Military/Government Coverup of Mission City Battle...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Darthbane2007, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I went there.

Anyway, as we all know, at the end of Transformers, Keller states that he president has ordered sector 7 to be terminated, and the remans of the decepticons to be disposed of. In the novel, it states the same thing, but the government and military is covering it up as a military experiment gone bad, or something similar.

My question is, why go through all the trouble? You had hundreds of witnesses who saw the whole battle, and i'm sure someone had a camera to film at least part of it.

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Will Smith: "Okay, everyone, just look at this..."

*flashy thing*

Tommy Lee Jones: "Right, what you all actually saw was swamp gas..."

3. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    According to Bay's DVD commentary, the credits scenes of Sam's parents are them contributing to a cover-up. I think with the human soldiers working alongside the Autobots in the sequel, I reckon it'll be a painfully obvious 'no comment' policy from the government if they continue this angle.

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Oh, god, don't even get me started. It's just a movie.

The real government can't even do coverups all that well. People still think a balloon crashed at Roswell. Oh, and Area 51 does not officially exist to this day. I'm pretty sure it is there.

5. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

Pretend, just pretend, that the Mission City battle occurred in your town. Which would you be more likely to believe, that everything you saw was a government experiment gone wrong or that you just witnessed aliens fighting their age-old war. Which one do you think most people would believe?

6. Sideways

Sideways Banned

this ^.

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    well, noone is sure what they saw (random witnesses anyways)

i figure the coverup will be like what they were sorta doing in Iron Man-have the story be somethin ridiculous and questionable, yet its the official story, and thats all they're getting. then there will be conspiracy stories (many of which are true) yet still most people would rather go with a simple explanation than believe what the truth really is.

8. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    It is quite simple...sector 7 was a front for cobra...The autobots in the up coming movie will find their war being fought against a sinister cobra/decepticon combined army that is hell bent on conquering the world in the name of megatron with cobra commander being given free reign over America....

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With any luck they will not go into the cover up thing too much because it would be hard to do it without being either really silly or something that's been way over done in films. Maybe a line or two and just let the people watching the film work it out for themselves how in the heck they could ever pull it off.

I'll take the Gadep one and blame it on Cobra.

10. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    considering the 2nd movie takes 2 years after the first, they will only explain it in 1 or 2 simple lines which kind of leave the explanation open like: "Hey, we don't want a what happened in downtown happening again. It took alot to convince those people that what they saw was just a training op"

And then leave it at that. No further explanation. Use the rest of the movie to develop the plot.

That is what I would hope for to be completely honest. What happened in the last movie, happened in the last movie. We're on to the 2nd movie. It is a stand alone movie.

11. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    a wizard did it

12. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The other day I've read somewhere the U.S. Military kept Megatron's body and never dump it into the ocean. It also said Megatron will be revive by his own spark with the help of Scorponok. It said that will happen in ROTF.

Has anybody else heard about this?

13. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

So who's body did they dump into the Ocean?

14. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey I am just as confused about it as you are. I asked myself the same question, but that is what they said on Comicbookmovie.com

15. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Did you just feel that? Could have sworn it was a plot hole...

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

You forgot one of the little points.....there was no communications or power in the city.So I doubt there would have been much camera footage from any official sources.

Witnesses can be either payed off,intimidated or debunked.

Camera footage from any civilians [if it were possible considering the virus and the power issues] could be claimed to be faked.

And I doubt that the footage would have been great at all.

Look at Colverfield.The footage of the monster in that movie would have been the type that any witnesses would have captured with a camera. You could hardly make out the monster threw out the whole film.

17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Yes, I read that at IMDB. Which means someone probably pulled it out of his rectum. They even spelled Scorponok's name AWFULLY wrong.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The rumor has floated around in a couple of different ways from the government dumped a fake body in the ocean so the Autobots thought it was all over to the government saved the interal bits like the spark chamber and Megatron's brain.

But hey it's the movies so you can get by with some sort of movie logic to get by with things. Not like the first film didn't have little things like Barricade is there, oh no wait now he's not there.

19. O_Prime05

O_Prime05 Katsohiten Prime

Considering the fact that maybe the kept Megs. It wasn't shown that the news video taped the whole body dumping. So for all we know it was a just shown to us to throw the audience off for this movie. So idk. I can't wait to find out though.

20. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Ah yes, the most popular theory to use when something makes absolutely no sense.

Anywho, as for the Government/military trying to cover up the battle in Mission City, I wouldn't bank on it, seeing as though there were people panicking throughout the place. But if they want to make a coverup, go with the infamous "a wizard did it" theory. :thumb