Military Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Altercron, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

As some of you guys know, I enlisted in the US Air Force a couple months back. And I'm discovering, as my recruiter warned me, that the Air Force is viewed as the Special Ed branch of the military by the other 3 branches, and supporters of those branches. Why is this? I don't get it.

Is it solely because the Air Force doesn't see combat, especially ground combat, as much as the others (with the possible exception of the Navy)? Is it because the Air Force is the newest of the 4 main branches? At first I thought it was because the AF stays stateside more than the Army, Marines, and Navy; but the Coast Guard literally doesn't stray far from home either.

This is something that puzzles me. It doesn't so much offend me as it just kinda gets under my skin when I have a "Jarhead" call me a pussy just because I didn't join the Marines. Or when someone tells me: "A real man would've joined the Army!", I actually had a 3rd shift manager at the Wal Mart I was working at tell me that, he did offend me, but that was because it was one of my bosses ridiculing me.

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciatted.

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Maybe it is because the Air Force takes the "rejects" the other branches won't? Hell, even if you aren't cleared to fly, you usually get slapped in a ground crew position. It could also be that the Air Force usually doesn't get deployed except for long distance attacks?

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

First, if any branch is the bitch, it's the Coast Guard.

Second, they're likely taking that view because you're not on the front lines with a gun in your hand getting shot at. I would wager that a lot of these views come from people who associate a higher chance of death with being a real man.

One way or the other, you're serving the country, and they should shut their pipe. Next time, just remind the dude that he's still a night manager at WalMart, and ask him how he's protecting your freedom.

4. Jux

Oh, and print this out:

[​IMG]

5. Altercron

Rejects? Next to the Coast Guard the Air Force requires the highest AFQT on the ASVAB to even be enlisted....Army is the lowest as I recall in terms of required score.
    I've always assumed the second part of what you were saying to be a large part of it. But I included the Coast Guard part fo your post because if the Air Force gets ridiculed for not being on the front lines, you'd think the Coast Guard would get it 10x as hard right? But I've never heard a word said to a Coast Guardsman.

I appreciate the first part of that Jux, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside whenever someone says that what i am doing is important.

And that manager is actually the reason I left that Wal Mart, I got sick of his shit. Every chance he got, he gave me shit about the AF, and it was never in a playfull way either.

EDIT: printed and posted on my myspace as soon as I upload it. Thanks Jux, just sent that to my Marine buddy.

6. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    air force wont take prior service, no matter how smart you are. airforce has the nicest facilities, takes care of its people also, plus has the hottest chicks. doesnt mean youre a pussy if you decide to join the airforce, and it doesnt mean you any less of a man, youre still serving your country. people that have been or are in the military always make jokes about other service branches, thats how we get along. all miltary branches take rejects, idiots, you name it, we have every type of moron-just like any job, but we also have some very smart and dedicated people. also, jarheads call everbody that isnt a jarhead a pussy, it makes them feel better about having small dicks.lol. its all fun boot. airforce is a smart choice. good luck.

7. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    hey jux, eat my ass,lol. i'm in the coast guard.

8. Jux

In high school, I went to the old Mile High Stadium in Denver for a soccer game. I passed a Coast Guard recruiting booth, and the officer shouted at me, "Son, what do you know about the Coast Guard?"

I replied "I know you're the weakest branch of the military and I'm not interested" and kept walking.

True or not, if anyone deserves flak from people with that viewpoint, it's them. They've got a severely aging, rusting fleet that they can't get funding to replace, and yeah, they're supposedly our "first line of home defense" but I haven't heard many good things about them. I appreciate all members of the armed forces, but I don't see how someone could call out the Air Force for those types of reasons.

Most of the Army/Marine guys don't like the Air Force because the "zoomies" take all their kills.

9. Jux

And I thank you sir.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    man you gotta talk smack back.

if youve enlisted and you respond to smack by bitching abt it on a toy forum, youve already lost man.

its either talk shit back at them, let it slide off your back or pent it up so you can go postal on em later.

11. Altercron

I got that warm fuzzy feeling again. Thanks. And the same goes to you, even if you are in the Coast Guard. :D 

Another theory I had is that long ago it started out as freindly joking. And people have forgotten the freindly part. I've seen a simple joke of this sort lead to full out arguements and harsh words before (we once had two armed service recruiters at my high school at one time. The students took their preferences....seriosuly.

LMAO, "zoomies" I'll have to remember that one

12. Altercron

Actually, this was less bitching, more wanted to get other people's feedback kinda thing.

As I said in my original post, the only time I have gotten pissed about it was when that manager was talkin smack. And he was never in the military.

13. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    ah fuck, us coasties get no love, except from navy wives.

14. Jux

edit: nm

15. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Thank you for keeping our waterways, and coastlines safe. I thoroughly enjoyed watching a Coast Guard exercise while down in Corpus Christi, TX.

As for my comments on the Air Force, I was kidding. Heck, out here we have the Air Force National Guard training base AND Davis Monthan Air Force Base too. I used to work out by the airport and we'd constantly here the turbine whine of military jets overhead.

Altercon, as for your asswipe of a manger next time he has the audacity to say something ask him what branch he served in. If he says none, then I'd reply with a no so friendly "then shut up about me being in the Air Force and you go enlist with the Marines." The Marines are usually the first to be deployed, and the last to be pulled out.

The Air Force is one cool division and you may even get to play with some "cool toys" depending on where your final assignment is.

16. Altercron

Again, the guy isn't my manager anymore, so I doubt I'll run into him again. But I should've done that the first time he said something. As for my assignment, I cant wait for basic and job training to be over with. Something tells me I am going to spend the majority of next year in Texas though.

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    AFBs have really nice lunch areas that look less like a cafeteria and more like a restaurant. they have some nice benefits like that that army and marine guys don't get. they say it means you're soft, I say it means they're jealous.

18. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Very likely. I want to say that there is a joint forces training facility in Corpus Christi, TX. Pretty town, has the necessities but it is HUMID AS HELL. The cool thing about Corpus is it is not too far away from the MUCH larger Houston area and historical Galvaston, TX. I can't say that is WHERE you'll be going but there is a training facility there.

Also, it is about a three hour drive from Corpus Christi down to the Brownsville/Matamores border. Brownsville is a bit rundown looking but the sister town Matamores is a BEAUTIFUL city once you get past the border area.

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    its a beautiful area down there. humidity is manageable :p  Me being from SE 'Misery' though, take that comment with a grain of salt!

20. Altercron

I know that San Antonio=Basic Training. But with my MOS being Security Forces, there are a couple of different bases I could go to for training for my job. Cool thing though, my Basic Training is February and March. Cold(er) Texas, not (as) humid. Gotta love that part anyway.