Minor/Repaint: minibot project part 3: warpath

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ckhtiger, May 14, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

BANG! POW! ZOWIE! after a bit of consulting with manyoufacture and superquad7, I put some detail in this guy around his shoulders and such. I'm pretty happy with it, although I wish he wasn't so shiny, but I needed to clear coat him because the crimson comes right off. he definitely looks better without the little two-barreled cannon, I think, but I photo'ed him with it anyway. I hope you all like him, and of course I'd appreciate any comments/critiques!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Very neat color scheme. Well done, dude!

In my opinion, I think you could add a little bit of watered-down black to the treads and give them some really neat detail. Other than that, it's a fantastic piece.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hmmm, that would look nice. the odd thing about this little "project" is that I'm trying to remain faithful to original color schemes, by not being very detailed, if that makes any sense.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

That looks great! The color scheme is spot-on, it leaves no doubt as to which character this is. I'm surprised how well the head works as Warpath! If this were an official release, I'd buy it in an instant.

The one thing that seems a little off to me is the color of the large missiles: their warm grey color doesn't quite match the cool grey on the rest of the figure. Have you considered painting them as well? Maybe you could just paint their forward half, so that you wouldn't have to worry about the paint getting rubbed off at the connection point.... since the front part is all you really see of them anyway.

Anyway, that's all.... overall I think it looks really nice!

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

you know, I was really worried whether or not the mold worked as warpath. glad you think it does. I might paint the missiles, I wasn't going to paint the little guns on his shoulders, but then once I did, it looked SO much better.

so how about it, what color for the missiles? the same gray, or perhaps black?

6. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Very cool and well done. I'll buy it.

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, the mold does work for Warpath, for sure. I think it's a combination of the jutting chest-shape, the treads on the legs, and the big squared-off piece on the back of the head; it gives the impression of a "lid head" like the original figure has.

I agree that painting the little guns was a good idea. It ties the figure together really well. I think that's why the missiles stood out to me, because the rest of the figure worked so nicely with that single grey tone.

As for the colors of the missiles, boy, I don't know. I guess the most "homage-y" thing to do would be to paint them red, like Warpath's turret. But then they would just sort of disappear into the rest of the figure. Black might be too heavy for them and draw too much attention to them. I would honestly just opt for the same grey that you used on the treads/guns. But others may feel differently! Perhaps a quick digibash of the above photos could answer the question?

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This looks GREAT! I really like it! I do think you could add a bit of weathering (just be conservative with it; you wouldn't want to overdo it!) and it would look really cool.

Regardless, you've done a really good job! :thumb 

. . . and this has got me to thinking that the Cyb Def Scattershot would also make for a good Warpath . . . just a thought :) 

9. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Excellent job. The shoulder, grey, and the window/blast shield, black, made a big difference in breaking up the crimson. Keep up the good work.

Who's up next for your "minibot project"? Can't wait to see it.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I wanted it to be brawn from cyb. overhaul, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the gold stripes off of his sides. the only thing that's worked is scraping them with a small screwdriver, but that's horribly scratched the plastic. I'm going to be working on beachcomber, I think.

11. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Quite plain (IMO). Some black panel lines would do a world of good.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cool!