Heavy/Scratch: Mixmaster, SCRAPPER, plus a Devastator-sized update(arms, complete legs, chest shield)!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by BrokenSVT, Nov 4, 2008.

1. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

5/5/09
    I know there are a lot of these in progress right now, but in my defense...I started on this guy just shortly after Ptitvite's masterpiece came to fruition. IIRC, it was way back in April of 2008. My first Devs thread will show that early progress:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/211140-my-custom-devas-head-wip.html

Expect a large update in the coming days. The "building blocks" are finished, no really; they're painted :D  Hook is nearly completely in paint and the others are primered-up and ready for base coat. I'll snap pictures as soon as I can escape work!

4/7/09 Jeeze, has it been THAT long since I've worked on him? I suppose it has, and much has happened in terms of changes. Mixmaster, as you knew him, is retired to become another project. As much as I like the Barricade mold for this figure, it's just too floppy to be a lower leg for a 'bot that weighs six or seven pounds.

I like the new version, and hope you will too. I'm almost ready to start paint when the weather turns.

12/31/08
    The wing is complete(sans paint), and Scrapper gets a new toy. Part of G1 Devastator's charm was that all of the combiner parts could be incorporated into the individual vehicle modes to make "attack modes." This prevented him from being a partsformer.

In my humble opinion, I thought all of the "attack modes" were lame except for Scrapper's ultra-cool flying endloader look. Being he's the "boss" of the team, it's fitting that he gets to keep it in his updated form. The guns are actually on a swiveling turret, and can also raise/lower for aiming purposes.

12/30/08(part B)
    A quick shot of the in-progress chest shield. Another with it wired to the big guy temporarily.

12/30/08
    Look who's standing on his own two feet! Well, his legs and torso anyway :) 

12/28/08
    Work has been crazy, so no time to play customize-the-Transformers. Finally found a few minutes before church this morning to update Mixmaster a bit. His cement barrel is mocked-up. The barrel will convert to a gun when finished.

11/26/08
    A quick mock-up of how the big guy may look. Squint your eyes REALLY hard and imagine Hook where the yellow unicron kibble currently is, and you get the idea! He's finally coming together. Just a bit of work on Hook, Mixmaster and a TON of painting!

Oh, and happy Birthday to me!

11/25/08
    I threw together a semi-quick mockup of arms, and they aren't the arms you've been seeing on other Devastators!

11/4/08:
    You guys may remember wayyyyyyyy back when I made this:

Radicons - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

...for my take on the gigantic Devastator that Ptitvite and F-R had just finished making themselves. Well, in the meanwhile I've gotten plenty of small projects done for the big guy, but one has haunted me all along: Mixmaster.

As great as all of the other huge Devastators have been, I've noticed that everyone has had their own struggle re-creating Mix', particularly the front of the truck itself. I'm not one to be content with a partial homage, so I put a lot of thought into this, and am pleased with the partial results.

Let me know what you think(and save the clown shoe jokes please :) ). I obviously have a fair bit of filling in to do.

Attached Files:

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks passable and functional. if his waist does rotate then it shouldn't bee too hard to use that as part of his transformation to limb (don't own the mould)

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    That's AWESOME!! I'm doin' a similar mod for my Energon Superlink style Motormaster! What toy semi did you use, may I ask! Looks great!:thumbs2: 

4. BrokenSVT

Storm: Funny you mention that, I didn't think to take a photo in that mode. I just threw one up there! :D 

hank: He came out of a 3-pack of toy trucks that I picked up at Kmart for $5. They keep them all of the time in the section with the generic store brand toys, in different decos.

5. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looking good my man.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    got any better pics of MM? I am liking him, but thinking he's infinity long in truck mode.

7. BrokenSVT

New pics are up. I didn't have but a few minutes this morning to toy with him before I headed to work. I mocked him up with a cement barrel in a rough manner to show scale.

He is admittedly a bit long.

8. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

i'd say you can call this idea stolen

as in i'm going to steal it, not that you stole it from someone else

9. BrokenSVT

Feeeeeeeetttttttt!!!!!!!!

A little styrene later, that is :) 

Soon, very soon, he will have a cement barrel and then comes paint!

10. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    and you know what they say about bots with big feet. . . .

11. BrokenSVT

Haha, indeed!

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Looks great. I've been looking for some generic trucks, but for a non-Devs custom.

13. sUPERnATURAL

sUPERnATURAL Member

with those feet he'd be a good Motormaster

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You're absolutely right.

15. JAF

JAF 1984

Awesome work so far. You've taken a unique approach for sure and it is working nicely.

16. BrokenSVT

I just checked out pics of Motormaster from G1 and you're dead right. It almost makes me want to make another one ><

17. BrokenSVT

Pictures are coming soon!

18. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing these "excitingly different" arms. :) 

19. BrokenSVT

Ok, pics are up. You have to squint your eyes and imagine the spikey areas gone. As a matter of fact, you have to imagine MOST of the orange area gone, and only the boxy area at the tops of each as the shoulders...as that's the area where Hook and Longhaul reside. If you can then picture "Hook" between them, you're golden :) 

The beauty of this setup, aside from the obvious beefy appearance, is that he has a TON of articulation in the arms and some ready-made mounting points for a couple o' Constructicons.

Speaking of such things, those areas need some smoothing attention!

20. BrokenSVT

A truly Devastator-sized update today! The big fella is coming together nicely!