Missassembled as standard.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Feb 18, 2009.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I was pondering how a fair number of Hasbro Transformers and sometime Takara ones are Missassembled in many or all cases and was thinking perhaps it might be worth trying to make a list along with any possible fixes for such instances.

I've included a list of the ones I could think of please contribute any other you are aware of.

Beast Wars:

Transmetal 2 Dragon Megatron : Has his lever for his wings on the wrong way around, Fixed by undoing the screw and reversing its position so it allows the locking of the dragon wings.

The same flaw is present on the Japanese one and on the Blue repaint as Cryotech.

Tarantulas & Blackarachnia (some might say an error) the way they come shows more paint and a smooth side to their hands - but regretably stops elbow articulation.
    Fixed by popping the hands of and swapping left for right.

Transformers Universe
    Battle in a Box Ultra Magnus had his forearm covers on the wrong sides - this blocked the function of his elbow joint.

There's two ways to fix it one way is to pop the elbows off and slide the part off backwards but this is not easy to do as the part is not designed to come off and has to be wiggled a bit to get it off -as you need to keep the hands on the correct sides but swap the outer covers over. some people found it easier to hammer the pins out oh hhis arms to give themselves more clearance - it's not easy but improves the arms in robot mode and the fit of the vehicle mode smokestacks slightly if you can be bothered to make the attempt.
    It's not a major problem as the toy still Transforms OK even with the arms on wrong.

RID / CAR ROBOTS :
    Megatron / Gigatron / Galavatron & Diatlas.

The forepaws of this mold are actually made in left and right form but sometimes they are muddled up or you get two left ones or two right ones - this stops them folding in properly in robot mode - FIX, check to see if you have two the same or if they have got swapped right to left - if they fit snuggly in robt mode they are correctly assembled if they don't fit flush and stick out crooked then they might need popping of and swapping left to right.

Cybertron / Galaxy Force: Ransack.

All the versions of this mold except Botcon Rattrap have the back wheels on upside down - however this might not be worth correcting as though it looks silly in vehicle mode - it allows for better arm movement of the robot mode and also allows for a trike form to be made - if the wheels are on the correct way up this is not the case. - if it bothers you the pins can be hammered out and the parts swapped but it is not easy to do and I would not recomend it in this case.

Cybertron Voyager Leo Breaker / Nemesis Breaker and Classics Leo Prime.

I only recently noticed this after Leo Prime came out but he seems to have his heel spurs on the wrong side the screw holes show on the outside of the toy - it seems more likely that the original intent was for them to be on the inside of his legs in all modes - so simply unscrew and swap the ankle spurs and it makes the beast and claw modes instantly look better and makes little difference to the look of the robot mode.

Classics Voyager Optimus Prime.

All Hasbro versions of this mold including Botcon Shattered Glass Optimus & Ultra Magnus seems to have the upper bicep on wrong swapped between left and right. Unfortunately this means that the screw hole shows on the outside of his arms needlessly.

Due to the way his shoulder panels are attached this is difficult if not impossible to swap without some breakage. and it's pretty minor so I'd suggest leaving it.

Twin pack (Deluxe) Tank Megatron.
    He comes out of the box with his feet on backwards - the skinny part is the front - and you can swap the toes over by unscrewing the legs - try to wiggle the part out without taking the leg completely to pieces then you can preserve the glue seal on his shin. - once corrected the toes fold under the back of the tank turret better and it improves the look of the tank a bit.

MOVIE 2007 Leader Class Optimus Prime.

He has not just one but two missassembled pieces - both easily fixed with a little patience and a screw driver.

His Upper arms have got swapped around the wrong way there two ways to address this you can either remove the whole middle section of his arms and swap the middle unit left for right or you can take the arm to pieces completely - but I found the second time I did it it was a lot lot easier to simply unscrew the should and the fore arms and take the whole middle of his arm out and swap left for right (the whole thing) they are symetrical so it does not matter that the back becomes the front when swapped over and now the screw holes are on the inside and the circles visible on the CGI model are now in the correct spot.

His other missassembled part is his knee joints they are upsidedown and swapped wrong the way they are assembled slightly inhibits putting him back into truck mode and it also limits his knee articulation a couple of clicks.

You don't have to take his whole legs to pieces to swap the part fortunately as parts of his legs are glued together.

The piece in his knee can be prised out and swapped wihout breaking the glue seal or disingaging any pins. just remove what screws you can and its not to hard.

When the legs are correct he has two little truncated cylinders on his legs in a position visible on the CGI model that were previously hidden.

