Heavy/Scratch: Mighty Orbots *Need Some Ideas*

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by thyvipera, Jan 22, 2009.

1. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

I'm doing a commission for a client, a combiner team called "Mighty Orbots", an 80s cartoon evidently.

Does anyone have any ideas of some base figures that would work for these guys? they don't transform individually, they just combine to form 1 big voltron-looking robot.

my only idea right now is animated lugnut for the "Crunch" character )the purple guy).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

ani blackarachnia for the humonoids?
    ani Prime or Starscream for the guy in the red?
    I remember this cartoon... I think.

3. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    well i know that they are based off the god mars robot and that just had a SOC release.

4. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

thanks, those are some good ideas

5. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

They aren't really based off God Mars, although the unreleased toy they would have had in the 80s was a repaint of the original God Mars Figure.

The biggest problem your likely to get is that almost all the bots changed mass dramatically when forming the combined mode. Bort, the really thin blue guy, who was a shape shifter would likely work well from Animated Blurr with a little work if your jsut going for the bot modes. But he's also the right leg. Finding a figure that can be thin and lanky enough in bot mode and still bulky enough to be a leg could be difficult. I'd say use transmutate's head for, it would need very little work to match him

Crunch, the fat guy who can eat anything and turn it into power, is the left leg, which jacks up your proportions since he's significantly bigger then Gort in bot mode but the same size in leg mode. I'd honest go with Bulkhead over Lugnut for him, I jsut think he has a closer body type. Plus his head is incredilby close, just needs a little rounding.

Tor, the strong man and big red guy, was the muscles of the group, and with his design I could easily see Prime fitting as him. He's the entire torso though.

Boo and Bo, the two chicks could easily be made from Blackarachnia I think. They both form arms which I think you could make well enough out of her mold as well.

Then your have Ohno is the little pink bot and she act as a kind of powermaster, sliding inside tors chest when they all merge and activating the whole thing. You could probably use a basic or even a minicon for her pretty easily as long as it has basically humanoid proportions.

6. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

thanks, that helps a lot. yes, i was thinking bulkhead too, i dont know why i said lugnut, i dont even know what he looks like :crazy: 

7. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

First off,

I didn't think anyone but me remembered this one ( you can find episodes on VEOH video site ).

Second...I don't know your size needs, but I had pictured using scout size Arcee mold (removing the cycle parts) for the girls. Then using activator animated characters (Lugnut, or Bulkhead) for Crunch. The copter dude would fit into maybe a moded scout size Scrapemetal or activator animated Prowl or if they did an Oil Slick that would work.

Lastly a deluxe size Prime for Tor...

...I just might do this myself...hmmm

8. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

those are some excellent ideas as well. i was looking at the activators bulkhead today in walmart and was loving the size of him. i have a few energon arcee bikes around, i may have to go check those out. thanks for the input.

9. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

<-------Look at my profile pic :) 

I hope you get started soon. Would love to see how this turns out for you.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Actually, to make a small correction, Ohno didn't fit into the chest... the human hero's whole flying car went inside the chest, and then Ohno in the passenger seat added some kind of final component (a circuit or something from her chest) via the dashboard.

There was so much mass-shifting on that show, it would be pretty much impossible to do the Orbots justice in toy form. It would certainly make it easier just to insert Ohno as a powermaster or pilot or something, as you suggest.

Incidentally... you know how you can tell right away from the pic you posted that Orbots was a Japanese co-production? Not from the cartoony character designs... but check out that super-stylin' space-age wall behind them! That's the kind of background art you'd never see in an American cartoon. :) 

zmog

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I remember this one! I liked it when i was little, but my first love was always Optimus Prime. :lol 

Good luck, I'm curious on how your skills will hook these up.

12. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  13. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    This looks like a fun project! I am not familiar with the Orbots but if Lugnut is Crunch, do you plan on doing the whole thing in the animated style?

14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    YouTube - Mighty Orbots Opening Sequence

15. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Thanks!! Actually after seeing the vid, I do remember them now!! And I'm using the name Umbra for one of my customs, so even cooler!

16. limbodian

limbodian New Member

Hey peeps... Kinda new here... but I'll try to help and give a little idea here.

If you wanted to make them as cartoony as possible and wanted the big guy look... well big??? How about a pretender idea? Cartoon shell with bot inside? Of course this means making smaller bots OR larger shells.

Just a thought.

17. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    They never released it. But it got solicited.

19. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

i've always thought it would be a interesting idea to explore recycleing the energon commbiner teams into being the orbots

energon baricade would definately look good bashed up into tors character especially when you consider the fact that baricade actually transforms into the core body combiner form rather simalerly to the way that tors characters forms the body of might orbots

for barricade
    Barricade (2005) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info

for crunch i would go with energon sledge because sledge is built large and bulky like but with out actually looking all portly and fat so the guy could mostly pass for crunch as a combiner limb figure

Sledge (2005) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info

as for bort the shape chaning guy i would go with energon terradive the blue and white a ten warthog limb figure

Terradive (2005) - Autobot - www.tfu.info

as for boe and booe a set of duststorm/wideload limbs could work for them

Duststorm (2005) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info

Wideload (2005) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info

heres a youtube link of the orbots combining

YouTube - Mighty Orbots

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Classics Mirage could be used as a base for either of the girl bots.