Missing character development in Ironhide, therefor, death was not effective

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bluebe6, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    I honestly have to say, I wasn't effected by Ironhides death, I wasn't attatched to the character at all.

The thing is, there wasn't much character development for him. If he would if died in ROTF, I would of cared, because his role and character in TF1 was pretty interesting.
    ROTF lacked character development, meaning I couldn't really get attachted to a character, in this case Ironhide.
    Ironhide didn't much a role in ROTF, the biggest thing in my book he did was saying, "Punk ass Decepticon!".
    To me, there was way too much of a gap between TF1 and TF3, to get to know Ironhide well, which is why I really couldn't have any emotion for his death.

That's just my opinion, whats yours?

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    :horse: 

Didn't you make your views clear in the other thread? Why not start a thread about Starscream's horrible death at the hands of Captain Whiny?

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I felt more that way about Que than Ironhide.

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I've said before and I will say it again: Character Development is massively overrated.

Some characters don't need to change, they are interesting enough the way they are [as TVtropes says, they're a "Static Character"], do you think The Punisher needs character development? He's a complex, multi-dimensional character on his own.

Ironhide is a tough-as-nails badass, he was interesting from the start, he fought, he slayed, he snarked cool lines.

His death in DOTM was interesting [to me at least] exactly because it was somewhat meaningless: He didn't die saving a friend, he didn't die taking an enemy with him, he was shot in the back. by someone he trusted. After all those years raging in the battlefield, he met his fate outside the battlefield, at the hands of a [or so he thought] friend.

That's what makes it just heartwrenching.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Character development is not necessarily change, it can also be additional information that gives insight into a character's history, motivations, thought process, emotional condition, etc. that helps them to be a more complex, well-defined, and often, realistic character.

That being said, there wasn't a great deal of characteriztion for any of the Autobots in the trilogy, so it's completely understandable not to feel an attachment to them. I know I didn't feel much for any of them, other than Bee in the first film.

6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I felt the same way for everyone.

7. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

:throw 

8. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    This

9. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

:popcorn 

10. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    We need TF4. Badly. Threads will be a lot more interesting. Im not trying to be mean at all, but Im just tired of people saying something on one thread and then starting a new thread that says the exact same thing...

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    +1. Had I gotten to know him better and put more emotional investment into him, I would've been far more affected by his execution.

12. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorry but I disagree. Plenty of my friends loved Ironhide, some calling him their favorite Autobot. Everyone I've talked to about the movie was shocked and saddened by his death. Sometimes a character doesn't need a stunning story or development, they just have to look cool and do cool stuff.

13. EmbraceThePurpl

EmbraceThePurpl Purple Dinosaur

I agree with you completely....i don't generally care about what happens to any of the characters in the movies. there is simply not enough development or character history for me to care. development dosn't have to ba a character changing...it just has to be something to shows you how the character thinks and who they are. shooting people up and spouting random one liners is not character development. Plus, i never thought of ironhide as much of a "badass" any way. He died the way any generic should.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    By that reasoning, you wouldn't have been affected if ALL of the Autobot AND Decpticon characters had been killed. Because there wasn't much development for any of them.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you. I wasn't bothered by Ironhide's death, either, and for exactly the same reason.

15. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too share the same sentiments as all of you

16. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this

17. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, he actually gets the most development out of all the non Optimus/Bee (and even then they really don't change much) Autobots. In the first film, he's not all that fond of humanity initally but by the final battle Sam's grown on him, and by the later comics and ROTF he's buddies with Lennox and the NEST guys, and chooses not to leave the planet when given the chance.

It's not much but it's more than the other generic badass Autobots who only show up in fight scenes, or Que who vanished for the entire movie, before showing up to die, or the Twins, who remained bumbling idiots and dropped the ball when it was their moment to shine, or Ratchet, who faded into the background after the first film, got.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Totally This.

19. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I feel the same. It's almost sad when none of the characters dying could've made any impact on me by movie 3. If sideswipe died, i wouldn't care. If Dino died, who the hell would care? If bumblebee died, everyone would be happy except all the little 10 year olds because bumblebee is the only mildly developed character made especially for the kids. Optimus, at this point, wouldn't earn a single tear from anyone unless he died permanently with no 4th or 5th movie to come with chances of his return. Honestly, this time around, the only Con that died that actaully impacted me was Starscream.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    People are again confusing charatcer developement for characterization. Ironhide had plenty of characterization. Tough, little wise-cracking, supportive of Prime. He doesn't need developement. He was perfectly fine with the characterization he was given. He was as much a character as G1 Ironhide and people still sob over his death. You don't need to have a novel written about you for the audience to care. You just need to have a visible personality. Some character the audience can understand and relate to, like the tough, supportive guy or helpful old man. Que had what, five lines? Two at Nest, three in Chicago and people still found his death sad. Ironhide was a constant through the movies, buddies with Lennox, always with something Eastwood-ish to say. Hell, he even had his own running gag of calling people "punks." That's more than enough to make him an understandable character. You don't need to weep buckets, just go "aw man, poor Ironhide."

This whole thread just reeks of hipster "I felt a certain way that is different from the norm such and such 'IMO'"-ism.