Minnesota Transformers Sightings

Discussion in 'Transformers Sightings' started by Foster, Oct 23, 2003.

1. MotorMastersRev

MotorMastersRev Well-Known Member

Found 3 more Broadsides at Savage Target while doing some shopping for Easter last night.

2. StBrianofMinneapolis

StBrianofMinneapolis Well-Known Member

I stashed a sixshot at Bloomington Target. It's in the same aisle, opposite side, opposite end behind a big kids playset. I believe this is the set...
    Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

3. Riddler87

Riddler87 Well-Known Member

I saw Skywarp at the Midway Target a few days ago.

4. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

Montevideo WalMart had RiD Skywarp... I mean, if you wanna drive to the other side of the state n' everything.
    Speaking of, I did that, and then my wife's tire went flat while we were at my parents'. Drove from basically South Dakota to Bloomington on a donut tonight, going only 50. It was the suck.

5. MotorMastersRev

MotorMastersRev Well-Known Member

Lakeville Walmart by the theatre had RID Soundwave, Skywarp, and Blurr. Soundwave came home with me.

6. captaingambit

captaingambit Urban Explorer/Toy Addict

I saw that same wave of RID Warrior figures at Rochester Walmart last night. I already purchased Blurr at an Iowa Target on Saturday, so I passed on them. They're presumably still available at the Rochester Walmart.
    I MUST DECLARE that Warrior Blurr is an extremely good deluxe class Transformer. The car mode is really really nice, especially with the clear plastic canopy. The transformation is simple enough to do quickly, but with enough little transformation steps and tricks to keep it satisfying. Robot mode has excellent proportions, excellent sculpt, and excellent articulation. The light-pipe eyes are a nice touch. The traditional style blaster he comes with is a good accessory. Stability in both modes is great, as everything tabs together well. I highly recommend the toy to anybody who likes car transformers, even if you don't collect RiD. Blurr is fantastic.

7. Jertallica

Jertallica Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One six shot at Bloomington Target

8. Jertallica

Jertallica Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One RID Blurry, 5 TR Broadside at Richfield Target.

9. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I don't wanna rant too much but is anybody else kinda.........Idk, meh about the Hasbro leaders these days? So the Mrs picked me up Leader Six Shot over the weekend. This thing was like 45 bucks plus change. Although it's got the dumb head master gimmick, it doesn't hamper the figure that much. But wow, for 45 bucks does it feel really cheap. Does it look G1 sure, which is basically the point but the guns are puny and look ridiculous, it doesn't have a wrist swivel either. I'm having a hard to remembering the last few Hasbro leader toys I bought besides Generations Jetfire, before that ROTF leader Prime instantly comes to mind which is part of the problem. I always compare stuff to that which was 5 bucks cheaper, had flip out blades, lights, sounds and was a transforming marvel. While I don't necessarily need or want some of those gimmicks on a leader G1 Six Shot, I feel like that thing shouldn't be priced higher than a voyager figure. I get inflation and these aren't the days of ROTF and all that but damn................

Not sure if I'm jaded these days because of 3rd party and MP stuff but the moment I opened it I was like, your telling me this cost 45 bucks???? Which is not the reaction I want when I get a new toy.

10. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Undersea Warrior

News Credits:
    Inflation sucks. I mean, there's nothing more that can really be said about that.

Also, we gotta stop holding the RotF figures up as the standard. I went back and looked at some of my holder movie and Generations figures and I remember how frustrated I was trying to transform RtS Wreck-Gar (sold), RotF Skidz/Mudflap (gone), etc.

Panels for the sake of panels got old pretty quickly. That's not fun. It's fiddly.

11. captaingambit

captaingambit Urban Explorer/Toy Addict

Yes, I feel pretty much the same way. Inflation sucks. Shrinking manufacturing budgets suck too.

The ROTF toys, while engineering marvels, were not fun toys. And even if they had been more fun, the parts count/plastic budget/manufacturing costs of those toys existed in a completely different economic reality than that of the present. Modern leader toys, in a sense, did not evolve straight from the RotF leader toys.

Modern leader toys exist within the budgetary spectrum created for the Transformers: Prime Weaponizers assortment. When those toys came out a few years ago, they were noted for being gimmick-hampered, hollow, cheap-looking toys at a leader scale price/size. It is the Weaponizer manufacturing budget that modern leader class toys are engineered. If you want to judge how good or poor a modern Leader toy is in terms of bang-for-your-buck, you should hold them up to Weaponizer Optimus Prime or Generations Jetfire toys.

12. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I don't think there'd be all that much complaining if the price just went up $5. The problem is the prices have gone up while the quality has gone WAY down. That's not really an inflation thing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Blame the finance MBA's. They ruined everything.

• Like Like x 1
  14. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    First off, quality hasn't gone down. Part counts have gone down. That people want to conflate arbitrary panels with quality is on them...but in the meantime they're doing some pretty amazing things with the Generations/RiD Warriors class.

Second, inflation affects everyone...consumer and manufacturer. They need to strike a balance between keeping production costs down while trying not to pass the rising expenses on consumers, all while ensuring shareholders are still being kept happy.

When I look at the newest movie figures, I just feel bad for the design team. Because they're being handed bot modes with increasingly absurd robot modes and decreasingly obvious vehicle mode parts. Part of why G1 bots make for such great Generations figures is the transformations were simple because of the limitations of engineering at the time.

But you build a robot that's all CGI (to the extent they don't even bother animating the transformation on screen) and it's no wonder why they've got giant car shells hanging off Bee and Barricade in the TLK deluxe line.

15. einhazard

*happily transforms his robots*

16. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Part count went down = lower cost to make, yet prices go up? How is that simply inflation? One or the other...okay, but both? Nopes. But whatevs, glad someone out there appreciates the change. My (rhetorical) question, though, is if my interest in the hobby waned largely due to that change or if it just ran its course...it kind of lines up on the timeline, but it's possible it's just coincidence. Whatever the case, I guess I should just be happy because I'm not wasting anywhere near the money I was 5 years ago.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. einhazard

For real though, I don't disagree with parts of the complaint. I think the idea of making transformations more accessible is a good idea from just a 'we want to make money so we can keep making transformers' perspective. I do think that quality/parts count has gone down over the years, but like T-hyrbid said, sometimes I think we pine for sliding panels for no reason. Even TF: Prime (which was a pretty steep quality drop if I recall correctly) feels a little fiddly now, and that's all cool, but I'm still really having fun with TR for the most part (mmmm yeah, Triggerhappy), terrible decal choices notwithstanding. On the other end of the spectrum, I'm having a ton of fun with MP Megs too (now that I've gotten used to his nonsense transformation and can do it from memory... which honestly took only one robot-to-gun-to-robot loop). Speaking of overpriced, though.... dang.
    That said, I do think Sixshot was a bit blah, but that's more because they're clinging a little hard to G1 with TR, which.... *shrug*
    As far as a gimmicks go, I'm probably the one person who really likes them and thinks they're fun. I love Armada and PCC because of just the neat things that went into those figures, despite Armada being a lot of blocky, more accessible figures. At least now they're trying to split things up a little and hit all demographics with their own thing.
    I think, ultimately, we're never going to be HAPPY. That's a hallmark of the fandom, right? But look at how far it's come since 84 and how many good figures we've had along the way. I mean, right now on my desk at work, I have a bunch of Iron Factory, MP Cheetor and Primal, a bunch of TR, TFC Poseidon, Maketoys' Rioter Despotron and Striker Manus, Diabattles V2, MMC Impactor, RiD Warrior Soundwave, Evac from the Universal Studios ride, and even Mech Ideas' goofy little Fisitron or whatever he's called. That's the thing: these all vary pretty severly in price, but each scratches an itch for me, and as a collector, if I can't find what I want just from Hasbro, I can go elsewhere, but I still go back to Hasbro because they're (relatively) less expensive, fun TFs.

Yeah, it's not great that prices went up and quality went down, but when I look at the hot garbage that is Power Ranger zords and their prices that are as-much-if-not-higher than most TFs, I can't feel too ripped off.

*happily transforms his robots*

18. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    It's a balance.

You can't stop inflation. So you turn the spigots. Sometimes you reduce manufacturing costs and sometimes you increase price.

Look at AoE vs. TLK. Some of the same figures 2-3 years later, so same manufacturing. The only choice you have is to turn the price spigot.

But I'm with einhazard. This conversation is done to *death* on the forums. If you see some new stuff in Minnesota, on the other hand, here we are.

19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Dude, seriously?
    *Skims over last two pages of your posts, none of which are related to new stuff in MN*
    I'm not even sure how to respond...

20. einhazard

Like this:
    "Sounds good! Teamwork makes the dream work! I love robots that turn into other stuff! Let's all have a great time buying toys!"
    And then do this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3