Mike Costa confirmed as the new IDW Transformers ongoing writer

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Are you?
    IDW hasn't had enough Josh recently.

2. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love your work. But not Nick's writing or pencils. Are you on the ongoing?

3. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I'm excited about this new ongoing series. A new writer coming onboard is a welcome change, and the artwork in the teaser looks good. However, I hope they keep the movie-style faces to a minimum. They just look a little strange to me. I also noticed that Bumblebee in the background seems to have wings now kinda like the movie version. Interesting.

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Must be Hound, he's kinda tiny and his face is kinda messed up like Bumblebee's. I missed Cliffy behind Prime's elbow at first.

And I'll repeat, what continuity? There's been little of it before, don't hold your breath expecting it now. Just be fortunate for the few crumbs we get for supporting the license the past three years.

5. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Definitely curious where this new ongoing comic will lead us. Will be checking it out for sure! Don Fig and Nick Roche are definite selling points for me!

I think many of you are taking the whole 'movie-styled G1 art' way too seriously, to the point where some of you are saying you won't even give the comic a chance if you see this change in art style. That's strikes me as very narrow-minded. We've barely begun to see where this kind of art could go and alot of you already are judging it so harshly. Be open-minded and give the comic a chance, people. If not for the artwork necessarily then how about checking out the stories?

Gosh, i'm sorry you've had to read alot of these over-reactive critical comments here, Don. I can only imagine how disheartening it must be to get such bad reception to your art. But please don't be too put off by what you read here.

Your work's always been some of the most beautiful i've ever seen. And i agree you need to allow yourself the space to develop and alter your style over time as you feel the need to. The worst thing would be if you grow tired and uninspired by doing the same kind of art over and over again; that would make your work unmotivating and the result could be 'stale', 'lifeless' artwork. You need to keep imbuing your art with life and genuine interest. If experimenting with a movie-style look is what feels right to you, then i say try it!

We've only seen some people's initial doubtful reactions to your new-style art here. Who's to say that we won't warm up to it in time to come? People often react negatively to change of any sort with things that are precious and familiar to them; we just need time to get a feel for and accept new things.

And btw, Don, i personally have never grown tired of "seeing the same thing over and over" from you. I practically dribble over any of your past artwork!

6. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I hate the movie look with a passion. If it intrudes into the G1-based comics I buy, then I'll stop buying them. If this offends people who think I should 'just give it a chance,' well, sorry. Not gonna happen. At $4 a pop, I'm not going to keep buying a book in which I dislike how the classic characters look.

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    I didn't copy your post Black Oracle, but I agree with you 100%:thumbs2: 
    I'm ready for a new series, and if judging by the picture posted here, Prowl is in this series with Prime, BB, and others, YAY!! I've missed Prowl and he needs to be back in a new series, not just off planet hanging out somewhere.
    I say lets give Don, Mike, and IDW a chance, I'll buy the series when its released. ;) 

8. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd liek IDW to do some non-G1/Movie comics. Even if it was a miniseries, it would be nice.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    They are.
    It's more a numbering thing.
    Instead of starting over every six issues with a new title and number 1, there will be one Transformers title that might actually reach double digits!
    It's easier for readers and retailers to keep up with.

Now that I have seen the art in higher rez I can say that I like the new designs. I was actually going to give up on IDW's books -more for the management decisions than any of the talent involved.

But I have to admit I'm a little excited to see what is coming -a fresh face as a writer and the return of my favorite artist are hard to turn down.

Those new designs look pretty damn cool. I would love a toy of that Optimus. I just hope that IDW encourages the artists to all use those designs. Artistic license is great, but use the same model.
    I think that was a big failing of their early titles.
    There were all these cool updates, but then on the covers the artists would use designs based on the cartoon, toys, etc.

I feel like I never really got to see a clear look at EJ's Seekers.

Didn't Guido do all of AHM?

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Yeah. ive "signed up" to work with Nick and color the Wreckers mini. Layed some colors on that cover there thats shown off. i'll probly post a bigger version soon if its cool with IDW

I did colors for the next issue of AHM:Coda. Both the Galvatron and Sunstreaker stories. Also worked with Guido on the Spike Witwicky story so. there's a little bit i've helped with comin out soon
    :D 

I guess thats your preference =) i'm cool with that

Me on the ongoing??? I have no idea. I havent been approached but..maybe i'll ask. they might want me to concentrate more on the Wreckers once that gets started up

i guess time will tell :p 

11. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I hope they use the Wreckers mini to kill off Drift.

12. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Irony. That's all I got.

13. JAYSCREAM

JAYSCREAM CACHOW!

Ebay:
    i know sports teams change there rosters all the time ........... kup.........wreakers................:sly2:  dont give me that guff. i know its a reboot of sorts but to me it dont fit. i dont renember them being referd to as the wreakers in a.h.m. maby i missed a speach bubble..... and i loved kup in that it worked....... so maby it will work....... nooooo, see that guy on the left thats impactor go on idw give him a look in, he's the u.k. transformer fandoms bobafett!!!!!

14. frilly toothpick

frilly toothpick Decepticrumb

all of these sound cool. cant wait to read them.

15. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

An ongoing monthly series? Fuck'n finally! It's about time.

Sad to see no Simon, but he'll pop up sooner or later I'm sure.

Also more Don Fig in my TransFormers is like more cowbell in my music, always a good thing. Good luck IDW you can count me in to support the titles.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  16. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm used to it:)  it comes with the territory. I know I can't please everybody and some will always find that tiny little pea I put under their mattresses uncomfortable enough that it ruins their sleep all night.

17. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I'm thrilled about Costa, I think he could do a good job... but man, Joe is getting Max Brooks. I really wish he was doing something TF related, as well. He even references Transformers in World War Z!

Anyone else notice this has some elements from that Flash animated mini-toon on the Hasbro web site? I'm really starting to wonder if we're getting a glimpse into what the new series for Discovery Hasbro might look like.

18. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Cool, I'll definitely pick up the Wreckers comic.

19. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm...

Ongoing = Good. Gives more chance for plot, charachter development, and sub-plots than a mini IMO.

Costa = Unknown. His Starscream story in AHM #13 was decent. I wish it was Furman a little as I liked the "Ation" stuff but Costa definately deserves a shot.

Don = Weirdly unsure. See I LOVE Don's stuff of old. He's easily my favorite TF artist ever, when he draws in his old style. The Movie-esque style from AHM #13... not so good. Mostly the faces. He dials those back and I'm thrilled... as is, huh, I never thought I'd feel ambiguous about Don doing a TF book...

Bumblebee special = eh... I like BB ok, and I'll buy it but, yawn... not really in anyway exciting in my book.

Wreckers = Love Roche. Love the Wreckers. Yay. :)  Kinda wish Furman had a writters credit here since the Wreckers are something he does well, but after the Kup Spotlight I also trust Roche to do a great job.

20. TheGreatMrChibi

TheGreatMrChibi The tighter shirt.

So YOU'RE the one! D: