Misinformation campaign, good idea?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Moy, May 13, 2009.

1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    With all honesty the misinformation was meant for this movie, to me it was a good idea.
    -For one, considering how well the 1st movie was, ROTF most likely the biggest film this year, needed an information lock-down. So yeah, I support Bay & Co. w/ in doing this for the movie.
    -And secondly, I'm sure it was also done w/ the fans in mind.
    do u agree? discuss.

Attached Files:

2. MEGAMAN X FAN

MEGAMAN X FAN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    misinformation is stupid end of story

3. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I'll support it.

Now that we're winding down towards the final stretch, I'm doing what I can to avoid the "I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS" or "Check this out!" threads because I want Bay to throw some curve balls at me. The misinformation campaign really blurrs the line between what's actually in the movie, and whats a lie. It works. It keeps us on our toes. It doesn't intentionally spoil the movie for us. It gets us talking.

So thumbs up for :bay  and his misinformation campaign.

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Michael Bay is doing a good job with this. It blurrs the real leaks and everything to make us think "hey, is that true?", but it sure is tought for all the people trying to edit wikis and stuff with everything new because it all turns into "I heard it from this guy" rather than fact. For all we know, every rumor we've heard so far is a lie.

5. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Well-Known Member

It didn't really work, but I admire that he's trying to keep the details down pat.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No. It is dumb, and it has mostly failed. An example is Bay saying Megatron is not in ROTF, after we have seen many art samples and figures of him.

Also, what's with the picture of Bonecrusher?

7. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought that the misinfo campaign actually had potential, especially with the vagueness of the title: Revenge of the Fallen. The Fallen could be Megatron or the Fallen. However, the leaked toys, call sheets, and Bay's sometimes ridiculous claims (Megs not returning, Arcee dying) ruined it.

8. cnic

cnic Decepticon

So far, the only thing I see working from the misinformation is the Constructicons.Is it 6? Is it 7? Is it 12?

9. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    What Mechafire said, especially since Megatron is NO DOUBT in the movie, despite Bay saying that he isn't. Way to cover that up, Bay.

10. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

I appreciate the attempt to keep the story and details locked up, but I do wish some of it wasn't completely laughable (Bay claiming Megatron wasn't in).

11. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I support it. A lot. The misinformation leads to speculation which leads to anticipation of the movie. And then the movie happens to be totally different than you thought it would be and you gladly see it a second, third, and fourth time.

12. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    ^What he said.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While I can admire a film maker wanting to save something for the fans I think the misinformation campaign was the wrong way to do it. Plus I'm not sure that there is any shocker really worth saving because this isn't exactly The Empire Strikes Back.

To me Bay looked, well I guess there isn't a nice way of saying it, Bay looked rather foolish saying things like Megatron wasn't back when there were so many things that said yes he was.

Also seems like a project where there are going to be toys, comic books, underwear and every other product under the sun it will never be able to keep a lot of secrets. So even when the film makers were doing their best to keep things under wraps there wasn't much they could do to stop the comic books or Chinese toy sellers from letting information out of the bag. Plus give a bit of credit for Transformers fans being really good at digging up information.

The part that really sort of gets to me is that misinformation is just a really nice way of saying I'm going to lie to you. Not really crazy about people out and out telling me lies when a sorry no commit at this time would work just about as well. Then again I've never really had a friendly feeling toward the director so maybe it doesn't matter.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The misinformation strategy? Good idea, in theory.

But with a movie with such extensive merchandising, simply not possible.

15. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Bay just makes himself look more and more like the amalgam of an ass and an idiot with his "misinformation." We had full CG renders of Megatron and Einstein there kept on with his "he's not in this one." Suuuure he's not Michael. Suuuure.

I'll end with this: You don't mess with nerds. They'll burn your house down.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    did not like it at all, enough said

17. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i dont think it's such a bad idea. i think they could have done a much better job of it though. and i definitely approve of how much info they kept on the lockdown. but again, they could have done it better.

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Um, both? The Constructicon issue (six or seven), the Demolishor/Scavenger thing, the exact roles of some of the big names not being spelled out yet (Soundwave, Ravage), the 'do the Cycle Sisters combine or not' thing, the entire roster of robots...there's enough out there that I should be surprised when I actually watch the film.

However, so much has leaked out (and likely will leak out before the film hits) that any hope of 'Megatron's back!' being a major surprise for everyone went out the window...how long ago, exactly? Plus Michael Bay's statements regarding Arcee and Megatron's supposed nonrole made any campaign come off as patronizing.

19. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

For the non-TF fans who might have heard his soundbite, they'd believe it and ZOMG Megs is a surprise.

For the TF fans, just look at the ridiculous amount of rage that filled these forums when he said that. People were talking non-stop about how Bay is a liar, etc...and it generated free publicity for the movie. Any noise is good noise when it comes to a movie, and Bay made everyone talk when he dropped his poorly-hidden bombshell.

The man knows how to get people chatting up his movie, that's for darn sure ;) 

20. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I think it's a good idea, as long as they don't screw with our minds by saying Frank Welker will be voicing Soundwave and then having turn out he's not =/ lol