Customs: Mixing acetone with Testors paint?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by catch22, May 5, 2007.

1. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    After going through dissembling and spray painting Ultra Magnus into Nemesis Prime (well, it's 90% there), I wanna try my hand at brushes with Thundercracker. I picked up a set of brushes and Testors acrylic paint at Walmart tonight.

Should I thin the paint so I don't get brush lines? If so, can I thin it with a little acrylic paint? The silver spraypaint I used on my Nemesis has acetone in it and it works awesome, I was wondering if the principle was the same with brush paint. If so, what ratio of paint:acetone should I do?

2. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

I did my Nemmy http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=131786 with nothing but Testors spray paint. even the small 'nose' area. and the results were actually pretty good if i do say so myself. I do all of my repaints using only spray cans, I dont have a great brush technique.

3. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Hey if anyone wants the secret to the whole paint/repaint issue pick up the book "Scale Automotive Finishes" by Pat Covert.
    More so intended for model car builders but just about all the techniques can be used on your TFs as they are plastic....
    Learn all the secrets to spray paint & so much more.
    Don't just lay on the spray.....read & learn the pro's techniques FIRST ! ! !

P.S.
    The best advice I can offer is to practice on TFs that you can dispose of in case you make a mistake(s),
    buy a junk lot on ebay and have at 'er.
    You will likely be disapointed with brushes but at least try it first....

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Thin acrylics with water. Isopropyl alchohol, and amonia can also be used, but I've had good luck thinning acrylic enamals with water.

Just add a little, untill you get the consistency you want. Don't thin the paint, in the bottle. Thinned paint doesn't tend to keep well. Testors paint is particularly thick, so you shouldn't have to thin it very much.

5. catch22

Ebay:
    Did it matter if you used tap, or does it have to be distilled water?

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Tap water should be fine, though technically you should use distilled. Probably dependds on your tap water.

7. catch22

Ebay:
    Thanks for tips :)  I have a knock Lio Convoy I'm gonna practice on, hopefully it doesn't turn out like shit

8. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

Always make sure to use the right medium to thin your paints.

Use isoprobyl alcohol to thin water base acrylics like Tamiya.

Use laquer thinner on laquer paints like Model Master Laquer/Floquil Laquers, automotive touch up paints.

Standard Testors paint in the square bottle is an enamel based paint, you should not use water to thin this, in fact, due to the oils in it, it should not even work. Use testors thinner or mineral spirits...or the ever trusty all purpose "paint thinner" as found in the solvent aisle of Home Depot.

Do not use acetone to thin paint. Although it will thin it, your increasing the ratio of catalyst in the paint which will speed dry time. Side effects like wrinkling and/or orange peeling can occur.

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Testors also sells their "acryl" line of acrylic paints in those bottles. I have several of them.

10. Karis Mahid

Karis Mahid My fiancee is the avatr

I used some acetone mixed with vallejo primer and acrylic paint. I used it on a broken marvel universe Hercules. It took forever to dry but completely absorbed into the top level of the plastic. I painted the back of the joint and it's not coming off.

It also made the plastic a green color which means the pigment was absorbed into the plastic. I think I would need more practice with it and thinner coats but damn it worked. I wil paint it again, but only use it in the primer base coat layer

11. Karis Mahid

The acetone and paint takes forever to cure. So I recommend sanding everything, diluting a paint/primer and acetone only mix. The pigments are gonna break apart when you apply it and be tacky. Use a blow dryer to cure it on low heat then once dried apply the rest of diluted paint...

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I tried mixing acetone with the Testors "acrylic enamel" paint in the square bottles. It did seem to make it bond to the plastic better, but made it harder to apply. The paint was very streaky compared to straight out of the bottle. Took multiple coats to get full coverage, and even then it wasn't very smooth.

13. Karis Mahid

Mine wasn't smooth either but it bonded completely to the plastic scratching it off led to just seeing the primer layer which was baby blue. I still had to do 20 layers of paint. But it's bonding to the primer.

I recommend heat though to cure the layers on