MISB/MOSC or Loose?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unchained5150, Sep 12, 2011.

1. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear.

When you're looking for Transformers for sale do you go for figures that are opened or ones that haven't had the seals cracked yet? Do you display Transformers in the package or loose with their teammates/in battle dioramas?

Personally, if I can swing it at all, I like to buy in package but, that's only because I have a thing about opening Transformers lol. I like the entire process of the purchase; from hunt to finally getting it in hand, to opening and knowing that I was the first person to fiddle with it after the factory. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with buying loose either, I just relish that moment where you're fighting with the ties to free the Transformer from it's prison. Which, on a related note, I totally miss the metal ties instead of these new paper ties they have. They're entirely disappointing after growing up with and having to fight with a package to get to the Transformery center.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Pretty sure a lot of people posted about cat pee & whatnot the last time we had this thread, so I'll just mention that for the sake of doing so in my actual reply.

Also, I really get what you're saying about taking the toy's virginity, but if I trust that I'm buying form a collector who hasn't like, exposed his or her figures to pets & their urine, then I really have no issue buying loose, especially since I'm already paying the shipping. It's often like well, I'm paying a little extra for the after market of sorts, so I might as well opt for the loose figure if possible because I'll be opening it anyway.

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I try to get MIB when I can. I decided that if I buy from here, buying MISB is almost useless and more expensive. Every figure I ever got from a TFW member has been immaculate.

I also find that when people keep the box for an item, they tend to take better care of said item. Could just be me. Also, buying MIB saves you a bunch over MISB and you get all the same things you mentioned. You get sloppy seconds, but really, it is not that bad.

I get loose figures if I really don't care about that figure that much and I want to save a lot of money on it. Also, if it is TFW member, I am not that worried about loose. I am a lot more worried about loose with EBay.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well yeah, couse a lot of ebay shit is like... mistransformed, thrown into a dirty rug for the pic, and often listed as something completely different from that it is. Why people even do this is beyond me, especially when it's like 1 figure instead of an entire tub that could easily fit on a chair or table for 5 minutes.

At least people here generally care about their shit, and in turn make the deal more presentable because of it.

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, but I have also got some great stuff from EBay too. I always look at what else that guy sold. Then I could know better.

6. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a thing as well about opening up MISB figures as well, so I like buying loose. Saves me the anxiety.

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Also, MISB is not always best. There are figures that come with issues MISB. Unicron is a good example. So buying MIB or Loose controls for those factors, sometimes.

8. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I too have some weird issue with wanting MOSC/MISB, which is ironic because if everyoen was like me no one would take my loose figures off my hands, lol.

9. BreacherPrime

BreacherPrime Wreck & Rule

Exactly what you said OP, I love opening boxes. It's like opening Christmas presents.

I recently got a Classics Starscream loose and it just wasn't as fun.

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I had such anxiety opening my MOSC Classics figures. Everytime I took a ravor blade to the bubble I was seeing money fly away. LOL.

That is another reason Loose doesn't bother me that much.

11. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a bit of OCD with wanting MISB, lol. Loose figures, I generally only tolerate if it they're EZ/Legends (smaller scale doesn't bug me as much with price or condition) or if they're custom painted Deluxes or Voyagers. Otherwise, I always think of sloppy seconds stigma with buying loose stuff. Like others here, I just enjoy the feeling of opening fresh, minty boxes and getting at the virgin figs inside, heh.

And not that there are a lot of female Transformers (or any figures) around, but I make it a rule never to buy those loose, haha. Never know where those have been barring a black light and a personal chem lab. DX

12. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Buying older MISB/MOSC to open because you like taking a toy's "virginity" is just childish, especially if it's been reissued half a dozen times or you're going to toss it back on the auction block when you get bored of it a few weeks later, and doesn't make a whole lot of fiscal sense to boot.

13. unchained5150

Who said anything about looking for originals? I said that I prefer sealed Transformers for the novelty but, nothing against buying loose; especially from here. - How is any of that childish?

14. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Childish? I wouldn't go that far, dude. If that was the case, why do people like to buy new cars? It'll only lose 25% of its value as soon as you drive it off the dealership lot. People just tend to like brand new shiny things, be they Transformers or anything else. =) It's like with birds filching shiny baubles or weaving foil into their nests or something. It's instinctual, almost, haha. Never said it made sense, man, only that it's a strong compulsion.

15. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um - don't think anyone has been talking about MISB/MOSC "older" toys (e.g. G1). Relax.

I think most people are talking about "modern" (e.g. post 1995) stuff, and I say, why the heck not.

Agree on the G1 sealed stuff, but that's not what people are discussing.

16. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    I like opening honestly, I don't have the space for a bunch of unopened bubble boxes, besides, I transform them once, then display. Away from any danger

17. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I like buying MISB generally, but I have a large area in which to store the packaging. I always prefer to buy new, but if I can't what I'm after sealed, loose is perfectly good, as they are for display out of the package, anyway.

18. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I like opening toys more than I do "owning" toys, lol. Something about opening that is obviously worth more to some than others.

I get that I pay for that. And I get that not everyone feels the same way - it's what makes this world tick.

Edit: Yeah, I wasn't talking about older stuff, but then I'm only into (can afford) the newer stuff like Classics and Movie.

19. unchained5150

What's the difference if it's old or new? For people that display out-of-package or for those that like to actually, you know play with the toys; what's it matter if they buy something old that's in a box just to open it?

20. jasonmako

jasonmako Voyager

News Credits:
    ^^^ To me new is new. I was the first person to transform it. Old is a gamble unless theres bookoo pictures to show the condition. Sometimes their ultra dirty. I found a cocoon in a G1 Hound ounce... Kinda pissed. Most of us do not "play" with them. They get opened, transformed and spend their life on a shelf for display until sold or traded. I don't care about the box and usually throw it away. If the box is ancient and in good condition it gets stored.