Missed out on a couple of auctions.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jingjing, May 19, 2010.

1. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

A guy on eBay.co.uk sold a bunch of Pretenders, and all of them ended with like three seconds from each other. I managed to snatch myself a complete Gunrunner, a nearly complete Waverider and Carnivac for 28 pounds. But, the guy also had a complete minty Bomb Burst, Roadblock, a nearly complete Snarler, Landmine and Bludgeon. The ended for 6, 17, 8, 5 and 10 respectively. Whata f u c k? I wanted all of them, and I would've gotten em if it wasn't for that stupid seller. Has something like this happend to anyone here?

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I missed out on a cheap RiD Scourge today.

So now I'll go and order a Black Convoy.

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I'd have put in bids earlier than 3 seconds from the end ;) 

4. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About a month ago I was watching an auction for an Energon Omega Supreme. The auction only had half a minute left and I was ready to enter an amount that was about $20 higher than the current bid. Just as it got down to the last couple of seconds, someone placed a bid ONE DOLLAR more than what I had typed in. Before I could react and retype it, the auction ended. :lol 

5. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    I would go to GIXEN - Free eBay Auction Sniper use their free Ebay sniping service, set up all of the auctions I was interested in, and set your prices and then after they were over see which ones I won.

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds like the autobid kicked in?

-edit-

Ah, the thrill of the snipe. Love it!

7. Jingjing

Hey c'mon, I always but in my bids 5 seconds before the auctions ends. I don't wanna bid up the price when it's like an whole hour left.

Yeah, I've considered that. But I've never lost an auction before that wasn't like, over my price range. Well, I'm going for the sniping service.

8. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    Fine, but realize that that's not the seller's fault, it's your choice. Hardly fair to call the seller stupid because of it. I doubt the seller was purposeful in this way, but it might actually be smart for a seller to list auctions close together to force buyers to put in bids earlier and 'bid up' the price instead of waiting to snipe.

A smart seller might do that, though buyers might call the seller 'stupid'.

Conversely, A smart buyer might wait to bid, though sellers are going to be annoyed and think the buyer is 'stupid'.

Two sides of the same coin, is that really a reason to insult someone you don't know?

9. Jingjing

Of course that's a a clever idea, but not in this particulary case; for a fact he would have earned a couple of more pounds if he had listened the auctions with some time apart.

Clearly, isn't that quite obvious?

I may have accidently giving him a bad rap (but still, it's not like I id'd the guy or anything), but to say that I insulted him is an overstatement; he's probably not aware of anything I wrote, and IF he were I doubt that he would care since my comment wasn't really directed towards him. I was merely expressing my, at the time, exagerated anguish towards losing the auctions at such a low price, even though how silly that may seem for a man in my age.

The seller may list his different auctions ending times as he sees fit, that's not for me to decide.

10. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    It wouldn't have mattered in this particular case... you can say that now in hindsight, but when the seller is making the listings a week ago he doesn't know that.

Whether he's aware or not, whether you ID him or not, you're calling someone 'stupid'. Someone calling you stupid behind your back is better than doing it to your face? Maybe, but neither is cool.

To me 'stupid' is an insulting word, I don't see an overstatement. I'm not saying it's an extreme offense, but it is an insult, a plain, simple insult.

Ok, if you understand yourself that you're over-reacting, then fine, that's really all my is point. You missed out, no reason to blame someone else. There's no big deal here. Or as some might say: "Cool story bro."

11. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Difference of opinion. I personally don't view 'stupid' as insulting. Perfectly acceptable to use in times of frustration like "F-ing STUPID computer crashed on me!".

But as for the main point of thread, whenever I see an item on ebay go for less than I was willing to pay but I missed out I'm okay because just because it sold for $5 doesn't mean that the winner wasn't willing to pay $20 whereas my limit was $10.

12. Jingjing

How can it be an insult towards the seller if he isn't aware, not to say that he isn't, I'm just curious. I know stupid is an insult, but how can it be insulting?

But to what degree? If I'd say a friend was stupid because he'd failed a class or something, that's a real insult. But when I say a seller on eBay is stupid because he listed a couple of auctions ending time close to each other, it's quite obvious that I don't know enough about him to even make that judgement. Simply you'll just have to feel the not so serious vibes in my post and be able to tell that everything I said wasn't all that literally. And that's why, I think he wouldn't care even if he saw this thread.

13. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    If I write a book but it never gets published, does that mean I never wrote it?

I said you insulted him by saying 'stupid seller'. You insulting someone happens when you say the insult. That's your action.

I did not say he was insulted, because, yep, he probably didn't hear it. The person isn't insulted until he hears it. That's their action.

Your action had come to fruition, while their action probably hadn't. If you don't care about that distinction, then is there anything more to discuss? Though when person A talks shit about person B to me, behind person B's back, I think person A is insulting person B.

Dude, you say you have not so serious vibes in your post, fine, cool. But why then are you attributing big degrees to my post and my use of the word 'insult' to describe the word 'stupid'? In the sentence from me you quoted I even say I'm not talking about an extreme offense, it's not a large degree. And in parts you didn't quote from me, I again say it's not a big deal, which was my point.

You say it's obvious you have not so serious vibes in your post, I'll trust you in what you say about yourself. However probably my motivation to post was because I've seen people be seriously angry/pissed about such stuff and I thought I could help make them see the issue as not a big deal. But I guess you weren't such a case. However that wasn't clear or obvious because, sadly there are people that do feel fully fine in making such judgements of others on such little information.

Now, if it's such a small deal and not any serious vibes at all, and it matters so little, then why did you ever start the thread to begin with?

14. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I've been there. I missed out on a MIB complete Apeface for like $75. The frustration is very real. I've also made out pretty well on eBay before as well, so I think this stuff kinda balances out. Plus, it sounds like you got some pretty cool late-g1 action out the experience anyway, so, it's not a total loss.

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I haven't missed out on any auctions as I do not ebay but i have lost out on items i have spotted a couple day before i got paid on various online TF/toy stores. Tis annoying to lose out on such a good deal due to lack of available funds.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am too neurotic for auctions at this stage of the game, so I stick to Buy It Now. But when i started on eBay, i missed out on a lot of G1 items and was pissed off to the highest level of pissivity, lol.

i don't lay blame on the seller for anything other than the S&H highway robbery or shoddy service i get from them.

trying to debate fault over the auction clock to me is kinda futile, though.

happy hunting, anyway.

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The OP gets a bargain from a seller and then calls him stupid... hmm.

Personal responsibility. If you want something, it's up to you to do what you need to do to get them. You must've known right from the start they were all finishing at the same time.

And I HATE people who bid in the last five seconds, so (with my ebay seller hat on) I'm secretly laughing at you...

On a somewhat-related topic, I sold some Henkei on ebay recently and GOOD GRIEF prices went through the roof! Didn't realise they were worth that much! Thanks to everyone who bid...

18. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just use myibay.com nowadays...

19. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh? Which Henkei did you sell?

20. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I really hate eBay most of the time.

I'm sniped 75% of the time if it's anything remotely popular or sought after.

Even with "Buy it now" I seem to always pick the sellers with good feedback, but they wait two weeks before sending my item.