Misbehaving Kitten - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matty, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So a great thing about this community is the diversity of expertise we all have. Well, I need a kitten expert and some advice before my fiance rips my head off.

My fiance and I rescued a kitten about a month ago. He was part of a litter that had been abandoned. We took him in as a family pet. If I had to guess, he's no more than 12 weeks old, more than likely he's 10 weeks. Here's the issues I'm having:

- Peeing on a select set of rugs. His litterbox is in a bathroom and he'll pee on the bath mats on occasion, but he uses his litterbox frequently.

- He does this strange thing where he'll suck on his own Johnson. Initially we thought it was a UTI, but after discovering he purrs extremely loudly while doing this I did research and this might be a result of being weaned off too early. The Vet confirmed this as a strong possibility.

I've done my research on the matter and have come up with some solutions I'll try, but has anyone else experienced these kind of scenarios? And what did you do to correct them ... if it's correctable?

Thanks in advance TFW.

2. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Peeing on things makes me think he needs to be fixed. Don't know what to say about his other problem though...

3. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Play with your kitten in spots where he's peed. Also feed him in those spots. As for his Johnson, he's probablly just cleaning it and cleaning the scent glands. It doesn't necessarly mean he was weaned to early. My cat does it too.

4. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

You need to PM MoonScream, that woman is the cat whisperer of TFW, and has some pretty good instincts.

5. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My younger cat used to pee in places she wasn't supposed to, but we were able to train her pretty easily. Having your kitten fixed should hopefully get rid of the territory marking instinct, and may help put an end to peeing outside the litter box. I've never heard of that other problem.

6. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:

that is the funniest sentence I have ever read on the internet. I have no advice to offer, just wanted to point out the hillarity. If I did the whole "sig" thing, that would be sigged

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Admit it fellas. We all kinda wish we could... of course we wouldn't leave the house...

Anyway watch My Cat from Hell. perhaps you can spot similar behavior problems.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm glad I was even up for consideration :thumb 

9. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    You'd think so, but in my experience that doesn't fix the problem. We've kept three of the cats I've rescued in our garage for over a year now, because every time we try leaving them out, they'll pee on the couch, in our beds, or in our dirty laundry. All of them are fixed.

It's a territorial insecurity. The hormone reduction via neutering only helps the hormonal insecurity.

10. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Also keep a spray water bottle handy to spritz him when he engages in unwanted behavior (a squirt gun would work also). It doesn't hurt him but it will deter him from that behavior when he sees the bottle. My parents had three cats and they all reacted well to this method.

11. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    The only thing I can add is to make sure the litter box stays clean. If it's too stinky, cat's will find another place to go.

12. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have an 8 week old male kitten so take it from me

First of all he doesn't need to be fixed yet 6 onths old is the youngest they will neuter. Are you sure it's his johnson he is sucking on because at 10 weeks old it shouldn't be long enough or noticible enough for him to do that. The vet is probbly right that he wasn't weened correctly especially if the litter was abandoned.

There are some sprays and stuff you can get for him to stop peeing on things. It can be a territorial thing thing but it takes some time you need to keep putting him in the litter pan to show where it is and what he is supposed to use it for.

It sounds cruel but after he pees on the rug rub his nose in it (not harshly) and then put him in the litter pan so he knows oh this is what it smells like so this is what it is so I have to go here with that.

Does he poop on the rug too or just pee? Does he poop in the litter pan?

You need to spend time with him, kittens are playful (ours is too playful, I'll post pics in the cat owners thread) so play with him and try to get him on dry food asap, that may also help with the sucking thing.
    Does he try to suck on your fingers at all?? That is usually a better indication that he wasn't weened properly, if it is just his johnson well then that might be something else.

Granted I am not a vet and am just speaking from my own personal opinons.

