Heavy/Scratch: Migs' Classics Constructicons

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Miggytron, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Nothing new or groundbreaking here for the Radicon community as a whole, but it's a huge step for me personally I finally got cracking on this project about a month or two ago after spending months assembling the parts to make it.

What I'm trying to do with this build is to take the individual Constructicons as far into G1 Cartoon aesthetics as I possibly can. So this means new heads for everybody and a whole lot more for a few of them.

I have a ton of people to thank for their help with this project but I'll probably save that for when I'm done. In the meantime, here are some work in progress shots.

Hook

[​IMG]
    New head. New arms and ptitvite arm transformation. (This whole bash is based on ptitvite's design of course but the arm mod is one that seemed unique to his particular version). Added a cab to his foot/alt mode front to make him look more like his G1 self. Lots of mods to make him combine.

Hook in alt mode
    [​IMG]

Scrapper
    [​IMG]
    New head and mods to make him combine. Still to come is the little roof part that was so iconic to his G1 self. I'm also toying with the idea of making his chest removable so that a) I can give him a more G1, purple chest and b) to make him look less booby.

UPDATE - 03/04/2011

Finally sacked up and took the Dremel to Scrapper for the chest mod. I really didn't have much of a plan going in but I'm glad to say it worked out pretty well!

[​IMG]

So basically I chopped off his chest/cockpit. I then made a new chest/cod piece out of styrene. Scrapper has always been my favorite constructicon so it has always bugged me that noone could do the proper paint scheme on him due to Landmine's transformation.

The piece connects via magnet. I may or may not permanently attach this piece where it is. Depends on how it looks painted. The cab reattaches back into it's original spot with no problem for vehicle and leg mode. The only thing holding it in is the little pegs for the smoke stack pivot.

The neat thing is that the chest piece mounts to where I have the Devy leg magnets, so it covers up that bit of combiner kibble.

Bonecrusher
    [​IMG]
    New head and modded to combine. I really like how his head turned out. Now he looks like a short buff guy as opposed to a kid like the original figure.

Scavenger
    [​IMG]
    New head and his back has been modded to combine (not shown). I tried to make a chest piece for him to make him look G1 only to find it messed with transformation. Still brainstorming on this guy. I think I might come up with some piece to give him hips that don't flop around.

Mixmaster (Alt Mode)
    [​IMG]
    This guy is the pain. Derivative of jbarb78's non partsforming design (thanks for the blessing jbarb!), he's been frankensteined from parts from Energon barricade, Classics Prowl and ROTF Mixmaster. The drum still isn't attached because I'm still trying to find a cab that will work. I've got one on order but if it doesn't fit I'm just gonna scratch build the damn thing from styrene.

Mixmaster (Bot mode)
    [​IMG]
    I know he looks kind of Megatron-ish. Once I paint his head, that should go away. Anyways lots of Styrene work left to be done on his chest and legs. I haven't even messed with combination mods yet.

UPDATE - 11/18/2010

[​IMG]

Here's where I'm at with the cab so far. The basic shape is done I think. I just need to build some bumpers, glue on the headlights and front grill and do a ton of filling and sanding. Otherwise I'm happy with the proportions and it looks like the hinges will all work out.

[​IMG]

Long Haul

Really excited about how this guy is turning out! My main issue with the Demolishor figure was how fat, squat and tiny armed he looked. Long Haul should be big and tough.

[​IMG]

So with that in mind, I gave him new arms and a new head. The Head isn't attached yet and I'm most likely just going to put a magnet on his neck to be stowed in the truck bed in alt mode. Note that I did away with the rotating chest gimmick because I feel like Long Haul's chest should be a truck grill.

His arms are the opposite of Mixmaster since I had leftover upper arms from Prowl and forearms from Energon Barricade. I figured waste not want not and they were sufficiently massive enough for the look I wanted. There are a ton of joints in the shoulder area, allowing for lots of configurations. This one was the one I liked best.

Purely as an aesthetic change, I chopped off the front tires and stuck some magnets on them. They stick to his back in bot mode so that he doesn't have the love handles look. With the new arms and waist, I like to think that I put Long Haul through P90X LOL

[​IMG]

The arms do NOT partsform. They just fold into the truck bed. Also, the wheels go back where they belong. They don't roll anymore but I don't mind. Oh, also these tires are from some random construction vehicle. I didn't like the dubs look on his tires. Bonus: the wheels are rubber!

And of course...

Devastator (really early)
    [​IMG]
    This was an early version of the combined form. I thought I was being all clever by hiding the arm connector ports on Hook's swing arm thing but it made the arm stick out way too far. Also Scavenger's connector was an extra piece. Once I decided that having connection kibble on Hook was acceptable, I ditched this connection scheme.

Devastator (Mid-Fabrication)
    [​IMG]
    (Thanks for the head zfeakye) Still missing the chest shield and need to finish Mixmaster before I can move on to anything else. A million thanks have to go to Sioce for his direct advice on how to do the combiner mods.

Update 03/01/11

Devastator (Current)
    [​IMG]

I've gotta be the slowest customizer on the planet. LOL Anyways, here's where we stand today. I have the chest shield done and Mixmaster is now attached. Attaching Mixmaster was the source of my basher's block because nothing was working how I had planned it in my head. I had to find a new set of legs for him since the wheels that I had put on there were getting in the way of Devy leg mode. Also, I nearly drove myself nuts trying to make him a not-partsformer. I still might try to figure out a hinge for that in the future but for now, the cement drum is attached by magnet.

