MISB/MOSC Collecting Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TwilightNero, Nov 21, 2011.

1. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    A simple question been thinking about for a while actually, but I thought of a little more recently with some recent purchases and looking online for figures: What is the allure of MISB/MOSC collecting?

I like to fiddle with my figures and see just how everything works. As such I ask my question in hopes of seeing other part of the collector communities perspective.

As always, thanks everybody who replies.

2. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    For me, it's the thrill of knowing it's Mint. I always try to buy two, one to display, and one to keep.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    There's a certain appeal to having your sealed TF collection display look like a toy shop. Maybe it also brings back the childhood wonder of seeing shelves full of TF product.

4. escutler

escutler Decepticon Air Commander

News Credits:
    I agree with both of the posters above. I am a completist so I try to get at least one of each figure to keep MISB for the collection, and possible future investment value too, I guess. When it comes to reselling figures in the future, obviously the MISB ones will fetch a higher premium to other collectors. However, I do buy one extra of every figure that I want to fiddle with, to open and enjoy. Anyone who truly loves Transformers has to get ones to open, because that is what these particular toys are all about, right? More so than Star Wars or GI Joe figures, IMO.

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd like to keep a MISB collection, but the only reason I buy toys is to play with them. May get duplicates for the Prime line though.

6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Though I don't buy stuff to keep it sealed, for those toys with really nice display-oriented packaging, I can see the allure of a sealed collection or at least buying an extra to keep it sealed. Some packaging provides an awesome presentation of a nice toy.

7. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was attempting to do a G1 MISB collection, and honestly, I'm pretty damn close to just calling it quits on that and sell the ones I do have. I think if I had started that earlier in the 2000's, I'd have had a chance, but now its ridiculous. When you're talking 3-500 per figure, (and more for certain figures), with the sheer quantity of G1 toys that were released, its just overwhelming. And the KOs aren't making it any easier either. Luckily, there's been signs to tell them apart, but we all know that one day SOMEONE will make one that can't be told apart.

As for the allure, for me personally, I think there was an artform to the release of toys back in the day. It wasn't a case of "how can we cram as many possible figures onto one shelf". Even the boxes to me were given great thought and effort to the design. From the artwork, to the display style. One only need look at the old pictures where you had wall to wall stock of giant Gi Joe and Transformer boxes. They're something to behold, which for me is lacking even with the newer generation of TFs.

And quite frankly, I'm not sure if an MISB collection for modern figures is really truly worth it anymore. Back in the 80's (And earlier of course), people bought the toys to be played with and never gave a thought to cutting that piece of tape. Hence why sealed G! stuff is relatively rare. Ever since the 90's though, people have had the "collector's item" mentality, and have been keeping anything and everything MISB because "its going to be worth something someday". How many of us see the glut of MISB X-men/Marvel and Spawn stuff from the 90's and early 2000s just lying in flea markets or people's collection because they can't get rid of it?

With maybe the exception of some short packed figures, i don't think any Transformers from the 2000 and on era will ever become as valuable on their own as G1 stuff will. Not because it isn't any good, or that its not popular, just simply because TONS of people are now doing MISB, and so there are now TONS of figures that are being kept MISB. Supply and demand then takes over.

8. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    The only thing that will be in value are low limited exclusivs, but even that aint worth jack shit because everything gets ko:ed in this world.

I have most G1 repaints from ehobby and such and by darn it I will open them up soon, because they just look freakign amazing and its my life and my enjoyment. I will however keep the boxes if I in the future would want to sell them oiff.

9. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

As long as there are people who seek out MISB toys to rip open and get bored with five minutes later, we won't exactly be tripping over them. Now, whether they'll fetch a high price or not, given that kind of attitude, is open to debate...

10. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Perfect description. I try to have a loose duplicate as well of the figures I really like.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    While I don't do a whole lot of MiSB collecting, the allure of this aspect of collecting is that certain figures and lines look absolutely spectacular mint in their packages. While those who enjoy opening figures for the figure inside, some will say that "well, it's meant to be played with!". There is another side to the topic of "intention". There is also an intent by Hasbro (or any other company) to have their products and their shelves looks a certain way to appeal to buyers. There is certainly a great art form to package design as well as figure/toy design, and a sealed box (or even a "mint in box" [MiB]) is very appealing to someone who greatly appreciates this.

12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I'm mostly an MISB collector, I enjoy just looking at my collection. There's comfort in knowing that no other hands have touched the figure except of course the ones from the factory. I'm not really thinking of the resale value. I buy multiples of my favorite figures whenever I can, so I can open some to play with. I'm also forced to open those "batteries included" ones.

I have also bought loose G1 stuff because I can't afford or haven't chanced upon ones reasonably price.

13. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Agreed. TF's are meant to be played with.

14. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

I don't know how MISB collectors do it. I could never do it 'cause you can't have fun playing with a box.

15. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Don't open this can o' worms ...:wink: 

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:

You don't have to play with art to enjoy it right? Ever heard of anyone playing with their paintings?

Just looking at their collection is already a joy to MISB collectors.

17. Wheelie

Wheelie Riding on Grimlock!

I am a MISB collector of sorts. There are several reasons to why I do it.

1) It's knowing that the item is brand new & untouched.
    2) Some look to good in package to open.
    3) To pass on to the future generations in my family.
    4) Investment for the future if it comes to it but I really hope it doesn't. (this is the lost on the list.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just thought I'd repeat that for ya, DS :wink: 

19. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

I a bunch of sealed bots and a bunch of loose ones. Some just look better in packaging and I don't want to mess with the hassle of opening them up (example is BBTS Piranacon and HD DVD red Starcream). Its all relative really.

20. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just do not have all the time to open everything. I am fine looking at a toy in the package like a painting or a statue. I like the bios and tech specs on the package too. Keeping toys in package prevents parts from being lost or damaged.