Mighty Megatron questions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jorod74, Feb 10, 2007.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    According to his Tech Spec, Megatron was a true bada$$. Able to harness a black hole's energy, and had no obvious weaknesses. Without any other decepticons on earth, Megatron alone would have been enough to put the whole damn planet on Defcon 1.
    so what gives?
    all the episodes, even the movie- save one scene in particular- portrayed a leader who had the stamina of a fatman after a 10k run when it came to a fight.
    he'd attack, then a few rounds later, he's calling for a retreat.

In TFTM, he did one thing that came remotely close to showing how much power he had: when he fired at the observation post where Daniel and Hot Rod were watching the shuttle, severing it from Lookout Mountain.

I still think he had more power than that. So what do you think about Megatron or any other TF that had incredible power, and yet weren't allowed to use it?

i am old fashioned, I suppose. I want truth in advertising and journalism, I want am R rated Batman, and i want my TF stories and movies to be the same.
    Megatron was evil. Unicron was evil. 99.44 percent of the Decept-0-Creeps were evil. why couldn't we see more of that, and less of the "retreat, retreat!" crap?

2. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Yeah, the "Decepticons retreat" line whenever something went even slightly wrong didn't really fit in with the tough guy image, did it? Like many cartoon plots, if you think about it too much, it stops making sense. The cartoon followed a simple formula:

1. Crazy scheme/weapon of the week is explained.
    2. Decepticons unleash weapon/scheme on Autobots.
    3. Autobots look to be in serious danger.
    4. "The Transformers will be back after these messages!"
    5. Someone (often human) works out weapon's/scheme's weak point.
    6. Weapon destroyed/scheme unravelled.
    7. Megatron orders retreat, plans to strike back by contaminating world stocks of gummi bears, or something.

I liked Furman's take on his black hole/antimatter wielding abilities: it was so unstable he was highly likely to blow himself up each time he used it, so it was a weapon of very last resort.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's worth noting that the tech specs may have a rating for "courage" and "intelligence" bot not one for "common sense". It may just be that Megatron is a daring genius but has the common sense of a drunk hamster, and has no freaking idea how realistic his plans are or whether he's in real danger when they fail. :p 

4. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    If that line doesn't appear in a future Megatron tech specs, there's no justice. :D 

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's all so the good guys could win, that's it. Almost every show or movie does that. they set up some "invincible" villian, only to have him lose all of his power when it comes time for him (or her) to lose the fight. Movie logic does not equal real world logic.

6. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

No matter how his plans turned around and bit him in the caboose, I still think that G1 Megatron was the best of them all.

7. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can remember thinking that i'd like to see the Decepticons win a fight...but it was a show geared for the kiddies, so it wasn't happening. That was the age of the "good guys always win" cartoons. LOL
    They showed promise, but they always ran away with their "tails" between their "legs".

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

It's exactly what's being said here... self-contained episodes geared at kids. Hence, "I shot Optimus Prime and he fell down... now he got back up! Decepticons... RETREAT!"

Whoosh.

Starscream was the same way. Megatron might trip on a rock or something and he would immediately be right there "With Megatron gone, now I am leader! Decepticons... follow ME!!!"

If Megatron ever left to go to the john for more than 5 minutes, he would come out to find Starscream had already left with all the Decepticons. He worked that fast (and the other Cons were that mindless).

In another thread I've been arguing the merits of G1 Starscream as well... the guy was supposed to be one of the most dangerous Decepticons, if not for raw power, then for skill, speed, ability, etc... and he was another one that came across as comically pathetic in the old shows. The recurring bad guys were just not allowed to be so cool that children would look up to them... that was the 80's.

I agree... Megatron should be utterly badass. That doesn't necessarily mean R-rated, but a little more development would be nice.

zmog

9. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

*Reads Dreamwave War Within and G1*

You should try 'em out ;) 

Although Megatron had some good times in the UK comic too :) 

10. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Yeh, I remember Voltron had the same kinda vibe.

• World in danger
    • Lions attempting to strategically battle separately, but fail miserably
    • Lions form Voltron
    • Voltron proceeds to save the day
    • rinse and repeat

Sad part is, with the current crop of crappy cartoons out there, most of this kinda thing would still go on today. JLU was the best thing going - with heroes that actually had vulnerabilities and could actually LOSE a fight - and they had to go and cancel it. Even when broadcasting companies have the opportunity to show just how badass a Megatron can be, they blow it by cutting scenes so badly that the show no longer makes sense (re: my favorite decepticon moment)

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess it always hard to win when your're really a coward at heart. Right Megatron?

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Oh, I've read them... Megs was way tougher in the comics, and rightly so!

I was just lamenting that the most prominent vision of Megatron in the public eye is the old paper tiger from the G1 cartoon. :) 

zmog

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's '80s cartoon villain syndrome, thats all. Tech specs were geared more towards the comic than the cartoon anyway, and Megatron was one tough sumabitch in the comics. You could say the same thing about Predaking, in his tech spec he's totally unbeatable, but he never won a fight once in the cartoon.

14. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Kranix2k I see you're refering to the Super Link beating Megatron gave Mega Zarak in Superlink. I'm not sure if you know, but that scene was kept in it's entirety in Energon. I saw it personally on YTV

15. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Transformers still did it in a more interesting fashion than Voltron did. As much as I loved that show as a kid, Voltron barely has a plot beyond the basic "kid show" format. And Power Rangers was basicly live action Voltron

One of the reasons the early 90s X-Men cartoon was so great was that it actually had an on going story and the heroes were far from unbeatable.

16. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, thats interesting. I happened to catch the episode on Energon's initial run on CN and the scene consisted of 1 bash to Zarak's face by Megatron and then Zarak being flung against the wall. The next scene IIRC was Megatron's gloating and Zarak lying there in a far-more-mangled-than-the-scene-portrays heap. Maybe it was cut further here in the States? I know that sounds ludicrous but I'm sure I remember that scene that way.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    You're not wrong. Personally I'm glad I didn't pay much for the G1 cartoons on DVD; I bought them out of a sense of nostalgia, watched them once, and can't face them again. Maybe in 10 years or so, or when I'm so drunk I can just about manage to press "play".
    I fully intend to stick with comic Megatron; he was a thoroughly badass individual, and far more deserving of remembrance than the wussy, pathetic representation he got in the cartoon..

18. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

Yeah, I'd hate to say it but G1 Megatron was a pretty pathetic villain. Watching him throughout the G1 cartoon is rather painful, and even Starscream points out just how dumb Megatron's plan was in the movie. Quite frankly I have no idea why someone like BW Megatron would look up to a bumbling fool.

I actually liked him better as wacko Galvatron.

People always use that excuse. If that's a universal rule, how come BW Megatron had the upper hand over the Maximals the entire run of Beast Machines up until the very last episode? He even *gasp* kicks Primal's technorganic posterior. It's not even about being invincible. G1 Megatron never won anything, lost every time, and had a list of weaknesses that would rival Santa's naughty/nice list.

19. A Lance

A Lance Give me your hugs

Interestingly the first thing Starscream does after assuming command is order a retreat even though the Autobots were still having their asses handed to them and Megatron had taken out the Optimus prime, so I guess we could say The Decepticons thought of retreating as a form of winning? Then that would make Megs pretty bad ass (although you'd also have to be an absolute tool to think that way).

20. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

But that theory can be applied to any cartoon we used to watch as children. Especially Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT and Thundercats lol