Milne returns to MTMTE/LL

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Grimlock528, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

MTMTE/Lost Light fans rejoice!!! Via his Twitter account, James Robots (MTMTE writer) released cover art for upcoming Lost Light issue 13 by none other than fan favorite Alex Milne revealing that Milne would be providing the interior art as well! When asked if Milne would be coming back for full run or just a stand alone issue, Roberts replied "Just for this standalone issue, but he'll be back for a longer run."

• Like Like x 2
  2. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Really torn about this news. I honestly want to buy the issue just as a show of support for Alex. Pushing a games that is how much I've grown to dislike James's writing. :/

• Like Like x 2
  3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Oh, good. This time even if the writing will suck I'll just keep watching pretty pictures.

Works for Bayverse, so...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

I just want to see the mutiners trilogy. It only took 10 issues but we finally get to see how getaway and the crew are doing

5. RNSrobot

It's been almost two years since mtmte 50.

6. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

Wow. According to the description they made alot of progress, and threw out half of the crew, but it seems really good. Thats the one thing i dont like about roberts, he waits to long to reveal things and finish storys. But mtmte was great either way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

If I had to guess based on both where the story seems to be heading and the news about IDW's financial fortunes, it sounds like Milne is going to return for the arc or arcs that conclude the series.

8. RNSrobot

Would be a nice and fitting ending. Hard to read to much into that, though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. motorthing

motorthing Polarised.

News Credits:
    Finally some good news.

• Like Like x 2
  10. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Soleron

Ebay:
    well at least the art will go back to being fantastic even if the writing isn't

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

James are you CLEARED to say this, because last time...

I don't get the hate for James' current writing. So he started off strong & has lost some quality--it's still a fun book, isn't it? Everything IDW has produced since 2012 is still miles ahead of the McCarthy & Costa eras.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RNSrobot

Hundreds of pages have been written about it, so, not sure what else people can say?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bumblemus Prime

I've read the hundreds of pages. Didn't disagree with all of it, but found that a lot of people had a breaking point for dropping the book that wasn't close to mine.

My rabid fandom has fallen off a bit, tis true. I used to get MTMTE even if I was broke; I'd beg, borrow or steal four bucks, go into the comic store and pluck the single solitary issue out of the hold pile. I bought the latest Lost Light a good week and a half after it hit shelves.

There's a certain degree of sameness and diminishing returns that will set in with any series that makes it over 20, 30 issues. I went through it with Invincible. With Saga. With Ultimate Spider-Man and Kurt Busiek's Avengers. Some of it is because the author has genuinely shot a wad of great initial ideas, but some is because readers become used to the type of storytelling and familiarity breeds contempt.

14. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I wouldn't say I hate anything James has written, but like other people, I don't find it particularly interesting, currently. I wouldn't say the book is fun for me as it hasn't engaged my interest in a while. Just like people's variability with breaking points, I'd say we differ in regards to engagement. My problem with the book is not that it has remained the same and as such has stagnated, it's that it has taken one or two aspects of it that were positives and exaggerated them disproportionately at the detriment of other positive elements that I appreciated.

I won't go into details, as you're no doubt aware of the popular issues people have with the writing, but the series clearly has changed states trying to find a successful identity and lost a complimentary balance it once had between character and story. Too much of a good thing can be detrimental and potentially meaningless if allowed to dominate.

That said, going back to the Lost Light signifies getting back on the rails, so I'll be giving it another chance and especially making sure to get issue 13. Roberts may be the writer, but Milne is a great storyteller and has proven he can handle both character and sophistication.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Costa's Ironhide miniseries was fun as all hell and I won't take any of this slander.

Also, I reread the entirety of MTMTE recently, and while there are bits early on that I rolled my eyes at that I didn't on my first read, my enjoyment still dropped off at the same point (steadily getting worse after issue #40, hitting a nadir with the start of Lost Light). It's not just familiarity breeding contempt; it's the writing genuinely getting less enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bumblemus Prime

I remember really liking Casey's art on that. But felt like it was a Spotlight decompressed into a miniseries. I'm hard on Costa but often I felt like he had similar issues to the Furmanation era, in that he stretched good 2-4 issue ideas out to 6 issues.

