Microtransaction Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Deathx360, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I just found this article at 1up.com on the Gran Turismo HD game.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153775

What the hell is Sony thinking? I'm not a huge Sony fan but loved GT2 but there is no way I will buy this game as it stands now for my brothers PS3, he may get one at launch if not he will wait. Sure you could buy the cars and tracks you want but one version with no cars and the other with only 30 is stupid. The price for a PS3 game will probably be at least $60 but then having to buy the cars you need for a game just to play is dumb. I should have seen something like this coming when Microsoft started their microtransactions, soon to add ones that last for a certain amount of time before having to be re-bought. I'm sure that at some point even Nintendo will get in on the act. I must say that although I have yet to buy anything off of X-Box Live there will be a time that I probably will. This has gone to far. At what point must we say enough is enough? Some microtransactions are ok but to make a game that you just paid $60 for and then have to spend at least $10 for in microtransactions is stupid, it goes against the whole point of gaming. Sure it seems to focus on online play but the first thing you want to do with a game is play it not buy stuff needed to play it.

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Seems really stupid to me.

I loved GT until Forza came out. I know the line is a crutch but you dont have a feel of the car/track like you really do driving so its hard to tell and the guide line made it perfect.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Somewhere, Bill Gates is letting out a loud, sinister laugh.

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    The signs of the next great Video Game crash are becoming more visible

5. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Does Sony have a MySpace page ? Are they writing how no one likes them and they're "crawling in their skin" ? Making people pay for things in GT is just plain idiotic and is a nice way to destroy their fanbase.

6. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    :lol 

Basically true for every company following this trend. Nintendo's Virtual Console will eat a lot of points day one, but at least they are full games. I like the idea of extending the life of a game you like with content for even the least popular games, after all someone likes them, but at most no more than $10 to $15. Gran Turismo HD is the perfect example of how bad microtransactions can be. To get all 750 cars at $.50 would coast $375.:eek:  That is way to much, although only the most hardcore gamer would go that far. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is up to how much now on X-Box Live downloads? Paying for full games like Mario World, Street Fighter II Hyper Fighters, and Gran Turismo 2 are good ideas allowing gamers to play old favorites and new cheap games on the next-gen systems and so is reasonable priced or free add-ons to new games but to pay $20 or more to extend the life of a game for money like we are seeing now and will see more of is horrible. Just imagine having to pay for 4/5 of the city from GTA 4, the second half of Halo 3, or for the chance to catch 3/4 of the Pokemon in a Wii version. Sure some of use will do it, these are three popular games, but could actions like this turn people off from gaming? I doubt that these examples will ever happen, but then again I thought that Phil Harrison's example would never happen also.

7. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    For Sony, yes. For Microsoft, probably. For Nintendo...

That's a big HELL NO!

*still laughs at how Nintendo will crush Sony at Christmas time*

8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Yeah I see Nintendo as being the only compony coming out of this generation in one piece

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I give up.

Sony has officially jumped the shark.

I have never witnessed one company make so many collosal cock ups, one after the other, in succession. It's almost like they're intentionally throwing this generation of the console wars. Sony is the Shoeless Joe Jackson of videogames.

10. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

That would definately suck the big one if you had to buy the game then buy each and every car/course just to play it. If thats how it turns out,I'll just avoid that game and hope that GT5 returns to familiar GT territory.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

lolz you guys

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    wow. this was the one game that I would've wanted a ps3 for, too. of course once they started saying how much the system was gonna cost, I said forget it. then again, I also just started using an s-video cable, so I'm not too concerned with the lastest graphics :) 

13. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Oh whine whine whine. I don't know why ANY of you are surprised. I've seen this coming for YEARS. Wanna know how?

Ultima Online.

The first mainstream popular MMORPG. $9.95 a month. ZOMG you say, PAY TO PLAY A GAME?! HOW STUPID! Yeah. 8 years later, World of Warcraft has over 6 million players worldwide charging at least $14.95 a month to play. Blizzard has only made about a trillion dollars off that game. ZOMG. A game you have to PAY to PLAY!?

So why the fuck NOT should Sony, Microsoft, and even Nintendo get in to it? Square-Enix did with Final Fantasy XI. And for as much shit as some of us give that game, it's still profitable for the company, where as Final Fantasy X and even X-2 have long stopped being profitable.

Conclusion? "Pay to play" games make you more money overall.

