Mini-con Shake-ups

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Delta Star, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok, before I start, I would like to say that I am aware I should be working, and the stuff I'm about to say is really pointless and geeky.

At best, the reaction I get will be along the lines of "That's true. I never considered that before, however this is useless information". At worst, people will reply with "You seriously need a life. You have too much time on your hands to be considering this sort of thing". At any rate, I will press on...

Back when Mini-cons were still a relatively new sort of thing, in the middle of the Armada line, there was something I found peculiar - that they released the Destruction Team, comprised of two excavation-themed vehicles and a thrid seemingly unrelated vehicle. Buzzsaw, a bucket wheel excavator, and Drill-bit, a drill excavator, seemed to go together brilliantly. Dualor, however, an anti-aircraft tank, looked to me to better suite a sort of military team.

Up to this point, Mini-con teams kept to a theme. We had the air defense team, made up of three jets, for example. Lo and behold, the next team to be released was called the Adventure team, another seemingly mis-matched, themeless team, which happened to have the exact same gimmick as the Destruction team (a set of gears that would operate some special feature when the vehicle was rolled around).

The Adventure team had, in its ranks, what seemed to be the missing excavation vehicle from the destruction team - Iceberg, a "snow cat" with a giant earth-moving plough. Incidently, not my first choice for vehicles to take on an "adventure". If one were to regroup the excavation vehicles, the remaining team members would seem to make a nice military team, comprised of a dune buggy with a gun turret, an anti-aircraft tank, and a 4X4 truck, which are often used in the army.

Why would Hasbro do this, you ask? Well, perhaps they know military vehicles sell better than construction vehicles, so naturally a little team member swapping would help prevent some teams from warming the pegs.

So, why mention this now, you ask? Years after the fact? Well, because with the recent Mini-Con releases and the pictures we are now seeing of upcoming releases, I think it's happening again.

We've already seen the release of the Giant Planet Mini-con team. Let's see - there's a sub and a jet. So far looking good for a military themed team, right? Except the third member is a construction vehicle.

Hmmm... well surely if this theory were to hold any water, we'd have seen another team out there with a single military member and two construction vehicles, right? I call your attention now to the Demolition team we have just seen pictures of, comprised of a tank, a dumptruck and a front end loader. Coincidence? I think not.

So there you have it. Surely I have shown that Mini-con Shake-ups do occur. The only question left to answer is why I feel compelled to prove this, or to devote so much time to explaining this. I don't have the answer to that.

However, maybe this sort of thing has happened before, and it may help to shed light on certain peculiarities in G1. Ever wonder why Blast-Off was a space shuttle, even though he was in a supposedly military-themed group (the Combaticons)? Perhaps he was originally an Aerialbot, and one of the other Aerialbot jets belonged with the Combaticons. The small Pretenders of 1989 had three animals and three vehicles for inner robots, yet not grouped together. Perhaps Bludgeon was meant to be an Autobot, and Pincher a Decepticon in the early stages of the concept. I'll leave you all with one more pointless observation of a possible G1 shake-up, then I promise I'm done. The G1 Triggerbot called Dogfight had a motorized trigger mechanism, unlike the gearless spring loaded type shared by his breathren. Conversely, Windsweeper, the Triggercon, seemed to possess the Autobot style of trigger. Was Dogfight designed to be a Decepticon? He certainly had more guns and a Cyclonus-like wing style.

Ok. I'm done.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Lol nerd.

But in all seriousness, it's a good observation and perhaps would make a great question for the design team at Botcon.

Keep thinking outside the box, sir!

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    ^

I agree. Good point.

4. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

I've never thought of that..

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

You know, I am consistently amazed as to how people are able to bring up new and interesting points about Transformers that haven't been discussed before. That is a very interesting theory and I applaud you sir.

6. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

Ha! I totally made a mental note about that new classics Mini-Con pack. Two construction vehicles... and a tank? I could understand if all three were wildly different, but two of them go together so well, the third seems like such an outcast.

Not complaining, mind. I still love most of my Mini-Cons, and I'm really looking forward to the new ones.

7. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

And note: the recent Giant Planet Team Has a A military Sea Vehicle a military air vehicle and a construction vehicle... exactly the converse of the Destuction team

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Just like he said in the first post.

9. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Well, a Tank would be a lot more effective at destroying stuff than, perhaps, a Dump-Truck, or a fork-lift, or a crane, etc.
    Bucket-Excavator, yup, that can trash stuff pretty damn good.
    Drilling Machine, yup, trashes stuff well.
    Tank, hell-yeah, the masters of Destruction.

and with the Adventure team, Adventure could be dangerous, You'd want some firepower to protect yourself with, something to clear blocked routes with, and a 4X4 for off-roading.

