mixed reviews of dolphin and swan hotel

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by gen1fan, Jun 10, 2010.

1. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well like any Botcon, we can just hope for the best. :D 

3. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One thing to consider is that the hotel is fairly recently remodeled. And the 3-5 star reviews seem to be in a high majority, without a huge number of apparant shills.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I opted not to get a room in the hotel for the con, based on my past experience with the Swan/Dolphin. Took my wife out there for our anniversary a few years back, paid $300+ dollars for a TINY room that had a roof/air conditioner view. :lol  I could have had a far better room at a Hampton or a Fairfield.

So yeah, as a local I have no love for these hotels, but the conference facilities are exceptional.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I've never stayed at the Dolphin or Swan hotel, I'm staying at Disney's All Star hotel down the road which is one of their Value resorts. It's basically just a room with beds but when you're at Disney you don't spend much time in the room, plus the rooms only 65 bucks a night. Also staying on the property gives you the use of all their transportation, no car needed.

6. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Many Con hotels aren't the best - but it's a matter of what the attendees will pay. BotCon ppl, just from the 4 yrs I've been going - really bit*ch about paying much over $150 incl taxes, so that limits what FunPub can offer. Plus, consider that many years, we're having BotCon during Prime Tourist Season.

Similar to DragonCon in Atlanta. They aren't at the Convention center, and the downtown Hyatt, Marriott, now the Hilton, recently the Sheraton w/ Days Inn & 2 others w/in a mile distance - they aren't anything special either. But they've managed (due to volume, I'm sure) to keep the price to about $150+tax at the 4 host hotels, and 80-140+tax at the satellites.

7. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong theirs always a problem with the hotels at. Here are rthe lows of botcon pass for me
    06 we had those slow azz elevstors, rude staff and a toilet that ran the whole time I was in the room.
    07 u had the issue of paying 85 dollars to park for 4 days, key card elevators
    08 rude staff, food options, having to call for a maid everyday
    09 the fact that it was on the other side of the country

8. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Many of the "upscale" hotels can be iffy as far as what you pay for. In this case, you're paying for the convenience.

Me--I'm staying like 5 minutes away at a very nice hotel. I'd rather brave the traffic for a nice place for three days than pay those rates so I can be on-site.

9. wipedout

wipedout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are better hotels, but I've stayed at the Dolphin before and it isn't bad. Trust me you can do far worse. I don't mind the rate since I don't have to pay airfare or car rental. It's just a tank of gas trip for me. The location and transportation to and from the parks are what make the Dolphin enticing to me.

10. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Reading those, it sounds like the Swan is in need of some updates. Glad I'm staying at the Dolphin. :D 
    -G

11. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

# 1. Which All Star are you staying at. I'll be at the Movies.

12. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  13. Coinhound

Coinhound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Dont feel bad about pricing. You get what you pay for and 99.00 at a Days Inn with no ac for 5 days in St.Paul was no picnic and every hotel within driving distance was booked for a whole week by train collectors.

14. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've stayed here.Hotel Carter Reviews and Photos, New York City, New York - TripAdvisor

So I have a pretty high tolerance.

I've stayed at the Disney Carribean Beach Resort which is amazing and the Regal Sun across the road from Downtown Disney also amazing so the Swan and Dolphin have a lot to live up to (and I am staying at both during my stay), but a long as I can sleep and shower I don't much care about hte room, the convention, parks, pools and basketball courts will keep me plenty occupied.

15. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Very much agreed. With everything included, I was spending 5-7 hours daily in my room last year, about only 1 of which I was awake.

Also, I'm content with the room rate, but then again I'm rooming with other people, so I think it comes down to about $25/night. :D