Minor/Repaint: minibot project part 4: beachcomber

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ckhtiger, May 24, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

alright, nothing new here. I basically was looking at somebody else's (can't remember who now) the whole time for reference. I realize now why he left some of the parts purple. they fully rub during transformation. I had him in robot mode the whole time while painting him, which is why (I think) the bot mode looks sharp and the alt mode looks so rough. I decided that I would just sharpie the places that rub. I didn't realize it was so bad until transforming him to take the pics. I'm going to touch him up, I promise! as always, comments and criticisms are encouraged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Nice dude. Got the same thing planned myself.

3. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep after a little white touch up it'll look very nice.
    Sides I'm a sucker for G1 inspired repaint.
    Good job -ace

4. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Nice job! your doing a great job on your minibots.
    I don't know if it was mine, or not, that you were looking at (I used a blue sharpie and it changed to a purple metallic.) but I have found out since then, that those purple pieces will take die really well. It can't be grey but it could be dark blue or black, and then just paint the rest of it the color you want. (sometimes the dye wants to bleed out into the paint so you have to do a couple of coats. the sharpies bleed, really bad)

ready and waiting for your next MP

Edit: I don't think you have the chest screw tightened down far enough. You shouldn't have that gap in between the top and bottom halves of the front bumper

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, I've heard that a bunch of people are starting to dye hinges and stuff that rub, so that when they paint over them and they do rub it doesn't look so bad. I've also heard about the horror stories of dyeing gone wrong, so I just decided to steer away from that. even to the point of buying some dye and then I took it back. I'm actually waiting on seaspray to finish drying. he'll probably go up tomorrow!

by the way, I've now done the touch-ups on beachcomber's alt mode, and he looks quite a bit better now. I'll replace the older pics when I get the chance.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Nice, dude. Very cool. I think some black sharpie on Beachcomber's visor will also add a nice touch to his face.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

just a little update, I touched him up the best I could, and changed the pics

8. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Did you see this part that I added to my other post. After I did the edit, you had your response listed below mine. If you did, then it must not be the new pictures of that area.

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

you need to do powerglide. i love your work

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This looks really cool, man! Nice work!

Something I find that helps a tad with the paint from rubbing some when using brushes as opposed to sprays is the sanding of the parts. While this doesn't prevent all of the paint from gumming off of the rub, it does minimize it some.

Also, a flat primer coat underneath the top coat prevents it some as well.

Again, these just minimize paint rubbing; they don't prevent it. That being said, sprays rub some as well. Dying parts is about the only method that prevents it.

That aside, I'm eagerly awaiting more of your work! Keep 'em comin' dude! :thumb 

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I hadn't seen your edit. I found two screws yesterday after putting seaspray back together and was wondering where they were supposed to go. I was also wondering about that gap in the front bumper! thanks!