It all fits somehow.

10. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

it's always bugged me that blast-off was a shuttle. Even in the show i believe he scans a plane, but turns into a shuttle.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The point of the Adventure team was that they were sort of "extreme conditions" vehicles. A dune buggy for driving around in the desert, an off-roader for tool around int he wilderness, and an arctic whatever those are called for driving around in the snow.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hmm. i'd buy this theory. plus, its extra incentive to get the different teams to complete the 'real' teams. hmm.

13. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So far, a couple people aren't buying it.

Interesting. Maybe I'm wrong. Then again, maybe I didn't explain myself well.

I'd like to point out that the names fitting with the teams is not an arguement against my theory. That's because in my theory (which is all this is - a theory), Hasbro would have deliberately mismatched team members and *THEN* come up with vague names that fit their new groups.

Lets face it... "Adventure Team" and "Destruction Team" are pretty darn vague. Not specific at all. You could argue that pretty much ANY Transformer could go on an adventure. And most of them are also good for destruction. Anybody could be in the "Giant Planet Team", and many would do well in a "Demolition Team".

Let's try this excercise: I'll choose three random transformers (honestly, first that come to mind):

Tantrum (a bull)
    Shockwave (a flying space gun)
    Powerglide (an A 10 bomber)

See how these guys could be accurately described as an Adventure Team? Also an effective Destruction team. But still, not a very logical "Air Defense Team" or "Street Speed Team", because those are specific team names.

So yes, I agree that the team names fit the vehicle forms, but I don't think that negates my theory at all.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Wow, thats a really cool thought. I really don't think it was an intentionaldecision at Hasbro to do it, but thats a damn good observation that makes total sense. Nice work.

15. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well that and it makes you wonder if they do it intentionally so you buy more mini-cons. If you love military vehicles, and they are split up over multiple packs you'll have to buy them. It deversifies the teams and stops on pack from being a complete failure having absolutely no mini-cons that appeal to people

16. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    Well - but that's exactly what he said in the original post. This is quite possibly a deliberate attempt to simply spread out the popular alt modes.

The only thing that makes this not totally obvious is that the unified packs tend to have unified color schemes, etc... So I guess they mixed up the color schemes for the packs who got member-shifted to avoid making it obvious... But why not make it obvious? It would certainly create more incentive to buy both packs if we knew that a member of one pack was blatantly belonging with the members of the other pack...

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Of the initial three "Classic" minicons sets, only the Dinobots set has a really unified theme. Of the other two, one is a tank with two construction vehicles, and the other is a military helicopter with the police car and fire truck. (though the chopper is a brightly colored one)

18. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Just saw this thread mentioned in News and thought I'd come late to the party and add two cents.

I always assumed that the odd mixes were the result of being designed for Cybertron 2-packs and being packed in threes for Classics, but I haven't figured out how all of the original pairings might have gone.

These seem pretty easy:
    Apache helicoptor / M1 tank
    Backhoe / Dump Truck
    Fire Truck / Police Car
    A-10 / F-14

But then it starts to fall apart:
    Triceratops / Pterodatcyl [Maybe?]
    T Rex / Dragon [BW Megs pack?]

And then we have the Dirt Digger and Predator Attack teams that seem to easily be threes. Seems likely that Hasbro has changed from pairs to trios; maybe multiple times as Delta Star points out in his original post.

19. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    As for the first couple of sections, I think it's a very plausible idea. And to help add some potential proof to the theory, I offer this:

The mismatch with the Triggerbots/cons was actually a case where Hasbro deliberately changed members of the group. The three with the motorized triggers (Dogfight, Crankcase and Ruckus) were all supposed to be Decepticons while the three with spring-loaded triggers (Backstreet, Override and Windsweeper) were all supposed to be Autobots. Or at least, that how they were originally grouped in the initial design stages (based on the mechanism of their respective gimmicks). For some reason, when the toys got to the bio/stats stage, the two got swapped by Hasbro. I read about this in an introduction to one of Antartic Press' Transformers ReCognition Guides (I think it was volume 3 or 4).

So there's some food for thought.

20. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Hell, I decided a long time ago that I was going to swap that classics tank fellow for the Giant Planet team crane guy.

As for the odd match-ups with the others, who knows. Maybe the two-pack idea is right and the dragon was meant to go with the hawk. I don't think that explains the helicopter or the motorcycle though.