Mirror's Edge: "There's a rooftop race nearby, agent!"

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Maverick Hunter Christian, May 7, 2008.

1. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    SCEE had a Gamer's Day event or some such yesterday and EA Dice was on hand to show off gameplay footage of Mirror's Edge. I won't use parkour since that term seems to get folks up in arms, but its a first-person action-adventure/free-running/platformer game set in a Dystopian future city where every last bit of information and communication is heavily monitored and scrutinized. The only means of truly free communication any more is to employ couriers or "runners" to physically carry information back and forth.

You play as Faith, a tiny little asian girl who wants to free her sister who's been captured by the government. She's taken up employment as one of these runners and is tasked with roof-top hopping all across town to get information to where it needs to go.

Yeah, we've all read countless books and've seen plenty of movies, shows, and anime with a similar setting, but I've been big on this game since I first heard about it after a preview article in Game Informer a few months ago and it is shaping up to be the hot shit. I think this'll go over well with anyone who enjoyed Crackdown, Portal, or Assassin's Creed.

Gameplay trailer from SCEE Gamer's Day:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33585.html (Game Trailers)

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18706 (Game Videos)

Mirror's Edge is a multiplatform release and is gonna be put out on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC ...sometime this year. Probably a holiday release.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

If I look down, can I see her tits?

If not, no sale.

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I think, in the history of games, only one has had that feature; Trespasser. The best part; that's where your health gauge was (a heart shaped tattoo).

It was a fun game. Too bad nobody's computer could run it at the time it was released.

4. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I've heard of this game before and it sounds like an orignal concept. I haven't seen any game play footage yet (and cant yet, I'm at work).

5. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    She's a tiny asian girl, there's nothing to see.

6. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really, really hope this isn't going to be one of those games that has a great concept, but it's ultimately let down by a lacklustre execution like Assassin's Creed.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like to ask this as well. My 60 bucks depend on it.

8. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    I hope the climbing etc isn't as easy as it was in assasins creed. Having said that though this looks like it has set routes so it should be more about skill and speed then just climbing up whatever the hell you've run your character into.

It gets major points just for being an FPS with no reliance on shooting.