(The irony of Furmanation, of course, was that the 8-12 issue epic Revelation should have been was then squashed into 4 issues, until it was rehashed in Dark Cybertron after we all stopped caring.)

I mean, all this is fair. I do believe it's disrespectful to ever go after someone for liking what they like, or vice versa. I do also want people to consider that maybe there is a degree of familiarity breeding contempt here?

I hit the nadir around the personality ticks story. James has a terrible habit of killing characters via enormous pathos-inducing sacrifice then bringing them back, and that REALLY ticked me off in the "goodbye little one" aftermath. The only time it's ever worked was with Rewind--both Rung's return and Cyclonus's "oh, I'm fine, 'cept for some holes in my chassis" were dramatic cheats.

I found the entire Functionist U story to be too long and too confusing, and a clear broadcast of "the writer isn't sure what to do with Megatron, so here's an alternate universe where he can get a do-over," which essentially de-fangs Megs just after Dying of the Light showed how close to the surface his inner tyrant/beserker is.

I am willing to give the whole thing a slight pass, though, because it's clear that James' stories were reordered & changed up due to Combiner Wars, TR & Revolution. (See another post, I think in the "I'm done" thread, where we reverse-engineered the original numbering for Dying of the Light & Functionist U story.)

But. Dying of the Light has to be one of my top 5 comic arcs of all time. Unlike a lot of people, the steady, creeping pace didn't put me off, but drew me in, with suspense like a slow boil. The conclusion bore out my pet theory about Megatron--that he had much more up his sleeve than we suspected--and also paid off the DJD handsomely, as Megatron de-powered their characters while he killed them. I must be one of the 4 people that thought the Revolution tie-in was fecking hilarious.

I did enjoy the two-part Nautica story in LL recently, though. I thought James was setting us up for a cheap Skids return, and the result--that Nautica was essentially mnemosurgeried into forgetting him--was rather subtle and deft and much more of a twist of the knife than he's done in a while. If Tailgate's end is similarly non-mitigated, I'll feel like Roberts has gained my goodwill back.

I'll cave to liking Priscilla's art more than Jack Lawrence's, which was part of it. But mostly, I still feel that James is giving us depth in the Transformers milieu that no other writer ever has. Scott and Barber are getting there as they explore the divergent colonies, but James laid a foundation with the concept of Functionism and the idea of Megatron-as-Lenin that respects the core of the franchise in a way I've never seen any writer do, not even the Furmanator.

I might also be trying to justify the amount I spent on third-party toys, though. (Where's my SotW Tarantulas, MMC?)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. James has injected a myriad of layers to the universe with often interesting concepts, more so than any other writer. I can't help by feel they're more frivolously applied in recent years, overshadowed by a collection of characters competing in the spotlight for cuteness, sass and indifference.

Rather than being convoluted, I found the Functionist universe arc to be mostly inconsequential. Some of it is likely to be due to a change of artist, but the whole story seemed to lack weight, despite an apparent cataclysmic event. Not taking itself too seriously was one of the more refreshing aspects of MTMTE. However, it feels like central characters have been getting progressively more detached from their circumstances as they distill into caricatures preoccupied with their own social status.

Tragedy is another aspect I enjoy in James' writing. But as you've pointed out it's commonly reversed or immediately rectified, which contributes to character detachment and diminishes any feeling of consequence. I must admit I'd lost all empathy for Tailgate and Cyclonus by the end of their melodramatic relationship, which may be a result of authorial intention to soften the blow. I'm aware James gets a lot of correspondence from people with ranging self esteem that feel strong connections to the characters. I can understand a feeling of responsibility he might have as a result. However I'll always value a meaningful life over a long one and will eventually lose interest if I don't have an emotional hook.

I imagine there is a cumulative effect of minor disconnections which could be equated to familiarity, but it doesn't account for the feeling of loss many of us have.

I admit I haven't read the latest arc, despite it exploring earlier mysteries. I'm happy to hear Nautica has been given some development beyond being affected by schoolyard pressures at the 'Camien Institute of Arts'. Personality Ticks was a strong signal this was no longer the same book to me, as was Swearth. The sideshow suddenly became the main event.

Still, I'm confident Milne can present a degree of gravitas the series has been missing. Lawrence is a good artist, however his work tends to emphasize the naivety of the text.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017