missing out?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by grunge, May 21, 2012.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    I pretty much only watch the cartoons. am I missing out on a lot by not reading the comics? it seems whenever I look at a wiki page there is a lot from comics than from the cartoons. obviously the comics have longer life spans but .... will my tf obsess---- I mean hobby be enriched by reading the comics?

2. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    If you read no other comics at least read Last Stand of the Wreckers! That miniseries is pure gold! :wink: 

3. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I like how IDW gave their early TF stories a more military feel. But the comics are not worth hunting down in the stores or waiting for in the mail. Download only.

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I might get some hate but the old DW GIJoe VS TF set in WW2 I found quite cool bar the ending. and given how all 6 issues go for pennys on ebay I'd say its worth getting

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recently reread that and found it more enjoyable than I did when it first came out.

I'm a big fan of IDW and all transformer comics really.

So yes, you can absolutely enrich your hobby through the comics. A lot of the comics have taken lesser known characters and.expended on them. Characters like Grimlock, Bludgeon, Fort Max, etc

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Transformers a LOT more now that I read the comics. And yeah, the Wiki got me into them.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Since I started reading the comics I absolutely have a much deeper understanding and appreciation for Transformers. I really do not know why I missed out on these for so long.

8. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Well-Known Member

i went all in on idw, marvel, and uk marvel.

i think the best bang for your buck is the classic marvel and uk marvel tpb from idw. classics is on #3 and UK has released 2 already so your not to far behind.

the new idw universe stuff has had a bunch of tpb released already, but there are a lot of complaints about what they have done. maybe just pick it up at the death of optimus prime which is upcomming tpb releases.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yes.

Deffinately start at Death of Optimus Prime, then continue with the current ongoings. They're fantastic, especially More than meets the eye.

Also I'd be a crummy comics fan if I didn't violently recommend Last Stand of the Wreckers.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The Marvel comics are definitely worth reading, especially with them currently being reprinted and continued on. Granted, there's a lot of corny stuff in them like Robotmaster and the wrestling Actionmasters, but considering that the cartoon was nothing but corny, it's stomachable. For the Dreamwave stuff, the 2 War Within volumes are worth reading, the rest probably isnt. The IDW stuff has its highs and lows but its not really historically important like the Marvel stuff. The James Roberts IDW material (Last Stand and the new MTMTE ongoing) are absolutely worth reading even if you ignore the rest of IDW

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I dunno. I like Last Stand of the Wreckers, but I think people overstate its greatness. It's just a straight-up action story that isn't really about anything. It's entertaining and it has very good art. But it's not going to change your life or make you think or anything.

12. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Read BW The Gathering. It's a literature masterpiece. :D 

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's a pretty good story that got perhaps a bit of a falsely over-elevated status of awesome because we'd been drowning in crap for so long it was a welcome life raft to grab onto. If you were starving and someone gave you an old stale plain bit of bread, in your mind that would be the best thing you'd ever eaten. Not that I'm saying LSOTW is a bit of stale of bread though. It's a nice bit of cake. It's not an awesome bacon sandwich, but it's not stale bakery floor sweepings either.

These days though we're getting pretty good stuff all the time with MTMTE and RID, so although LSOTW was a rare breath of fresh air in a room long full of old lady eggy farts, MTMTE and RID is more like opening a window wide and airing the room right out for the foreseeable future. :) 

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I think you should read the IDW comics. I always can't await when the next editions of MTMTE and RID are out. Things like Transformers Prime cartoon and Autocracy are just bonus, to me the aformentioned cartoons are the main medium of Transformers right now.

15. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest there is no better time in getting into the comics than now.

IDW has both digital and traditional paper copies along with a great selection of paperback and hardback books.

So there is a lot of story out there to get into.

The best thing to do if you've the option is go into a local comic store that has the trade paper backs or make a Comixology account and just read a few issues. If you find yourself getting into the story go from there.

Bare in mind there is a LOT of comics out there, between IDW's G1 series, Marvel (US or UK runs) and then if you get obessed there are even cross overs and Dreame Wave comics to consider.....

I aggree that Idw's Death of Optimus Prime is a great stating point if you want to get into the current story and go from thereNot much of a spoiler but the war is over and that is the starting point of the new series which are of a very good quaility!

Basically good luck, get a taste of it and see how you like it. May your wallet recover though!

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  16. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

this^^^^..tho i started in the mid 80s:eek: :confused2 :lolol 

17. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't worry about where to start, just jump right in. Pick up some TPB's on ebay. The Titan reprints of the G1 Marvel stuff are great, and cheap if you're not a completist.
    Look for the UK stuff too, there's a lot of really great stuff there, well, maybe not the Earthforce stories ;) 

The TPB of LSOTW is required reading if you're at all interested in TF comics. Oddly, I think the text story at the end is possibly the best bit.

I just read through Infiltration, Escalation and Devastation. Not impressed, particularly the last six issues, which are basically one big fight.

My advice is to jump right in with Target:2006, then Time Wars. Then pick up Matrix Quest, All Fall Down & End of the Road. After that, just dip into the rest of the Marvel run when you find it. That way you can get onboard Regeneration when it starts up soon.

18. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    alright I'm sold. so o went to idws web page but I'm terrible with these things or maybe I'm old fashioned and was looking for an outdated idea, but is there a way to subscribe to the current comics? mtmte is bumble running cybertron right? and rid is rpsimus trying to end fighting on other tf homeworlds?

I'm definatwly planning on getting the idw marvel tpb I found the first on eBay and am looking to get the other 2 volumes in Barnes and noble. I was leafing through the tpbs they had in there and the art was amazing, and galvatron using a Pentagram was interesting. it seemed megatron and galvatron are seperate entities in that universe? this is what made me wonder.

19. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ You got RiD and MtMtE mixed up, but yeah. Not sure how to go about subscribing myself, I just get them from stores.

In Marvel, Galvatron is Megatron but travels back in time and repeatedly confronts his former self. In IDW continuity, the two bots have no connection whatsoever and Galvatron is actually much older than most of the current cast.

20. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    yeah i dont drive and comic book stores or stores that carry comics are far and few between.

oh. .... i did find it interesting bee was in charge of cybertron and rodimus went star hopping. ok gotta do some ebaying...