Mixed Aesthetics

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1Prowl, Feb 16, 2011.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

After viewing the higher quality pic of the HIND D bot, whom I believe to be Whirl, in the Mechtech line, I couldn't help but notice parallels with Seaspray and the whole "either way" look about him. I plan on nabbing it for my Classics shelf, as I did with Seaspray. Are there any other TFs that you feel can do double duty in another line? Or any that are a pretty even mixture of two different aesthetics?

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Breacher could easily be repurposed as a 'Classics' character - he's got movie-level complexity but the head mould gives him a real Classics look & feel. A few others that spring to mind:

* Movie Wal-mart exclusives Fracture, Breakaway, etc - can all be Classics stand-ins.
    * The various Beast Machines repaints that were released in RiD could be repurposed as extra BM characters themselves.

For a long time I had Cybertron Supreme Starscream as a pre-earth G1 Starscream in my collection.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I feel Beast Machines Maximal toys and Cybertron 'beast planet' toys have a certain amount of interchangeability. Both share a mix of mechanical and pseudo-biological detail, though BM toys tend to be a little more 'out there', while the Cybertron toys are more toward the 'classicy'.

4. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Going slightly off-topic: I think the official word is out that the Hind-type Helicopter is going to be (called) Skyhammer (like the Ultra Pretender). Probably because Skyhammer sounds 'harder' than Whirl. Still, his character in the movie (that is, if he actually gets 1. an appearance, 2. any speaking lines and 3. any character development) will probably be more like Whirl.
    Anyhow, comparable to Breacher and Seaspray, I can especially see DotM deluxe Roadbuster (the green Nascar TF) fitting in well with the Classics / Generations / RtS toys, if only in mold and not in name / character.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love mixing aesthetics and tend not to group my collection by line - only Autobots and Decepticons.

Having said that, I think Tomahawk stands quite well among the classics, and in a pinch WFC Optimus Prime and Soundwave make good stand-ins in robot mode.

6. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Yeah, I actively encourage mixed lines. I only have one toy of any character (or name) in my little multiverse.

Some may cringe at this but I've got 2007 movie Cliffjumper next to Classics UM and TFA Jazz, and I'm happy with that. My G1 Optimus Prime is flanked by TFA Bulkhead, movie Ratchet and classics Bumblebee. And so on.

For those who could not stomach such, the following combos do work as a single aesthetic:

RiD Scourge / Nemesis Prime in with your Classics Decepticons.
    ROTF Ejector in with your TFA Decepticons.
    HFTD Sunspot and PCC Smolder with Armada Unicron.