Minor/Repaint: Minor DotM Shockwave Mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Yaujta, May 30, 2011.

1. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just modded my Shockwave's shoulders a bit, and the difference is great. Basically, I didn't like the troll-like shoulders being higher than the head, so I decided to see if I could change it.
    First, take apart (2 screws) the tread pod that the arms are attached to. Be careful with the tiny wheels as they like to fly off and go directly under couches and such.
    Take the black arm piece off of the tread assembly.
    What you'll have then is the torso with half the tread/shoulder, and a tread/shoulder piece separate.
    With a Dremel (or file or whatnot), carefully sand out the channel below the armpit and above the wheel position about 1/8 of an inch downward on both tread parts. I used the first tread-link as a guide for myself, and went from there. What you're essentially doing is lengthening the overall channel so that the shoulder/arm can be slid further down in bot mode.
    This mod does not affect the transformation or alt mode in any way, and is pretty much transparent overall.
    Total time for me was about 10-minutes, five of which being spent finding one of the damn wheels under a chair.

Okay, the red highlighted part is where the sanding/shaving needs done. Mind you, these pictures are after the fact and the plastic is a tad rough (this is the start of a custom, so finishing will come later).

[​IMG]

From the side, after the mod. You can see a good bit was cut away, but not too much. One thing to remember is that the arm post is curved slightly, so more will need to come off from one side than the other for it to be effective.

[​IMG]

Finally, the end result. It may not make a huge difference, but in hand it looks a lot better. I have two, and this one definately looks better.

[​IMG]

UPDATE: With a boxed Shockwave. You can see the difference in the shoulders (kind of).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    could you do a comparison shot as you have two?

3. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Nice!

My SW's shoulders are about halfway up the tank treads.
    Your mod makes them the same level.

Looks good. Simple and dosnt effect his horrible shredded wheat lop sided alt mode...

This figure is OK. My expectations were higher than they should be for this guy.

This mod looks to improve only him...

4. citoria

citoria Lord Dragon Master

This is exactly the mod I was looking for. I hate the high shoulders that do not match an art or renders we've seen. Kinda like the Fallen having no neck.

Can you post a full body shot of him?

5. Yaujta

News Credits:
    I'll take a few more pics this evening. The second SW I have is boxed, so I'll try to do a comparison shot, too.

After this, I'll be working on new wrists and a few other mods. Shockwave's my absolute all-time favorite character, so I want to do as much as I can to this really great figure.

6. Yaujta

News Credits:
    Updated first post, showing a full body shot with an unmodiffied Shockwave.

7. sigmaprime

sigmaprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just did this and it looks so much better!