Mixmaster dead, long live Hightower?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ZacWilliam, Oct 3, 2006.

1. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So here's what we know, Post-Botcon:

The Fanclub comic will be telling the Classics story (very likely the only official media they'll get, so rather definitive) as a distinct continuity that is a sequel to the old Marvel Transformers comic universe.

The Classics Constructicon set features the G1 Constructicons except Mixmaster and Hook are replaced by newbie Hightower. Now in Universe, this would have just been chalked up to them being from an alternate reality (which was what Universe was all about) and forgotten, but Classics is going to be set in an established "classic" G1 universe.

So where did Hook and Mixmaster go and where did Hightower come from? I think the key is in the bios on the back of the box. Hightower's bio is a mixture of both Hooks' and Mixmaster's.

Devastator is a merger of all their minds/sparks, right? So what would happen if, say Mixmaster's body was utterly destroyed while they were combined and then they seperated? Might Mixmaster's mind/spark have ended up with Hooks' in Hooks' body, and the combo worked Tigerhawk-like to create Hightower? Speculation, I know, but it works well enough that I have to wonder if it was intentional.

Thoughts?

-ZacWilliam, wondering if we'll see something like this in the fanclub comics or profiles explaining things. That'd be cool :) 

2. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

If you look at Nevermore's trademark thread, you'll see the actual reason the names are different... Hook is either too generic a name and has been lost. And, well, there are no cement mixers on that Devastator, so it would be a little bit silly to have one named Quickmix or Mixmaster.

But as far as fiction goes, I like your idea. I suspect the bios are just Hasbro making the best of a bad situation.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Reminds me a little of when I got the 4-member Universe "Landfill" Constructicons. Putting it in a G1 context, I thought up a story where two Constructicons (Bonecrusher & Mixmaster) were killed, and Scrapper redesigned/rebuilt himself (into a bulldozer) and the other remaining three into new forms, allowing them to combine with only four 'bots. Devastator became much less reckless and stupid as a result, because the two most insane and impulsive team members are gone now.

4. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    That's about the same idea I had when I read the bio. Hightower was Hook's name in the Micromaster Devastator set and Mixmaster became Quickmix. Since Hightower's bio reads like Mixmaster's I also thought that the best way to explain this was that the two merged. I wonder if someone at Hasbro knew we would be kind of upset about the repaint of Constructicon Maximus and the fact there is only five so they mixed the names and bios to get us interested in the set? Makes a lot more sense to have one completely renamed since Hook and Mixmaster would no longer be two separate Transformers.

5. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

That is a really neat idea to compensate for the loss/absence of Hook and Mixmaster. Wouldn't have even thought of using the gestalt mind-fusion stuff to have certain team members combine like that - if it was expressed on the Club forums or something, and assuming they didn't come up with the explanation on their own, it could be a reality (like the Astrotrain-Cannonball link).

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hightower? that guy from police academy?

7. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I hope they do something like that, if they even address it at all.

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I agree with Chosen. Though what's up with Astrotrain/Cannonball? I never heard about that.

9. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Couldn't hear this direct as I'm no longer a member (Astrotrain might change that!), but on the forums suggestions were made about what to do with the 'train, storywise. Somebody came up with the idea that Astrotrain would be part of Cannonball's space pirate crew, which explains the giant symbol (pirates care about terror, not disguise!) and gives such a fan-fave repaint more time to shine. As Beastbox explained in his news post, Master Collector's going to run with the story for Astrotrain's bio.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thanks.

11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I still don't understand how they can lose the ability to use a generic name. I can make up my own character and if I named him Hot Rod, there is nothing anyone could do about it.

12. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I asked something similar some time ago.

The anser was that if they stop using characters, they can lose the rights to use the name. I think that occured with Hot Rod, they didn't sell a toy called Hot Rod or Trailbreaker for years, so they lost the rights.