MISB Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SC0RP0N0K, Jul 9, 2009.

1. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

I searched for this but can't seem to find a good answer so I thought I'd ask. Basically if you take a toy out of the box but keep everything that came with it and never applied the stickers, then put everything back in and taped up the box, how would someone ever know? In other words, say I have a G1 Megatron that I took out of the box and played with, but kept everything just as it came, then decided to sell it on eBay or something, put everything back inside the box and taped up the side just like it came, how would anyone ever know? In fact, what would stop me from being able to get it graded as MISB?

I don't ask this in order to do it, I'm more interested in knowing how to avoid it since I want to start collecting the old G1 figures MISB in the future.

Thanks

2. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

not sure how you'd do the tape. If you pull the tape it's gonna leave residue or maybe tear the package, and if you cut the tape it's obvious it's been cut.

and if you forget to wipe your prints off the toy and the new owner see's fingerprints on it when they open it, they're gonna know they were cheated.

(then again I've gotten new toys with fingerprints in the paint, so who knows?)

3. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's all about careful inspection!

Ask if a MISB item is double taped (this dosen't mean that a double taped item has been resealed) before buying especially on ebay. Most G1's came in the bubbles which are harder (but not impossible) to reseal/replace. If you want to be 99% sure (everyone makes mistakes) buy AFA graded items.

4. SC0RP0N0K

Well there are ways to remove the old tape without damaging the box. Also, a lot of the bigger G1 figures Megatron just had Styrofoam holding them in.

As for the AFA graders if it was really done right how would they know the item had been resealed?

5. jamiebrayley

jamiebrayley Well-Known Member

Why not email afa and ask them how to tell? Tell them you wish to submit an item but not sure if its been resealed and you would like some tips on how to check?

6. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

that's a very good idea, wonder what they'd say?

Problem is whether they'll be suspicious of you and think you're trying to figure out ways around it.

7. jamiebrayley

In my experience, AFA have always been very helpful and professional in their responses. There are some easy ways you can tell if a box flap has been opened (say to remove contents) so PM me if you like :) 

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    with the bigger stuff that has styrofoam inserts instead of bubbles holding the figure in place are easier to "make" MISB again....stuff like g1 prowl for example are harder to make MISB again cause of the bubble

9. jamiebrayley

Once a toy has been removed from the box it leaves some tell tale signs that cannot be covered up easily (well it would be tremendously difficult).

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The tape will give you away. AFA are expert graders, they'd spot your MIB-posing-as-a-MISB-toy a mile off.

11. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

Ive fallen victim to reseals. There are a million ways to tell, trust me its not as tough as you think to tell the difference.

12. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
  13. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I've bought lots of ungraded sealed G1 figures through eBay over the years.

My recommendations from everything I've learned:

1. The Golden Rule of Vintage TF Collecting: know what the KO's are, how to identify them vs. real TF's, who sells them, etc. Once you know what to look for, you can spot them from a mile away, even if the picture(s) on the Internet are small. One problem I've observed is that the sheer numbers of ungraded sealed TF's on the market have diminished greatly in recent years. Lots of vintage G1's are sold AFA-graded now, but unfortunately their prices haven't gone down to reflect this. Hence, they go largely unsold.

2. If you can't tell by pictures, request the seller to send you bigger ones to inspect boxes/cards from all angles. You can even ask the seller questions as to the history of the item and why it is still sealed after all these years. I don't do this, but maybe it's relevent to you.

3. Look for old retail price tags on the sealed boxes/cards. These are fairly good indicators that the item is real.

4. Know what has been reissued by Tak/Tomy over the years so as not to be fooled on that front.

5. Don't buy from unreputable sellers. Ever. My rule is to buy only from people who have a lot of seller feedback and have at least some history of selling vintage items. Otherwise I pass. Odds are I'll see the item somewhere else down the road.

I've had a few hiccups here and there, but in the end I was able to work things out with the sellers, who in those instances were simply unaware of what they were really selling. I guess I'm fortunate, but educating myself about this over the years has paid off, IMO. I know what I have is the real deal.

14. SC0RP0N0K

All great replies, that's for the input. I'm not too worried about KO's since there are a lot of threads on how to spot fakes, but the factory sealed issues are still a concern. I hate buying AFA graded ones since they are so damn expensive, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I may try asking AFA how they can tell, but I'm not sure I would get a response since that may fall under a trade secret. If I do get a response I'll be sure to post it.

15. JCMGTX

JCMGTX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All these are great responses. One thing also and maybe I'm crazy but the tape they used to seal them is very hard to duplicate in color and width. It seems they never used a "over the counter" tape.

16. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I think it comes down to simple ethics. Could you do that with a clear conscience just for the money?

I wouldn't--MIB and MISB are completely different. Once the box is opened--it's not sealed.

17. SC0RP0N0K

I couldn't do it either, but there are people out there that would which is why I brought up the question.

18. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Well, you could always ask other TF collectors for their input on whether an item is real.

19. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I see. Good man!:thumbs2: