MISB Battery Corrosion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Predakign2000, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

I'm looking into buying some older figures. I really want to get RID Prime and Magnus. These figures brought be back into collecting almost a decade ago. I lost Prime in a move and Magnus didn't fare too well either. Has anyone ever had a problem with corrosion from the batteries in these or older MISB figures?

2. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't really say. I assume at some point there will be problems with all these post-RID toys as they come with the batteries pre-loaded. G1 stuff was always batteries not included.

3. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good question. I have always wondered about this myself.

4. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One way or another, the batteries will eventually leak. When this will happen is simply a question that involves too many factors to answer, since the battery type, battery quality, and environment of storage all play parts, as well as other factors.

Whether the contacts will corrode is another question. If there isn't one of those little pull-tab things keeping the batteries from completing a circuit, then the flow of power through the contacts will certainly lead to corrosion. Even if there is a pull strip, it could occur over time. Again, how long it will take involves many factors, so you can never be sure.

5. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think if it's misb there will be a tab to pull out, I'd say get then remove the batteries if you intend to stay safe.

The batteries in my played with BM Jetstorm are fine and he came with them in when I recieved him for christmas december 2000

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All the more reason to open your toys rather than keep 'em boxed.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    so if an electronic part no longer functions due to battery life, and you don't really care to have the SE gimmick back, best bet is just to remove the old battery?

8. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its funny. This comes up every so often, and the threads all pretty much go the same way (including the obligory "open your toys" post from doomboy). :)