Mixing a few animated figs with classics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Well, I decided that while there are some really great things I love about animated, I don't really feel like having a display for that line of toys. One of the things driving me to go ahead and add that line of figs to my classics/g1 and movie collections were some awesome interpretations of characters. So, I decided to take a look at what figures I could pull over into my classics display. In my humble opinion, these figures can be blended into Classics:

Grimlock. Awesome. After owning this figure I cannot STAND the classics version. The transformation is so close to the G1 version. I actually LIKE the underbite in dino mode, and I'll tell you a secret: the underbite in robot mode isn't stuck on the face...it easily pops off leaving a face plate, it has a hole but that is so easily patched. The voyager size works perfectly with the classics scale since he is small against the larger animated figs.

Blurr. I think the design will fit in perfectly with Classics.

Blitzwing
    . I think it will require some customizing, but overall with some work I think it will be good.

Ultra Magnus. OK, this is a hard one. The figure does differ a lot from the G1, but damn I just love the toy and design so much I may HAVE to buy it.

Megatron. An old school G1 friend friend of mine prefers Ani Megs to classics, as a modern, powered up take on the character. I don't think the style fits in as well, but I thought I'd mention his perspective.

Swoop. Looks as awesome as Grimlock.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

2. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    v-class prime is kick ass

3. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Eh I have yet to see a Animated figure that fits in with the Classics. They just look too "toony" and would get their asses kicked. The one exception might be Grimlock though. He looks like he could be close enough to fit in but I really like Classics Grimlock. Trailbreaker (I think) had some pics of Animated Grimlock with Classics and he didn't seem too out of place.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I'm planning to use Snarl (Slag) and Swoop to go with Classics Grimlock.

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Get the deluxe cybertronian prime. It has a lot of cool mechanical detail and I think it fits in better with the classics aesthetic for it. Try and get one without red junk on the big beatiful blue window though, I peared through 5 figures until I found one without that problem. Technically he does'nt even have a chin "problem" aesthetically because those are his retracted mouth plates.

By the way on my shelf animated leader megatron fights g1 jetfire. Its a awesome display.

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, the only ones i can think of are the dinobots...as said above, the animated ones are just too cartoony to fit match classics figures

7. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    as i see it..they don't match

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Season three figures like Blurr, Wreck-Gar, Magnus and Arcee should fit in with Classics just as well as their original toys did with the 84-85 gang. That is, not perfectly, but not bad. Dinobots definitely, which is why fans are clamoring for Stego and Bronto Dinobots.

And Animated Prowl looks like a Pretender inner robot with his long, skinny limbs. Waverider, I guess.

9. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Suprized no one has mentioned Jazz yet.
    He fits in perfect IMO, sure he has a really animated style to him he is still a nearly perfect figure.

10. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Dinobots and tripchangers fit for me. Blitzwing and if they do springer and sandstorm will work for me in classics stylings, since I can just write it off in my head as they are all from the lost tribe of triple changers. If they do a deluxe CJ with remolded head, he might fit too since I'd like one a lil more different than BB.

11. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    I'd have to agree on this on. The Animated figures are way too stylized to fit with the scale and feel of the Classics.

Now, if you did a side by side display, like classics Grimlock next to his Animated counterpart, then that could work. But to pass it off as part of the series probably won't work.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really the only one that could fit with the style is Shockwave, but he looks nothing like G1 Shockwave, so maybe as Classics SHACKwave? Y'know, the grey version.

13. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dinobots would be a must. Do you have any pics or mod for taking Grimlocks jaw off?

14. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I agree, I like both lines but they don't fit together at all.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It's just one screw and the entire jaw comes off. Unfortunatley that screw is also holding the head in one piece, and once removed there will a giant gaping hole all the way through Grimy's skull. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to mod something up and give him his full face plate, but still it'll require some effort to do. I definately plan on doing this once I get supplies for such a mod, that and his steamshovel dino jaw are just big turn offs for me. Otherwise he's a great figure.

Still love classics Grim though, shame he wasn't bigger.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    IMO the loos is way too different for the lines to intermingle. The Dinobots might look ok in dino mode even if they are totally cartoony, but nothing else comes remotely close.

17. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I display Grimlock and Jazz with the classics. They don't look TOO out of place, IMO.

18. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    I think its a little obvious they're from different lines. Cybertron figures seem like more of a match for classics IMO.

19. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Lugnut fits in with the Decepticon Air Core Classics Seekers (Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Ramjet) Astrotrain, Octane, Slugslinger, Skyjack (Cybertron Thundercracker), Space Case (Cybertron Skywarp), Cybertron Sideways, BM Jetstorm, Spystreak, Obsidian, Movie Blackout, Brimstone, Terrorsaur and Waspinator (I have too much free time)

20. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is probably why Hasbro repainted some of the Cybertron figures and plugged them into Universe Classics.