13. GAUGE

GAUGE Transformers Fan since 1985

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    stick a couple coins or screws in an old can (coffee can or bean can or something to that effect) Cat's hate loud noise Period. whenever he's about to do something he's not supposed to, ya shake it. if that doesn't work, you spray him with a spray bottle or small water pistol. you don't need to drench him. what I tend to do when they are that little is hold them by the scruff of their neck and look them in the eyes and tell them "No" show them what not to do and then send him/her on their way. The stern voice while looking at them directly in the eyes will let them know your in charge. Male cate at least to me are way more difficult to manage then females because males are trying to run the home as if they are the Alpha. and yes, even Cats have Alphas.

My cat chewie respects his place in my home it took me about 2 months after fixing him to get him to finally mind me. anytime he did something wrong I'd roll him over onto his back and tell him"No" in a stern voice(so he'd learn that I am boss) (when cats are on their back it means they are submitting) I made a time out spot for him and put him there anytime he did something wrong. (I used a chair) anytime he knew he did something wrong, all I'd have to do is call his name out and say "hey" or "no" and he'd run straight to the chair and sit on it. I've got him well trained.

I'm no expert by any means but being stern with them and showing them who's in charge can help them to learn their place in the home. Cat's can be very difficult to manage if your not consistent with them. they are creatures of habit and have extremely short term memories. unlike Dogs. Being Consistent is key, along with Patience and Love. Our pets are kind of like small children, they need to learn a routine, they get used to that routine and you can't break your routine.

as others have said, get him fixed As soon as you can. and cats can be 2-3 months old and be fixed. there's vets that will do it for free.

14. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This can work quite well. Both of my cats (usually) stop what they're doing pretty quickly as soon as we pull it out, or squirt them with it once.

15. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Keep the litterbox SPOTLESS. Cats are, like people, finicky about the cleanness of their toilet.

If he's doing that to his wiener, he could be in pain. If a UTI has been ruled out, it could be something like a urethral obstruction. I worked at a cat shelter and one of them had this issue (his was severe where surgery was required).

Have you tried switching foods? Perhaps he needs a food to help with urine pH balance. Cats that are having a painful time peeing tend to avoid the litterbox. They get into this thought pattern that whenever they use the box it hurts, so they switch to other places.

Another solution? Maybe he doesn't like the box. Some cats don't like covered boxes and won't use them, while others don't like open boxes. I'd switch them out. It'd be a cheap solution.

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    One of our cats nursed on his own belly when he was a kitten. The vet mentioned that it was possibly due to weaning too early.

He stopped on his own though. Can't remember how long it took but one day we noticed that it was quiet when we tried to sleep instead of hearing the loud suckling noises he made.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

gas & match = Firecat!

[​IMG]

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Has he got toys? My sister's cat used to slobber his own nub and then she bought him an awesome kitty toy with wibbly rubbery bits and he decided that was more fun than doing stuff to himself. Hmm... maybe we should try that with my brother...
    JohnsonKitty evolved to FlamboPussy!

19. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people have offered some good solutions (except for ChaosMuffin, that wasn't cool people have actually done that here, they even tied a firecracker to one and stuck one up its you know what and lit it, they are now doing time for animal cruelty)

SOmething else to check for is diabetes. I know it sounds weird and the example I am giving you is on a dog but check (that's the bad thing about animals is they can't tell you what hurts so you have to check and pay for everything its' hit or miss and elimination)

BUT my dog is older 6 years but he was hosue broken. Well we noticed Bunny needed out quite a bit and was spending a lot of time cleaning herself down there. Then she started peeing everywhere. We would wake up in the morning and instead of asking to be put out there were pee puddles EVERYWHERE. The vet at first also thought UTI (urinary Tract Infection) but turns out she was a diabetic and I bad one. She takes insulin twice a day now and there was a time where we thought we were going to lose her as she couldn't even keep down water and she was totally lethargic and could barely walk.
    So have your vet check for that if you can.
    But most importantly go to your vet. None of us on here are vets and can only offer our suggestions and experiences.

20. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats one hot pussy.....................cat.