TITANIUM's 6"

Generation One Ultra Magnus. has a problem in that he like the previously mentioned optimus has both his upper arms and his legs on wrong.

The correct way with his shoulders swapped over so the launchers are the right way up in robot mode - and his knees are on backwards too meaning he has less articulation that is designed into the toy - simply unscrew the relevent parts and exchange them.

Transformers Animated Leader Class Bulkhead

Some might like to swap Bulkhead's Buzzsaw blade so it's the correct way up - it does run a little smoother if inverted. simply unscrew the foerarm and flip the blade inside it's mechanism.

LEGENDS SCALE :

Sometimes the part on Legends Blades' backpack is upsidedown which can inhibit the helicopter Transformation - the part can be swapped by popping it off and flipping it the right way around but the mold seems to also sometime have had a mold change on some runs that actually makes it impossible to make the Helicopter mode at all properly where extra plastic has been added and it buts up against his head - the only way to fix this is to carefully shave the inner part of the backpack down so it matches the original dimension as seen on Legends Whirl and Legends Evac.

Legends Razorclaw often has his tail on upsidedown - simply unscrew him and fip it then it plugs into the back of the toy in robot mode securing it in place better.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Here are a couple I can think of:

Universe 1.0 Ultra Magnus - his left and right forearms were swapped, resulting in severe hampering of his elbow articulation. The same problem affected early versions of the Cybertron repaint of Bendy Prime, too.

Energon Storm Jet - his left and right thighs were swapped, too. This kept his lower legs from folding up completely for combined mode. The Universe 2.0 Silverbolt repaint reportedly has the same problem.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Energon Steamhammer - The vehicle mode treads were on the wrong side; the one that was supposed to be on the left was on the right and the one that was supposed to be on the right was on the left. Each tread had a tab on the side that was supposed to lock the waist together in robot mode, but the standard assembly had these tabs by the robot head. The fix was just a case of taking out a couple of screws on each tread and switching each tread to the opposite side. This problem was also present in Classics Devastator.

More if I think of them...

4. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't 10th anniversary Rhinox have backwards shoulders?

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Animated Soundwave tended to have his knees swapped. Two minute job with a screwdriver.

And amusingly I just noticed my Cybertron Jetfire Legends figure's arms were on wrong and needed swapping. Just popped them off at the shoulders and switched them over. :) 

6. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    primal prime the hinge brackets that connect the cockpit to the body are on the wrong sides. note the cockpit doesnt drop all the way down in jet mode like OPOP simpy unscrew the 2 hinge brackets and swap em

7. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    Animated Blitzwing's biceps are on the wrong arms

Masterpiece Starscream's (US version at least) fingers are on backwards

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Actually, the wings work fine. The flaw is that the lever that locks his neck is on backwards.

9. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Uh?

10. decor1

decor1 Hey, take it easy!

I wasn't aware of Movie Leader Class Prime's knee joint issue. Does anyone have a pictorial or better explanation of how to fix this? I did a search and found nothing.

11. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'd done this and completely forgotten that I'd ever done it - I have to attack Transformers with Screw drivers so often I don't even get that anoyed about it any longer.

Yes that is what I said the lever is Backwards - nothing to do with the wings - Incidently - a little tip for Megatron so might miss is that his rocket can be stored in the slots in his wings.

I think it came up on the Allspark once in discussion I remember reading about it on their site at the time.

It's not that hard to do if you're careful. you don't gain much by it just slightly more jointage to the knees and a slightly increased acuracy to the CGI model.

Just unscrew most of the screws in the legs which enable the legs to have enough give to get the knees out to swap them without seperating the pieces you can't split which is at the top of the legs due to the way they pinned..

You take the lower legs to pieces to gain access to the knee joints from the bottom and put the pieces to one side.

Then you unscrew the screws in the silver pieces at the lower part (you can't unscrew the top as its pinned) there's just enough give to wiggle the knees out to swap them with out the full disassembly.

The when you are sure you have all the parts in the proper place and you've gained a 90 degree knee joint from the process screw everything backinto place.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    No, I mean the lever has nothing to do with the wings at all. The only thing it affects is the neck.
    The wings have a totally different lever that operates them, on Megatron's back.

13. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Universe Repugnus, and Botcon Buzzclaw, Dirge, and Virulent Clone all have their beast mode mandibles assembled backwards, giving them the infamous "Frito Bandito" bug-lizard 'stache. BW Buzzclaw's mandibles did not have this problem.

14. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

This is an awesome thread!

I did manage to swap around Classics Grimlocks shoilders so the screws were in the back. Couldn't fix the shoulder tabs though.