Mistaken Identity Child Support....wtf?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wyvern, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    So the other day I get this packet in the mail. In it there is some child support court paperwork stating that I'm the father of a child that isn't mine from a woman I have never even heard of in my entire life that lives 4 or 5 counties over.

So I call them a few days ago and they end up telling me that I have a very common name and the system just chose me. Fucking bullshit. They sent me another letter which I received today. Basically I'm supposed to send that a copy of my driver's license and a copy of my social security card or birth certificate or another document like it.

This is bullshit to the 57th power! I mean really? How the fuck am I supposed to send that information just like that. After the whole Funpub crap that happened I'm scared to send out information like that.

The thing that gets to me the most is the fact that there is little I can do! I truly hope this gets resolved quickly. I may even need to hire an attorney. What a fucking nightmare and huge inconvenience.

Anyways, has this crap ever happen to any of you?

**UPDATE 7/31/12**

I totally forgot to update this.

So I just decided to give them the information they requested after researching various cases. Everything is legit. It's a real department with real offices yadda yadda yadda.... Got notification in the mail a few weeks ago. I opened the envelope and............

Mr. Wyvern..... You are NOT the father!!!

Lol. Wasn't really news to me. But it was a huge frigging inconvenience. Sucks that they are legally allowed to do this. Basically if your name is in the system.... Don't know how you get on in the first place..... all somebody has to do is give a name and the system just sends out notices to whatever matches come up. Sucks that I have a super common name.

People need to stop being idiots, be responsible and take care of their kids! Jeez..!

2. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recommend having an attorney lok over it. Just having a common last name is not a reason to get legal paperwork, they cross reference this stuff with social security numbers and birthdates so be careful, really really careful.
    I don't blame you for being cautious. Have a professional look at it, it's what I would do.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If that happened to me I would tell them they screwed up so they can fix it and I'm not sending them dick. I'm not going to go out of my way to fix their mistake.

They can send the cops if they want or put a warrant out but that's just how it's going to be.

4. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    That is EXACTLY how I feel. But unfortunately they can garnish my wages or get into my tax return. Its a real shitty situation to be in.

5. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Oh they finally tracked you down? Better pay up! :D 

Just kidding - that's ridiculous. What happens if you do nothing? I mean - is YOUR information on these documents or did someone else's documents with the same name as you just get mailed to your address?

If it's got YOUR info in there, that's a pretty big error.

I wonder what else this guy is doing with your name....

"POLICE!!! OPEN UP!!!" :D 

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If they started getting into my wages then shit would get real ugly real fast.

7. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    DON'T SEND SHIT!!! Tell them you'll come to their office instead b/c it could be a scam someone is running. And a common last name is a sorry excuse and one that I wouldn't believe anymore then the people running botcon.

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Like MTMTE said they just cross reference whatever information they have. And since I have a common name its easy to make a mistake. But that's no excuse. I pretty much have been wrongfully accused of something I didn't do.... now I have to pay out of my own pocket to prove my innocence. Lol. Mother fuckers are trying to feed me to the Sharkticons!

Hahahaha...

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I was going to suggest this if you decide to give them the info. It's a lot better than mailing.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you really want to be a smartass, wipe a cotton swab with your cheek and mail them THAT.

Just don't come crying to me when vindictive deputies show up at your work on a friday afternoon to execute a warrant and lock you up for the weekend.

Seriously though, clear it up right away. The actual father needs to be promptly sicced on so he can be forced to man up and take care of his kid. It ain't the little bastard's fault the county can't get their child support ducks in a row.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  11. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Don't be a dead beat dad and just pay.

Chuck

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds like a scam to me, like MMM said it's their MISTAKE!

13. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    This. If it is real, there WILL be an office to go to. They can NOT garnish your wages without some kind of court proceeding, and they will require some form of your person ID, like SSN or DL to locate which one of the "very common named" people you are. Speak to the police or a lawyer, this is EXTREMELY suspicious.

14. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I agree with the sentiment that this is a big fat scam. Don't send them a damned thing and you'll probably never hear from them again.

15. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Like, no offense, but I can't believe ANYONE would ever think this was legit. Please tell me you are under 18.

16. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I don't know it looks pretty legit to me. It wasn't a random person that sent me the information. It was the county. County of Orange to be exact.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    As long as you could independently verify the county's phone number and address (in five seconds on google), no, it's not a scam.

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sure scammers can get a hold of legit documents & make their own to look exactly like it.

So did you call a number from the document they sent or did you look it up in a phone book. If you just called the # from the document, the scammers just put their own. If you looked it up separatly & called & they comfirmed the letter, it is probably real.

I second the idea of going down in person & not mailing anything.

19. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    There should be contact info on the papers if it's legit (Case #s and such, which court it's filed with), so just follow the contact info. It may be a bit of an inconvenience, but if it's not too far just drive over there and straighten it out. DO NOT IGNORE THIS!!!! If a court date is made and you don't show, YOU AUTOMATICALLY LOSE!!! Once Judgement is entered against you, you're f**ked....... and you will have one hell of a time getting rid of that. Bye, bye paycheck, Tax Refund, hell it will even f-up you're Credit Score!! If you find out it's real, hire an Attorney quick, because the courts don't care if you SCREAM "It's not me!!!!" you have to prove it....

Verify that shit, and Lawyer up or Lube up.....cause if you screw with this they will do stuff to you that would make Jenna Jameson blush!!

20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What sucks if you have to get a lawyer is now you are paying $$$ for the lawyer.