Just you wait. Square-Enix has already said they plan to have "updates" to their next-gen RPG's. They'll probably make you pay for them. EA Sports? I can see Madden allowing you to PURCHASE updated rosters, or PURCHASE special teams, etc. Why stop there? All sports titles will give you that option. In fact, why not give you the option of being able to buy not just the current roster, but the roster for any of the past xx years?

Then Capcom will start making "extra characters" or "bonus stages" that you have to pay to play. Konami will do the same. Microsoft already makes you pay to download old arcade classics. Sega will jump on board. Nintendo already is with their "Classics Library".

THIS IS NOT THE FIRST GAME TO MAKE YOU DO THIS. AND IT WILL NOT BE THE LAST.

As Shin said, the next big Video Game crash is coming. Just wait for it.

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

but MMORPG is different. everythings already in it...you PAY TO PLAY online....you dont pay play offline. They do have expansions but that could be considered a different game (cause its usually happens months after)

here, with classics, its you PAY TO GET STUFF SO YOU CAN PLAY online/offline off the start. Premium, you get 2 courses and 20 cars...that's more like a DEMO game than a actual game.

i'll pass on GT:HD, and hopefully GT5 wont follow suit.

15. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    It's still the exact same concept. And once it proves successful, because people are dumb enough to buy something simply by name association, other companies will jump on board this "innovative idea" bandwagon. Then we're all fucked.

16. McBradders

The fact is, that people will now be able to tailor the game to their wishes, fuck knows how many GT's I've skipped because I only like the compact front wheel drive class and I refuse to pay $50 for the privelidge.

Sony will not expect ANYONE to purchase everything. Perhaps the tracks, but not the cars. The cars will become like avatars in Second Life or the Sims, unique to each player and stuff. You guys love to overreact. This is going to be HUGE in this next-gen. A business model all 3 companies are pushing towards. Some faster than others.

Get used to it.

17. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    You're overlooking something there Kickback. It isn't that GT is the first game series to have microtransactions or additional fees that has people upset. It's that it's the first game to be completely useless without them. With MMOs, you at least get your first month or two free. GT HD is essentially a blank disc. What the hell am I paying for if I buy the game? A front end interface? It's not the same thing at all as extra teams in Madden, or extra characters in Capcom games. This isn't "extras" at all, it's the CORE fucking game that they want to microtransaction to death.

That's not what GT has always been about though. The series has always been about progressing through the ranks. You start out with a shit little 49 hp coupe, earn credits, work your way through the ranks, win better cars, and all that. With this model, everyone will just buy one of the 10 or so best cars in the game right off the bat. And Sony will put ultimately put fewer cars in the games because why would they devote the resources to building hundreds of car models that literally no one will purchase? It fundamentally changes what the GT series has been for the past 10 years. I'd be less bothered if they started up a new racing series that incorporated some of these ideas.

18. McBradders

Let me tell you about this little carting game in Korea. It's all online. Free to play. Completely free. Yet, somehow, the company who created it made MILLIONS from Microtransactions. Just 5% of the userbase of this game pay literally pennies to customize their little karts. 5%.

Made millions.

Now, a tiny bit of text from Famitsu really isn't a whole lot to go on, but I don't think the GT guys are stupid. Far from it. This is an on-going concern for them. Probably for the next 3-5 years, they'll be constantly supplying new content to enrich your experience. Whatever YOU choose it to be.

You won't be paying for anything that you don't want to play.

Is it the best idea? *shrugs* I dunno, personally I only played that single class in GT, it was the most fun for me. I should imagine that a lot of it's fanbase is mostly casual and stop once they get to their favourite cars.

It's not like every game is suddenly going to be using this model. This is something that, if it is going to work, is going to work exceptionally well for a game like GT where before there was way too much content for the average gamer to come to grips with.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I swear, if this game costs more then 20 dollars/euros...

20. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

After thinking about it,it does make sense for a game like GT because looking back at my time spent playing the other ones,I never bothered getting all the vehicles. So if they decided to charge for each individual car (or charged a fix amount for a certain number of vehicles by a certain manufacturer) it wouldnt be as bad,but I dont think they should do the same with the courses.

That is as long as there are a decent number of courses in the first play. If there were atleast a dozen or so and they charged for extras after that,I dont have a problem with it. But it would be a little annoying to buy a game which only came with a couple and everything else was up to you.

Introducing full net support to consoles sure makes things difficult and conflicting now,lol