MLB 2K6 for XBox 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Weirdwolf, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone else picking up a copy today? Got mine paid for yesterday, I can't wait! :rock 

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm either gonna pick up 2K6 or Tomb Raider Legends. Not sure though. :( 

3. Weirdwolf

Just got through playing a few games. Has some issues, but one of the best ball games I've ever played. Visual feast.

4. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    more more! do you have 2k5? is it better?. I'm pondering getting it...

5. Weirdwolf

I've never played any other baseball game in the 2K series, having been more of a fan of the MVP baseball games until they lost their MLB license.

I don't have a lot of time, but here's a quick rundown of my first impressions:

Pros:

Great, sharp, detailed graphics. People in the crowd scramble for foul balls, very animated and not flat 2-D carboard cutouts. You can even see the swirls in the dirt where it's been raked, and the air-holes in the uniforms, right down to the stitches on the sewn on numbers.

Players react to things happening realistically. If a batter doesn't like an ump's call, he'll mouth off to him heading back to the dugout.

True Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound gives it the "at the ballpark" feel. The music, PA announcer, crowd, everything seems spot on.

Cons:

Reaction time to controls can seem a bit sluggish at times. For example, if you have a pass ball, the catcher takes his sweet dandy ol' time getting up from his crouch so you can go after it. By that time, the baserunner's taken 2 bases already.

Though the graphics are beautiful and detailed and all, the player models for the most part don't look very accurate. I was playing against the White Sox and Jim Thome came up to bat; he looked skinny as a rail and didn't look like the real Thome at all; instead he looked (facially) more like the wrester, Kane.

Hitting and pitching controls don't seem to appear to be as precise as they should be. It's way to easy for runners to overrun the bags and get tagged out, too. I chalk this one up to my not being really familiar with the contols being a newbie and all.

The "swing stick" control method sucks. I quickly opted for the more classic batting control method.

I could go into more detail, but again, I don't have time right now.

6. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

Seems like a lot of folks are having freezing issues. Possibly something to do with the HDD and replays/video.

Tomb Raider actually looks pretty good. Short, though, from what I understand. A rental possibly.

7. Weirdwolf

MLB hasn't frozen on me yet. Then again, I have the frequency of instant replays turned down.