Mint In Sealed Box (MISB)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by RedOktobre, Apr 13, 2007.

1. RedOktobre

RedOktobre RedOktobre

Hello everyone,

e3nine raised a very interesting point with his message posted under the "classics clearance" thread. He mentioned that the Walmart near his home sells many TFs in damaged boxes. Store employees were playing "catch" with some of the TFs using a shopping cart.

I'm very curious about the number of TF collectors out there who buy/collect MISB TFs. Does anyone know the percentage of collectors who are MISB collectors?

As for me, I have a tendency (when money allows) to buy 2 or more of my favourite TFs. I would open one to display and play. The other, I would protect, preserve, display, or store.

Also, I am aware of many so-called "TF collectors" on E-Bay who are extremely knowledgeable with TFs, but I strongly suspect that they are "flippers". They are in the business of buying & selling TFs to earn money or make a profit. I find these people annoying since I often fail to successfully bid for certain TFs due to their money making agenda.

Anyone out there who shares my views?

RedOktobre

2. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    I do that myself as well - actually started doing that with the Titanium & Classics line and will be doing that with the movie line.

As for folks flipping for a profit on ebay - I see it as their business. It's like stocks - most folks buy stocks so that they'll go up significantly in value and they can then short them and reap the profits. Some people view collectible items the same way.. I mean look at the guy who got $11,000 for his G1 Megatron on ebay...I say good on him for managing to pull that much $$ in on a little toy.. If I got that much money offered for a toy, I'd probably sell too...

To each their own in this case, IMO

3. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    This is a good way to see just what people out there will pay for this or that figure. For a while, I was considering getting a G1 Devastator, but all the auctions ended at or around $150 before shipping. Given that info, I know I'll probably not buy one until I have a real job (which probably wont happen for another 4 years).

I love all the TFs I bought, and I hope never to have to part with them that way.

4. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I collect MISB, used to buy two of everything but now only select lines. unless I hit the lotto there will be no way to complete the collection. So I only buy my favorites now. I also sold a shitload of my G1 MISB collection. which I kinda regret, I made a lot of money but not much compared to what i could now or the cost to replace them. I sold a case fresh Victory saber box set for $700, a case fresh G1 starscream for $600. NO WAY I could replace them from that money now, probably double or quadruple if they are in the bullshit AFA cases.

5. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Well if its a good toy and I have the money I'll usually buy two for that reason, although if I was rich I'd probably buy 3 of everything, one to open, one to keep MISB and the other as a fallback in case something happened to one of my others, harder to do that with the older and much more expensive stuff like G1 though.

6. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Well-Known Member

I buy vintage MIB (if I can find a MISB version for a cheap price, of course I don't let that one pass) and more recent series MISB.

There are sellers who just sell Transformers in sealed condition obviously to get as much profit as the fanatic die-hard fan is willing to pay for it. Especially sellers who regularly offers sealed Transformers with a very steep 'Buy it now' option. For example, a combiner leader MISB for $350. Sometimes it's difficult to find out if a seller is just an 'experienced' TF collector or just a seller who knows Transformers are still highly profitable. If you put a Transformer in sealed box which is in perfect condition up for auction than it's just the naturally flow. If it turns out to be an astonishing amount of $$ than I say the seller is very lucky. That's no issue at all.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    cant afford to collect loose AND mib's.

no prob with flippers.

8. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Well, I don't buy Transformers for their package, I buy the toy in its interior. However, if I can get a discount for a damaged package......

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I collect MIB when its vintage stuff, and new stuff -e-hobby etc etc I keep misb.

10. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    :)  MISB'er here. I'm like this for a few reasons ...

1) I see the toy as a whole (box, figure, plastic, whatever) as a piece of art. I like to display them in a fashion where my collection adds to the room.

2) I'm borderline OCD, so it's easier for me to make everything uniform and even.

3) Along with the OCD, I'm a neat freak. I can't stand dust and sweeping boxes is much easier than individual figures.

I'm actually so careful with the boxes that I don't even let the register people touch them. I hold it, make them scan, and tell them I don't need a bag.

(I think I took this around September)
    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/e3NiNe02/Personal/shelfv10.jpg

As far as "flipping" goes. When I purchase a figure and it happens to increase in value, more power to me. I invested enough to make some money back from time to time. Any profits just right back into the thing that consumes my expendable income, my girlfriend ... err ... and transformers.

11. Eitheta

Eitheta Well-Known Member

I have some MISB toys, but I don't have a single Transformer MISB. I just can't leave a Transformer in the box. I'm content never opening Star Wars figures, but you just have to open up a Transformer and fiddle with it.

