Mini-review: oversized Kurojishi from Tobikage by Olympus

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Might Gaine, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Mini-review: oversized lion from Tobikage by Olympus

Tobikage is an old anime that aired in Japan around 1986 not long after when Transformers first aired. It took place in a post-apocalyptic world and involved people piloting ninja robots to thwart dangerous aliens. The toys were released by Bandai the same year and, although small, were high quality and had good die cast content. The show contained four robots: the tiger robot, the dragon robot, the bird robot, and the ninja robot. The gimmick is that each of the animal robots can form their robot modes on their own, but they have to combine with the ninja robot to form the more powerful animal form. In practice, it basicly amounts to the ninja robot curling into a ball and becoming the chest of the animal.

Here's Zinc Panic's galley of the original Kurojishi (the tiger robot):
    http://www.zincpanic.com/pop_img.phtml?nam...p;article=11265

I have one of the original Tobikage toys, but for a long time I've wanted to pick up the oversized versions that Olympus released in Korea. Finally I got a friend in Korea to import them for me. I've chosen to review Kurojishi since he's the best of the bunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (I forgot to bend the mohawk down all the way)

Korean Tobikage toys were released in 1997 (there may have been an earlier run, but I've only seen Olympus Tobikage toys from 1997) and came in two sizes: the same size as the original and a huge oversized version. They were made by the now-defunct Olympus. Whether or not they're licensed is up for debate. In the early 90's Korean toy companies by and large weren't conforming to copyright law. By the late 90's, most companies were conforming to copyright law. For example, Korean knockoff company Academy, which had been producing knockoff Gundam kits for years, bought the Gundam model kit license from Bandai. The boxes of the oversized Tobikage say they're licensed, but, really, who knows.

Anyway, my first impression was that this toy is huge. I have the original Kurojishi and this thing blows it away in terms of sheer presence. It preserves the tranformation and look of the toy very well. It even carries over the die cast from the Bandai toy. The one modification I found (besides the plethora of extra weapons and the inclusion of the ninja robot) was the face of the lion. They've added a mohawk piece and switched the mouth harness for two antennae/guns. I think the modifications look good on the toy. The toy looks great in both modes.

My only complaint is that the ninja robot included feels cheap. The original Japanese ninja robot was made out of diecast, I believe, and was not included with the animal robots. This one is plastic, and although it comes with a lot of weapons (more than the original, I think), the plastic feels cheap and the paint isn't very good. It's not a huge deal, though. He at least transforms fine and looks all right, if a bit antequated.

Overall, I give this toy a solid A. It's cheaper than you can get the original for ($30 or so in Korea versus $100+ in Japan), it comes with the ninja robot, it's got die cast, and it's freaking huge. If you can find it, get it.

Also, a side note: the other two oversized animal robots aren't as good. The bird is solid, but just looks very boring in robot mode and has no die cast. I'd give it a B+. The dragon is a floppy piece of crap. I'd give it a C-.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Looks pretty cool... Do you have a picture of the original as well for comparison? And the ninja itself?

3. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Some pictures of the transformation with the ninja robot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's a site that has some comparison pictures, but I can't find it right now.

4. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Cool, looks a bit like a brainmaster sans brain... So, are u gonna sell that stuff with your Kabaya KOs?

5. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Nah, it costs too much to import when you consider shipping. I wouldn't be able to make a profit. And I don't think there's much demand. Plus they're harder to come by than the Chinese Kabaya models I sell.

6. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    When you say the ninjabot feels cheap, what you exactly mean? Loose joints, soft plastic, bad paint apps?

7. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks pretty cool. If I could find one reasonably priced, I'd definately pick one up

8. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    The joints are fine. It just doesn't feel like a Bandai toy, perhaps in part because of the lack of die cast. The original looks like it was mostly diecast...
    http://zshock.hp.infoseek.co.jp/z-shock2_070.htm
    Also, the arms don't extend like the original's do. It's kind of hard to describe.

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks cool!

10. Mega Convoy

Mega Convoy Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks very Liger-esque. Which came first I wonder.