Misterfanwank: TFP Voyager Optimus Prime Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Reviews' started by MisterFanwank, Nov 17, 2011.

1. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
  2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Thank you for both this and the Bulky review. Such fantastic transformations!

3. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like your reviews, you're straightforward and objective about the figures and I generally agree with your "taste" toward what could be improved (I also would have preferred this figure to not have a faceplate, that look has really grown on me and helps the character design look less like a bayformer rehash).

4. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Hah! I'm planning my 200th video to be Supreme Cheetor and I'm going to talk about how I actually somewhat like the figure.

:D 

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    People often say DOTM didn't bring anything new to the table in terms of engineering, but I think it did; ROTF had this thing where you just fold kibble away and try to accomodate it so it doesn't hurt the robot. DOTM brought new ways to fold parts into the robot. I can't explain very well, but I mean parts like Topspin's leg transformation, or how voyager Megatron's legs compress and fold. Voyager Ironhide has a lot of this in his legs as well, where earlier toys just leave the vehicle parts hanging or pegged into something as best as they could.

The reason I brought all of this up is... that the Prime figures take everything nice the animated and movie toys did engineering wise, and combine them to do these mind-blowing transformations. Sure, voyager prime's is a bit spoiled because of the deluxe, but it's an amazing transformation in itself. Bulkhead's is just wizardry. And people criticize Hasbro toy designers. Not to bash third parties or anything, but Prime figures beat everything any third party has to offer in terms of creative transformations and parts design.

6. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    ^ Oh, I agree completely. I got frustrated with the kibbletastic RotF toys, but I really liked a lot of the DotM figures, many of which traded mass for precision and novel transformations. While I don't think DotM is quite so clever as Animated, it also had to work with "realistic designs" and didn't have the same crazy fantasy options animated could do. The Prime toys, for the most part, pull together Animated crazy with realistic vehicles and robot modes. They are the current perfection of what HasTakTomy has been learning how to do in recent years.

These things are amazing.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Very nice review!:thumb  Are you planning to do Arcee next?

8. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    I've already done NYCC Arcee. I'm actually planning on Landfill and his components and a couple G1 figures, then Supreme Cheetor for my 200th video.

9. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Actually I meant are you going to do her first edition show accurate version soon. But what your planning to do is fine too!

10. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    wait...you're blaming the "bayformers" for the overuse of the faceplate? lol

11. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I know! Especially when people first complained about Optimus having a mouth in the Movies. Oh the irony!:lol 

12. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    I'll wait for for her release. I see no reason to pay more than retail for a figure I already own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• HGH1.png
      HGH1.png
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • HGH5.png
      HGH5.png
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • HGH6.png
      HGH6.png
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  13. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

he can strut bizarrely well

14. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Pretty stable too, if the shins don't come undone.

15. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not blaming bayformers for anything. But you can't deny that Prime-Prime's design was based heavily on Movie-Prime, and the main feature that distinguishes the two from each other are their non-faceplate faces. That's all I was saying.

16. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Well seeing how the writers from the first two movies serve as producers on this new series...i can see why it does look that way. But you saying..

"I also would have preferred this figure to not have a faceplate, that look has really grown on me and helps the character design look less like a bayformer rehash"

Their face plates don't distinguish themselves from each other...they distinguish them from other versions of Optimus Prime. You say that you like the lack of a faceplate because the character look less like a "bayformer rehash"...yet...the bayformer version of Optimus runs around without a faceplate too...so i'm confused about what you're even trying to say.

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Mouth face from the movie (very detailed) is very different from the mouth face in Prime (very flat and undetailed), while the faceplate faces are very similar in look. That's what he's saying.

18. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    The head in general on this toy is disappointing. I typically don't mind show accuracy, but this is one case where it would have been nice.