Military Personnel-dealing with PCS woes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by *Deathblade, Apr 19, 2012.

1. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How do you handle PSCing(moving done by packers) with your collection? What kind of experiences have you had with it? Other than alot of heckling and frustration on the part of the packers, I came out relatively......OK this time.

One of my biggest peeves is the certainty of crushed boxes. I had at least 20 TF boxes that were crushed or mangled this time, like the pepsi prime I had signed by peter cullen :banghead: ...that and they lost one of my boxes full of toys...getting ready to file my claim soon, its gonna suck.

Anhybody else here deal with this? What kind of experiences have you had with this?

2. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Personally, I never let the packers get near my TF's the one time I PCS'd. I packed them all up myself and moved them on my own.

3. *Deathblade

News Credits:
    I take all my games, they "lost" like 30 of my game cases last time. Luckily I had packed the disks. My collection is way too large to transport myself.

4. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Even too large for a U-Haul trailor, of course if you're PCSing OCONUS that wouldn't work though.

5. *Deathblade

News Credits:
    would have been too much work...then I am married, so no lol!

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Your only option is to pack your stuff yourself in a way that it won't be crushed, unfortunately.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Glad I'm in the MEB process, no more PCS for me. I wouldn't let transportation NEAR my collection!

8. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

When I used to PCS I would pack my collection in plastic boxes and they could be packed that way. I took pictures of everything before it was packed and as it was being packed. I also signed and numbered every box. The stuff that was really important to me I shipped my self...

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I vote for uhaul trailer. In the long run it'll save you a TON of headaches. Even if you have to let a family member/friend babysit your collection til you can personally transport it up, it'll be worth it. I wouldn't trust ANYONE to transport my TFs except for the wifey, one brother and possibly two friends.

10. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Veteran

News Credits:
    Same here!

11. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I got lucky. I PCSd 10 times plus a few local moves and the only thing that ever got damaged was a minor dent in my LaserDisc player in the early 90s.

But yeah, pack it yourself if you're that concerned.

12. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

i had the military pack my stuff when i moved from grand forks nd to (spokane) fairchild wa..IMO it wasnt a bad idea...a couple of items broke but was paid well over the going price for items that were damaged and just rebought said items..they also lost a box w/ all my hardware for my bowflex and paid me handsomly for it..items were double and sometimes triple wrapped individually and any voids in the box were filled with packing peanuts or buffered with crumpled up packing paper..very satisfied:thumbs2: ..:2c: 

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  13. Kenucme

Kenucme Yes, I'd get that one too

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This has ever been an issue since I started collecting again in 2002. My next PCS in 2006 I ended up doing partial DITY/self-procured move. The Army procured movers can pack and move all my household belongings. But I'm not letting them near my actual collection.

Unfortunately that means getting a U-haul truck because of the size of my collection. But the money I make off moving my own stuff compensates pretty well. The only real hangup comes from family helping and not being properly careful to avoid banging things up.

If I have to go overseas again, I'm rather torn over what I'm going to do. I think I'd need a trusted friend or two to manage my stuff in a storage unit while I'm outside the US. Better than taking it overseas, only to have to move it back through the mover's system.

14. *Deathblade

News Credits:
    yeh uhaul would be my only option. I have since numbered and inventoried alot of my stuff that is boxed. Doing the stuff in tubs is going to super suck.

15. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

First Ive got to say, Its good to see other Military members on the boards. Ive been in the AF since 97 and have PCSd a few times and most of the time I pack my own Electonics, movies, games, and collectables. The only thing Ive ever had broken was a computer desk, that showed uo to Virgina in 25 pieces. Of course I got full reimbursment so that madeit ok.

That being said I PCSd to korea in late 09, and to Japan in 10 so I havent seen any of my stuff in almost 3 years! I cant wait for the reunion.

16. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I'm really glad I read this thread. It's a shame that movers can't pay more attention to what they're doing, though. Currently I only have a small collection, but if I can get it back to the size it was, or even bigger no one will be touching it except me. Should I ever be deployed OCONUS I'll just be leaving it with a good friend of mine back home. Besides, there's always a few extra bucks to be made going the dity move. Good luck on the move, DB.

17. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    DITY moves suck. Too much damn work.

18. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

i did a partial DITY and THE PAPER WORKED SUX'D when i (we..wife n i both military) got orders to fairchild afb..would i haved carried my collection myself yes..but i also didnt have a truck to haul my car with and my wife was driving her car as well..and the only thing i love more then my bots( my collection) is my car..n i actually trust the military movers more with my collection more so then my car..its alot harder to get the uncle to pay for 1000s of dollars of damage to a car then a few hundred for bots...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  19. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice to see fellow military members on this board too.

My recommendation for packing your collection for PCS moves is to invest in some Rubbermaid plastic storage tubs (relatively inexpensive at Walmart/Target or your local BX/PX), or even some of those Gator heavy duty storage bins with the wheels and locks (more expensive) if you're super hardcore about the integrity of your boxes and figures.

But for my purposes, 4 large Rubbermaid tubs have done the trick for me so far. Sure you'll have to play a little box Tetris to fit your collection in there but if you're the type to save all your toy packaging like I do, they can be a lifesaver.

Also, I recommend taking digital pictures of all your high cost items as documented proof that you own them and showing their condition prior to being boxed/handled by the TMO moving gorillas. Get a disposable camera if you have to but the more documentation (like receipts or even screenshots of Web sites like BBTS with hard set prices of certain figures) and pictures you have, the stronger your case will be when you're filing a claim. As they say in the military, if it ain't in writing, you're SOL.