Misformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cyclone_X, Apr 20, 2006.

1. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yea, I thought that was going to be it as well, and I had prepared myself for a good laugh, but that got transformed into disgust.

Gotta like this part:

Yea, sell to people that are after parts for their incomplete toys. :D 

Anyway, as for this "art" it's all very similar. It's either a ball of nothing, or a big circle of toys that look like they're holding hands and dancing around the may-pole. la la la la-la.

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Well, whatever. Doesn't make my blood boil or anything, but doesn't move me either. I think he just started doing this for fun (nothing wrong with that, really), tacked on some deeper meaning and phony baloney social commentary to try and justify it as artsy to artsy people and was then overwhelmed that people bought into it. Same old same old. Good for him.

3. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

I think that he has way too much time on his hands.

The whole thing reminds me of a Redneck Truck, a lot of colors, a lots of year models, a lot of different brands, and about everyone considers it a motorized turd.

4. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

I personally don't like most of modern art, but that flower and the one called ex-girlfriend are pretty neat. I reckon they'd look better in person. Add to that the fact that you could pick them up and rearrange them is a really nice feature. I have to admit, looking at them makes me sad, but I still like the concept and am glad to see something like this. I especially like the 'instructions' that he makes for each sculpture.

I think the bigger problem here is that so many of us cherish our tf's to such an extent that it's a sacriledge for this guy to take them apart like that. We look at those and see each of the individual parts and then see the value of the figure it came from, not the sculpture itself.

5. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    To make my point without flamebaiting as much as possible...

That's not art. Art is cock-slapping him across the face followed with a punch to the nose. Problem with that is he'd probably enjoy it too much.

It's not that I hate what he does to the toys - they're just toys for Heaven's sake - it's that people are trying so hard to be "artistic" that they're willing to look at piles of toys in odd shapes and call it art.

What I did in the toilet at work today is the Mona Lisa compared to this joke.

6. The_Angelus_San

The_Angelus_San Well-Known Member

I felt like i was in a very, VERY bad car crash to say the least.

Reminds me of that G1 episode where the Constructicons made (i think it was Blitzwing) a throne out of a bunch of pwned Autobots. But yeah, owwie... I see half those figs and cringe.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Somehow that makes it even worse.:wink: 

8. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Ops:

Bravo. Too much ungood duckspeak going on. Nobody in the field seems to see the need to think before they talk. Fortunately there are plenty of people who don't think before they spend.

Flame on.

It's not so much that these are all random parts. They are that, but the real trouble is they ALL LOOK THE SAME. They are just randomly assembled and randomly named, if you ask me, with way too much throwaway commentary. Ooooo, everybody but the artist is bad. Ooooo, evil society. Blaugh. TrypticonX had more to say (on att way back) and he was a random gibberish generator.

I DO get modern art. Spend several years and considerable money studying the methods of seeing and producing beauty and portraying truth and then spend the rest of your life vomiting out the products of a diseased brain. I am of collages with pithy phrases about abuse or AIDS, sick of random abstract colors, and sick, sick, sick of people who try to justify it all.
    The homeowner who mows his lawn to make the neighborhood look better has done more social good than the last 50 years' worth of modern artists.

...Grr. Flame off.

Fred (of Fred's workshop) had more valid
    social commentary in his kitbashes anyway. :) 

(They are here:
    http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/customs.html)

9. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    that's art?

I mean ... I hack a part a bunch of crap and stick it together in a random pattern, and that's art!?

On a side note, I tried to "broaden my horizons", so I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago. There was an art film showing, so I decided to watch. It was a guy dragging a guitar across the ground ... for 35 minutes.

7 minutes into it, I heard a guy start to cry.

10. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    +10 points to Ops.

RE: the sculptures

Kinda interesting, a bit over the top, a bit pretentious.

11. Autobus Prime

Llamatron:

I like the Commander Keen signature.
    Those are great games. Drink your
    Vorti-cola!

12. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I have an uncle who does "found art" which is basically just finding junk and making other junk with it. I never understood it, but I hear he is big in Japan, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

13. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

The entire thing is somewhat interesting. Bull, yeah. But I nontheless find interesting his interpretation of these MisFormers as those people caught between the adult and child mode.

14. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    You know, I am a big art fan, and I must admit, I find these pieces somewhat interesting. This does indeed classify as art in that it is a medium manipulated by the artist to convey a meaning. We as the audience do not have to know that meaning for it to be art, that's why people study it, to find that meaning or even make up their own. Perfect example: who here watched Neon Genesis Evangelion and knew what was going on? Anno specificly left out the explanation, so that people would have to figure it out. A similar thing is done with many works of art.

That being said, I think everyone here is WAAAY too close to the source material to appreciate this. Instead of seeing a sculpture, we just all see 'OMG!!! THAT'S A RARE G2 AUTOROLLER!! DEAR GOD, WHY DID HE HAVE TO DESTROY IT?!?!?!?'

15. Dr Wheeljack

Dr Wheeljack Well-Known Member

WTF art my ass!

16. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

I know what I like and I like what I see.

That said, the whole pretentious art thing doesn't interest me so I didn't bother reading the article. All that matters to me is that I find the final product appealing.

17. mizuki088

mizuki088 Well-Known Member

They are 10 times better than those mis transformers in those Walmarts, TRUS.
    A master piece of ART!!!

Walmarts and TRUS got a lot more to learn

18. Autobus Prime

X:

Well, Bungs, this is just what I meant by 'throwaway' meanings. Mung together some toys and call it a symbol of stunted adolescence? It's far too *easy*. Art can be many things but it is never to be easy. Going a little farther, perhaps trying to show the lacking element that caused said growth to fail, now THAT would redeem the art, but I don't see that happening.
    You see what I mean?

And frankly, part of the negative reaction might well be a feeling of insult by this artist, that our particular collecting habits are being used to symbolize stunted adolescence.

Like I said, an artist might as well put together some naked Barbie dolls and clipped-out newspaper collage art. Negative body image adolescent girls evil society blah blah blah. Tell us something we haven't heard a million times already. Seriously. Better than that,these artists could give us some idea what to DO about these freaking social evils which they so courteously point out in their pharisaic way.

19. butz

butz slippery when wet

I think it would've gone over a lot better (with me, at least) if he just made the sculptures and said "there they are!". Its the tacked on meaning to justify them as art that really turns me off; it would turn me off even if they weren't made from something I was interested in.

20. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As some people mentioned I thought this was about TFs transformed incorrectly, unintentionally.

I couldn't see to the end of the page. It hurt.
    Lio Convoy :cry