I also tweaked the connection of the left arm so that it's closer to the body. I'm real close to painting. I just need to cover up some ugly spots with styrene and finish up Mixmaster!

Anyways man I'm a chatty bastard. Comments, criticisms, questions and suggestions all appreciated. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. imoff2186

imoff2186 Well-Known Member

excelent job so far!

3. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice work. Looks fun. I personally don't like those toys your using but I guess it's improving them so that makes them better.

4. Miggytron

Thanks!

I agree with you LOL

In their original forms, I don't like any of these figures but there's a specific recipe for building this type of Devastator. Making them look as G1 Cartoon as possible was my way of getting around my dislike for these molds :) 

5. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

I like how every single version of this project brings something new and slightly different to the table. It's nice.

One day, eventually, I'll get around to this.

6. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    WOW those primus arms look so much better than my unicron's...
    but since I have only 2 primus and lots of Uni's... I made sense ;) 

BTW stay tuned cuz I'm about to unleash a BarriMixer onto the Radicons as a individual thread, since to work I've done is groundbreaking for me :p 

7. zfeakye

zfeakye Starscreaming Slut

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice work on the mods to the heads!
    No prob on the devy head. If you need a chest plate, i casted the chest shields too!!

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

NICE!!

To some degree, much of this has been seen before in other Ptitvite Devastator recipes, but I really have to commend you for making the extra effort to mod the heads of the individual Constructicons to match their G1 counterparts! It's a step that too many kitbashers don't bother with, and I think it improves the overall project fantastically.

Well done! :D 

zmog

9. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Looking great so far! i love the new heads.

10. Miggytron

Update time!

Mixmaster
    [​IMG]

Here's where I'm at with the cab so far. The basic shape is done I think. I just need to build some bumpers, glue on the headlights and front grill and do a ton of filling and sanding. Otherwise I'm happy with the proportions and it looks like the hinges will all work out.

[​IMG]

Long Haul

Really excited about how this guy is turning out! My main issue with the Demolishor figure was how fat, squat and tiny armed he looked. Long Haul should be big and tough.

[​IMG]

So with that in mind, I gave him new arms and a new head. The Head isn't attached yet and I'm most likely just going to put a magnet on his neck to be stowed in the truck bed in alt mode. Note that I did away with the rotating chest gimmick because I feel like Long Haul's chest should be a truck grill.

His arms are the opposite of Mixmaster since I had leftover upper arms from Prowl and forearms from Energon Barricade. I figured waste not want not and they were sufficiently massive enough for the look I wanted. There are a ton of joints in the shoulder area, allowing for lots of configurations. This one was the one I liked best.

Purely as an aesthetic change, I chopped off the front tires and stuck some magnets on them. They stick to his back in bot mode so that he doesn't have the love handles look. With the new arms and waist, I like to think that I put Long Haul through P90X LOL

[​IMG]

The arms do NOT partsform. They just fold into the truck bed. Also, the wheels go back where they belong. They don't roll anymore but I don't mind. Oh, also these tires are from some random construction vehicle. I didn't like the dubs look on his tires. Bonus: the wheels are rubber!

11. zfeakye

zfeakye Starscreaming Slut

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice work on Long haul!!

12. Miggytron

Devastator (Current)
    [​IMG]

I've gotta be the slowest customizer on the planet. LOL Anyways, here's where we stand today. I have the chest shield done and Mixmaster is now attached. Attaching Mixmaster was the source of my basher's block because nothing was working how I had planned it in my head. I had to find a new set of legs for him since the wheels that I had put on there were getting in the way of Devy leg mode. Also, I nearly drove myself nuts trying to make him a not-partsformer. I still might try to figure out a hinge for that in the future but for now, the cement drum is attached by magnet.

I also tweaked the connection of the left arm so that it's closer to the body. I'm real close to painting. I just need to cover up some ugly spots with styrene and finish up Mixmaster!

13. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    WOW this is gonna look way nicer than mine dude!

14. Genticon

Genticon Member

Hahaha!!! Very Niice!!! I like how you kept the same combination from G1. The coloring gives it a nice Diaclone/G1/G2 mix!!

15. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i like all the modifications you made to the individual figs (using the classics prowl arms and different heads) it really makes them more like an update of the originals.

looking great

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Headsculpts for each Constructicon = :bowdown: 

I wish more people took that essential step. They look great.

zmog

17. Miggytron

Pffft. These Devastators are like snowflakes. All beautiful in their own special ways LOL Yours turned out great man

Haha I wish I could take credit for the "recipe" but it was all ptitvite and the plethora of radicons that evolved the design afterwards. This guy is unpainted right now so he will end up geing G1 green and purple.

Thanks guys! I'm really trying to up the pace of this build but at the same time I really do want it to be different somehow.

18. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Longhaul is SICK!! I love the fact that you made your own cab man, THAT is cool!

19. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

you're the second unfortunately. i have mine at 25% painted. lol. its been more than year now.

i love the heads. my fave on yours is longhaul. kick ass.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

Looking great so far.