MISB versus loose

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megamus, Mar 30, 2008.

1. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Ok, here is what I've been thinking. Age old question, do you keep your collection sealed or loose? Ok, that question has been done to death so how about this one. Most of my G1, G2 collection is loose or MIB almost nothing is sealed. I have almost every Beast Wars figure MISB or MOSC and I also have them all loose complete. Do I keep the loose set and get rid of the sealed stuff or do I keep the sealed stuff? Something else to add. I have been trying to collect the japanese versions and have a pretty good start on them. The japanese BW are boxed but can be opened. Also keep in mind that I am one of the few people who like Beast Wars almost as much as G1. I love the show and love the figures. So there you have it, I even thought about putting both in the junkion exchange and see which response is the best. But decided against it as it might disappoint someone if it swings against what they want. In either case you can expect to see a pretty big sales thread soon for one or the other.
    Let me know what you think, I can't decide.

2. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This should go in the Toys Disc board.

Anywho, I think you should keep the figures the way you prefer them. But if you want to actually sell your BW figures, MISB/MOSC would be better for you financially. And, since its an older line, chances are collectors looking to pick those figures up would prefer them in the best shape possible.

3. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

MyThread, (Real men open their packages) has been dealing with this for weeks, so better to enter in that one.

4. megamus

News Credits:
    My problem is specific, not like yours which is broad. Thanks for the comment though.

5. OmegaDead

look in my thread for my reply (real men) and I do think it is pretty much the same (thread wise that is, I have been gettin' alot of flak from the MISB crew)

6. OmegaDead

and my thread is broad? In the title it implies either you open your toys or not.
    Your either on one side or the other, so I don't know what your talkin' about except feeding off my thread.

Edit-Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  7. megamus

News Credits:
    How am I feeding off your thread? Your the one who stated anything about your thread. I was simply asking what most people thought. I never even looked at your thread until you put in your two cents. I don't mind your comments regarding my question but I don't appreciate your comments towards me. That kind of thing is not tolerated on these boards.

8. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Personally speaking, I like to open 95% of my toys. I am a collector, but I also LOVE to play with the toys that I collect. If not for that, why else buy them? On the other side of the coin, the few that I keep packaged are exclusive two-packs and the like. 99% of the time I've already purchased the same figures separately to play with and display loose.

I completely know your situation, as I've pondered it myself many times over. I finally came to a logical conclusion. Like it or not, here it is. You have to ask yourself a question: "Do I have the INTENT to ever sell ANY of my figures in the future?" Keep in mind the word "intent." Notice I didn't ask myself simply "Will I," or "Should I." By saying INTENT, you imply that you PLAN to sell them for a profit later. Myself, I'll never do that. I like my figures far too well, and I have the benefit of having three little boys that one day will appreciate them just as much :) 

9. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

no way man every transformer i have has been opened already i hardly even keep the packaging for five minutes in the car i enjoy playing with them so i open them

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    That was uncalled for. And guess what? There was a thread about MISB or not before yours. And there was one before that. And yet still, another one before that. This idea pops of quite often and each time, gets different reponses.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  11. taz235

taz235 Well-Known Member

You do know hundreds of these threads have been started befor you wer even born.

12. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

And every time I see one of the general variety, I die a little more. :) 

This thread has a more specific purpose, because clearly megamus already opens his toys, and he's deciding whether to retain a loose or MIB set of BW figures.

I'm going to vote for selling the sealed set and keeping the loose one. You'll make more money off the sealed figures, they'll be more likely to sell, you already have other loose TFs and thus no pressing need to continue a trend of sealed stuff, and as good as the loose TFs you sell are, the ones in your collection must be even better, more than good enough to keep.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    allways Open except for a few.

14. megamus

News Credits:
    I appreciate all the response. Basically I would keep both as money is not the point here. Space on the other hand. I know this has been addressed many many times but cutting down on one's collection comes about because of many reasons. One of which is space. I wish I had wall space to display all those carded and boxed items but I don't. I think someone else would be able to appreciate these more than I can as they are sitting in totes. As for my loose collection, it too takes up space but I love to take down one I've not played with for a while and transform it. So I think it's decided.
    thanks again

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'd definitely sell my sealed toys before I sold my loose ones. They take up more room and don't do anything but look pretty. I like to fiddle with the loose ones so they're better in my eyes.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd sell the sealed and keep the loose.

Myself, I open mine and fiddle with them and display them for as long as I have space. After a while I'll have too many on display (always buying new TF :) ) so I put a batch of them back in the packaging and store them away safely. Best of both worlds: take out and enjoy and then have boxed for storage and possible future sellage if need be. Nothing to stop me unpacking them again later should I feel like it. And my favourites always stay out.

In the world of 'open/keep boxed' there doesn't have to be absolutes. :) 

17. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I suppose if space is the issue MISB ones definitely need to go. But I know, some of those boxes are so pretty!

I open my toys and chuck most of the packaging (I don't consider myself as a collector except for BWN stuff, I just like buying toys), but even so I keep some boxes. The biggest offender is Galaxy Convoy. The toy's been played to death by my kid (still loved :) ), so no point of keeping the box to add to its value or anything, but I just can't let it go.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  18. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I would sell the sealed and keep the loose set. Loose toys can be displayed in either mode, sealed ones cannot.

19. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Sell both. Beast Wars Blow! runs away.

j/k. sell the misb stuff, you'll get more money.

20. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

If you're going to collect the Japanese boxed figures, I'd set both the loose and sealed ones you currently own; at least with the Japanese boxes, you can open them up, fiddle with them and store them back once you're done.