Customs: Mixing Paint Colors

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by hthrun, Jul 22, 2011.

1. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Until now I've been detailing my TFs with Elmer paint markers and Sharpies. Yesterday I went to a Micheal's for the first time and picked up a value set of Testor acryllic paints.
    I haven't noticed anything posted here about it, but I was wondering if anyone would have any tips about mixing colors. Even like how to get specific colors, like movie Bumblebee yellow or movie Ratchet green, etc....
    Thanks!

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think if the color in question is something you know you're gonna use a lot of, I'd recommend mixing up a lot of it, as mixing the same color twice is near impossible unless you have an exact formula down of what you're mixing.

Typically when I mix colors, I just eyeball it, as I have a good idea of what I'm going after. It's always been very much a trial and error process for me.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're looking for bumblebee yellow and ratchet green, yea, you'll get close, but you probably won't get the exact color of the cars unless you go and get the actual car paints.

4. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good topic for discussion - for instance how would one mix a colour that the stunticon dead end is?

It's not exactly a wide spread colour as are other TF colourings.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Using car paint on customs is the coolest.

Obtain some reference photos of Dead End, and then mix the color to approximate it. If you really wanna score some points, research the actual G1 car model and it's factory colors and shoot for that :) 

6. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know that's a Porsche of some model or other which I'll do at some point... Lol and if I did that I may level up with loads of EXP? Lol

But I have been doing some reading on the basics of primary colour mixing to get purples and browns and the like. Maybe that could help for a start to get the shades and tones if you did some more searching on art websites. Or just find the specific paint codes on the cars? Should easily be able to find on the net somewhere.

7. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks for the input, guys!

Yeah, I'll just have to settle for getting as close as I can. I'm thinking BB will use yellow mixed in with a little bit of orange, and Ratchet will use green with a little bit of white...

On another note, the blue I use on the lights for RotF Optimus Prime's front/feet keeps coming off. So far I've just used markers with Future floor polish painted on top. Will acrylic paint, mixed with Future, be more resistant to scraping?

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

In my early customizing experience, even permanent marker will come off at contact points. Have you tried wet sanding? I sometimes put a dab of superglue where the paint rub is really bad

9. hthrun

Ebay:
    Haven't tried wet sanding, I'll keep that in mind...
    With the superglue, do you put that on before the paint to make the paint stick better, or do you put it on after the paint dries as a protective coating?

10. hthrun

Ebay:
    I tried using a brush for the first time last night! I've been reading through the tutorials and decided to use a Testors Acrylic set that included all the colors of the rainbow, white, black, silver, and gold. I also used a wet palette.

I tried mixing some BB yellow and think it came out pretty close. I started with orange and slowly added a little bit of yellow. I also added Future finish. My main concern was brush strokes, but those didn't seem to be an issue at all. I'll definitely need to add more coats still...

I was hoping I could mix a yellow in one part of the palette and mix other colors in other areas. But the paint ran quite a bit and filled up most of the palette. I'm wondering if I should get more palettes for different colors...

11. Satomiblood

I never did answer this... you put the superglue on after. The whole point is to give the coat of paint a durable and protective layer. You have to keep moving the joint around as you don't want them to stiffen up from the glue.

12. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks! Is there a good kind of super glue for this? The glues I've used usually turn kind of white after they dry...

13. Satomiblood

Good old Krazy glue, especially the kind with a brush applicator. Most of those glues dry white, but that also depends on how much you use and how it reacts to the surface you're applying it to. Try a very small dab first. And remember to move the joint around while it dries.

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I can't remember if I've said or not, but I mix colors in separate containers. The main reason I do this is so that I'll have enough of the mixed color for future use. It's VERY difficult to mix the same color twice.

15. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks for the tip! What do you use for containers? I was thinking I could keep the paint containers after I use up all the paint and reuse them for new color mixes...

Another question, while on the topic of painting... How long should one wait between coats? Does a coat need to be completely dried before putting on the next coat?

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if you do this be SURE you CLEAN THE CRAP OUT OF THE BOTTLES!!!!!! You don't want anything left over from the original color in there otherwise your mixing paint in them becomes a moot point because it won't be what you want it to be... Not being trying to be a jerk, as I'm sure you would have figured this out on your own,, but I figured it was worth mentioning :D 

17. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Hobby stores sell empty bottles for paint mixing. Also, if one of your colors used to make a custom color is low, just mix it in the jar. It will take a heck of alot of stirring though if the jar has paint up the sides and on the cap.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I have some small, Tupperwear containers I bought from Dollar Tree that are air tight when they're sealed. I've got paint from over 4 years ago that's still ready to go if/when I need be. Also:

I do this as well. Empty containers chucked in the trash? Well, it depends. I don't need them a whole lot, but I've used them before. I've never seen the need to spend a premium for containers, though.

19. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks for the help, guys! Last night I was able to paint some more. I opened the wet palette and most of the paint from last time had soaked through the acrylic paper to the sponge. I wasn't able to use any from last time and had to mix some more. Is there something I could have been doing wrong? Should I use more than one sheet of acrylic paper?

I decided to mix the colors on the inside of the palette's lid. I poured a bit of yellow on one area and a small bit of orange on another. Then I poured some Future Finish in between and used my brush to gradually bring the paints together. The Future works REALLY well! I could tell by the end, when I was getting to the last of the paint, it was leaving more brush strokes and not sticking as well. Earlier on it went on so nice and smooth...

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I generally mix it in the destination container.