A lot of them don't even have windows to view the toy in. It kinda boggles my mind how some people want to buy MP Megatron and keep the box sealed. You're spending $100 for a box, not the real kickass toy inside, I don't get it.

I rather think of it as a hobby vs. an investment. I enjoy the figures, and I don't really want to sell them. And if there's ever a time I am going to sell them, I'll be selling the newer figures, which aren't worth a whole lot anyway. My G1 guys are staying put.

Granted, I would never open up a sealed vinage figure, but at the prices they go for I probably won't be getting any.

12. Squishy

Squishy the squishy one

If I'm dropping large amounts of money for a toy I'm gonna play with it. Over 100 spent on my 20th anniversary prime and that bad boy came out like the box was on fire. Theres a small store around the corner from me with G1 Soundwave and Devastator MISB and I think Megs too...but he wants around 200 for them, I know if I'm gonna buy them I'd rather buy the loose ones that are half the price on the shelf below cause I wanna plaaayyyyyy

13. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MISB makes no sense for me as a collector. I like TFs because they're cool toys and fun to play with. A Star Wars or Marvel Legend figure looks the same in or out of the package. But A TF obviously does more. Still, there's some packaging I keep because I like the way they display (My Alts, 6" Titaniums, and SWTFs are MIB). I have no problem with 'flippers' on eBay. From time to time, I find a ML variant that I'm more than happy to sell at a small profit. TFs, though, I typically will sell at the same price it cost me, because...I dunno. I don't $#!+ where I eat, I guess.

-Tony!

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I love MISB and MIB (See my sig).

Doubles of modern stuff? Just Classics, Alts and a few select others, but that's very, very rare.

We're talking Primus, Cyb. Downshift, RiD Scourge, etc.

Collecting this way is not an investment to me, it's just the way I am. Collector first, toy fiddler very rarely.

15. Eitheta

Eitheta Well-Known Member

If you're not making an investment, and if you're not gonna open it, I dunno why you'd bother buying it in the first place. A 3 dimensional tangible representation of a transforming robot is just way cooler than a box with photos of said robot. If you want to see pictures of a transformer, all you need to do is look online...

Oh well, to each their own. I just think leaving a transformer in a box is a terrible waste of a toy.

16. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, but buying MISB IS and investment. If some people didn't collect/save the toys in this manner, think how hard it would be to find any G1 TF's in good shape. This happened with vintage Star Wars as most kids played with the toys so now it's really hard to find any of the old toys MISP.

I buy/sell/trade Toys including TF's it's how I pay my bills. In fact I wouldn't have the collection I have today unless I did.

And yes I collect MISB as well as loose.

17. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I prefer buying a MISB item over a loose because as we all know, nothing feels better than opening a brand new toy and the smelling the inside packaging and just being the first to touch it, somewhat like undressing a brand new girlfriend...I guess in a way, if it ain't tainted, your experience will be better...so to speak. I am sure people who do keep it misb to sell it later is doing future collectors a favor of experiencing a brand new packaged item and experience that undressing...i mean opening, of that toy. It just so happens that everyone wants that experience and is willing to fork up that kinda cash to feel it.

Lemme ask you this, how much would u guys pay to open a few G1 MISB toys in this age? A lot probably...or not...i'm just saying

18. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I'm not much of an MISBer. I have a few things (Big Convoy vs. Magmatron, Mach Kick) but I don't like it too often. Those two, i also have loose versions of. I could do that for a couple of my favourites, but not for everything. I tried with JBW, but it got too expensive and hard to track down some of them for an MISB double so i just gave up and sold off the double... and just recently the loose version, too.

I'm also the type that generally doesn't care the condition of the box if I'm keeping a double MISB. As long as it's sealed... it's still the toy inside that matters most to me. My Mach Kick, for instance, is in a box that's only about C7 or so... but I know that if anything were to ever happen to my loose MK, I have a spare in mint condition to open and play with.

No real problem with "flippers" I guess... only hate it when they buy up everything in an area and nobody else can get it.

19. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Ehh...all I have ever boughten I have opened, they're made to be fiddled with, now if they're older ones they might sit in the box, but well... I believe they're made to be enjoyed, not locked down in solitary twisty-tie confinement.

Now i still have some newer ones MISB, but thats just cause don't have the room to open and display right now.

20. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not a big MISB'er either. If I keep a toy MISB it must have a REALLY nice looking box, and I need to be able to see the toy. As an investment, it worked on vintage Star Wars and Transformers precisely because not many peope kept their toys sealed. Today, there's so many that keep them sealed, unless it's a rare item like Alt Swerve, you won't get much return on your investment in the future, because they'll be easy to find anywhere.