Mint In Box - A Cheap Packaging Guide

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Having noticed a worrying increase in badly packaged items recently, and having sent a number of pre-shipping emails to sellers about how I would like my treasures safely secured for their journey, I decided that while I was wrapping up some premium Transformers I had sold, I would document every step in the procedure. I’ve done this for the benefit of anyone looking for some tips on what a collector like myself would want from a seller who’s just convinced me to part with a significant amount of cash. I’m not claiming that this is a definitive guide, or that my way is the best way, just that this is how I protect toys for shipping. Over 350 positive buyer reviews on eBay spanning 10 years suggests that I must be doing something right…

Mint In Box – A Cheap Packaging Guide | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

Yep, 1600 words on how to wrap a toy :) 

All the best
    Maz

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This was FASCINATING. Awesome read.

3. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good stuff! :thumb 

4. escutler

escutler Decepticon Air Commander

News Credits:
    Very nice article, Maz! I consider myself a pretty good packer of boxes, but that cardboard+bubble-wrap trick for flaps was an inspired idea. I will definitely try that sometime. Keep up the great articles!

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Heh, you have no idea how funny your choice of examples is. About 15 years ago, I had a source of sealed G1 Classics who did the unthinkable. He put an Optimus Prime, so very much like yours, in brown paper and mailed it across the ocean like that. Needless to say, the box was practically demolished by the time it arrived here. I was flabbergasted that someone could even consider doing something so astoundingly stupid and must've scared the hell out of him with my follow-up e-mail because a couple of weeks he sent another in a box like he should've the first time.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very exciting pictures, nice article maz

7. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Many thanks, guys! I figured if anything, it may create some discussion and people may come out of the woodwork with their own methods of safe wrapping that we can all take on board! I learned the rolled newspaper trick from Digital Toys and the flap support from Final Frontier toys.

I've never received better packaging than I have from Curt though, and I'm not just saying that.

Haha wow, this Classic Prime is clearly cursed! What made it even more poignant for me was that I bought this Prime from the ex-head of research & development at Hasbro Europe directly. I guess it was just a job to him at the time, but I hoped he would take more care when obviously selling to collectors nearly 20 years on.

Do you happen to have a picture of the obliterated Prime?

:lol 

All the best
    Maz

8. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    :thumb 

Nothing more joyous when you receive that package and the item has been packed to perfection for a safe delivery.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Never underestimate the power of good jigging. :) 

Also, another thing I've found quite handy for loose figures is to tape some packing peanuts around the bubblewrap. This isn't so much for protection as it is for an easy way to avoid movement without really losing the crush zone, and for loose things that claim an odd shape, its especially neat.

10. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Thanks for the very informative and useful article Maz.
    Several sellers have sent me poorly packed items e.g. a TF bust/statue in a Jiffy bag, Minibots in nothing but styrofoam peanuts inside a large box, etc. One time I asked a seller if he would wrap a Minibot lot individually and he told me he never wraps the "small stuff" individually, I did not bother to bid on them.

11. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Damn it Maz. Now I want some bubble wrap to pop.

12. Soging

Soging Well-Known Member

Now I'm worried about the MP Thundercracker I sent to Sweden, I hope my packing was good enough.

13. BreakdownRobot

BreakdownRobot Breakdown Robot!

Ebay:
    Brilliant ideas, Maz. Thanks so much for sharing! I always bubble wrap everything I send, and I usually have a pile of air pillows that I snatch from my coworkers' Amazon shipments... but now I'll just jack a pile of those free newspapers that are all over San Francisco. Always struggled with making sure the bottom was protected, but no longer!

To add another fun tip to this thread, as a comic fan I have a massive pile of brand new bags and boards for when I buy the rare single issue (prefer trade collections), and I've found that they're awesome for GI Joe/Star Wars sized carded figures.

Using an x-acto knife, I cut out a window the size of the blister in the front of the bag, making sure to leave enough room for the plastic to protect the card edges near the blister.

Then, I slide the figure into the bag with the blister sticking out, and after that insert the acid-free backing board behind the card. Seal it with a piece of tape, then cover the whole shebang in bubble wrap very similarly to Max's method on Optimus. Keeps the card stiff with an extra layer of plastic protection besides the bubble wrap!

14. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Nice guide. I've always preferred to ship "high end" collectibles by wrapping the figure in bubble wrap, cutting a cardboard box to fit and tape, put a layer of styrofoam peanuts on the bottom of a moderately larger box, put the first box in, then fill the gaps and top with the styrofoam peanuts. I've never had a damaged figure yet... Though I suppose it may be a bit overkill.

15. BreakdownRobot

Ebay:
    No such thing as overkill when protecting a shipment, imo. I also take pictures during every step of the process just in case I ever run into a scammer eBay buyer.

16. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Bubble wrap & foam packing peanuts are not cheap. If ebay buyers want & demand this. then ebay buyers need to fork over a extra $3 bucks for bubble wrap & another $2 bucks for foam packing peanuts. Most sellers are willing to do this as long as the buyer is willing to pay extra for all of this.

With the economy being so bad. Some on-line retailer sites don't even add bubble wrap,foam packing peanuts anymore. Some use brown paper or nothing at all.

17. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

I whole heartily disagree with this.... $3 for bubble wrap???? Do you work for TFCC???? Please PM me your ebay user name so I can make sure to never buy off of you. When I buy items, especially off of other collectors, I expect the seller to pack the items better than how he or she would like to receive them in. I expect said item to arrive in the EXACT same condition that I bought it in. I rarely sell anything and I keep all the packing materials that were used for items I bought.

18. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just revived a universe 2.0 starscream litterally thrown into a "if it fits, it ships " box, no padding nothing. When I got it, I didn't know it was supposed to be there that early so I didn't realize what it was and shook it. Glad I didn't break it as hard as I shook. I was disapointed. I can't believe a collector would ship it like that.

19. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I've never sold anything on ebay or elsewhere.

I do go to the USA Post office to mail out my bills. While i'm their I look around at stuff. Yesterday I noticed the post office was selling a bubble wrap roll for $3.29.

other recent times when I need a huge brown 20 by 20 by 20 squared box to store my newly bought TF toys in for my collection. I've gone to Walmart,office max,stapples & home depot look for the 20 squared big brown box. while I'm their I look around in the shipping out section. Bubble wrap & foam packing peanuts are not cheap. the small ones sell for around $3. while the bigger ones can easily sell for higher than $12.

Like I said the bigger on-line retailers can't even afford to using bubble wrap & foam peanuts anymore. My tru.com MP thunder came in just the box with no nothing. My HTS.com SDCC Bruticus came with brown paper as padding. my Walmart.com weaponizers optimus used brown paper as the cushion in the box. So to expect & demand lower income fans to provide bubble wrap & packing peanuts free of charge when the multi billionaire companies can't afford to anymore in unfair.

20. BreakdownRobot

Ebay:
    Freecycle and Craigslist are both excellent sources for getting a boatload of quality packing material, like peanuts or bubble wrap, for free. Usually office buildings and the like just can't wait to get rid of the stuff, including boxes. Coworkers are a good source too; at my office we get at least 2-4 boxes from personal deliveries every other day and I just take my pick.

Primus knows I ain't made of money, but I do use eBay to help fund my collection without impacting my budget too much. I go into every transaction treating the buyer the way I would like to be treated. It's not too much to ask of me to go that extra mile to make sure they get what they paid for in the exact condition it was described.