want to make that clear if others are interested in him as well. Just, not as stable as say, GT's Gravity Builder.
    @redrum, can you show us pix once you're all setup at your new house? :D 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Snap Trap - Body
    Overbite - Gun
    Skalor - Left Arm
    Nautilator - Left Leg
    Sea Wing - Right Arm
    Tentakill - Right Leg

That's how I plan to set them up anyway. I don't want fish tails in front, and I don't like having the same colors on one side.

As for my Predaking:

Razorclaw - Body
    Divebomb - Left Arm
    Tantrum - Left Leg
    Rampage - Right Arm
    Headstrong - Right Leg
    Gun - Attached to Divebomb

Catilla - Looking ruefully from a distance

18. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker

IMG_20170321_174805-01-01.jpeg
    I've had the King in perma-combiner mode for the better part of the year... I'm gonna take the advice of the gentlemen here... It's time to display them as a team again (plus it'll be a good time to switch out for their new alternate faces set).

• Like Like x 4
  19. UltimateDespair

UltimateDespair Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys! Really informative!

I've almost completed TFC Piranacon: albeit with a faulty Mentarazor (grrrr) and I think the set is absolutely fabulous! Buy it peeps!

Does anybody have both to be able to compare them combined and as a group? It's a bit much to ask so I don't mind if nobody does! :) 

Have a good day, all.

20. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Sounds like a good plan for Fishmonster. I was so excited when I got the 5th member, that I just stuck them on and didn't pay too much attention... and slightly regretted it. I thought squidbilly would be out months ago and I could have just done some swapping then... but nooOOooo.

Poor Catilla :(