Microsoft To Miss XBox 360 Production Targets By As Much As 25%

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061025/19252_id.html?.v=1

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Ouch. Apparantly it's not doing so great in Europe right now. Of course not as bad as in Japan, but compared with XBox, not so great. Which is terribly sad, it's a magical box of awesome.

3. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Add that to the negative publicity on things like Lumines Live and EA's insistence to nickel and dime every one of their customers on XB Live, and things aren't so rosey. Not to mention Major Nelson's revelation that XB Live's Silver accounts are going to be shafted down the line (see here).

I'm also betting that Halo 3 will be the first demo you have to pay for from XB Live.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    My Brother has a 360, about 12 games and it’s a great machine. I always find the internet buries everything and lots of people make up stupid stories just to get attention and shit over everything and that doesn’t help.

Once a price drop occurs more will sell. They should do a price drop the day before PS3 comes out.

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What stories have people made up about the 360 and how are people "shitting" on it?

6. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    is it possible there cutting units to raise demand before christmas?

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not likely. However, a product shortage would mean that the systems were selling out. They aren't. Not even close. I bought mine at 25% of at a Tower Record liquidation. I was just there again 2 days ago and they still had 360 systems there. With 2 much hyped rivals coming in a matter of weeks, the last thing they would want is a shortage.

The lack of a killer app is really hurting. It doesn't help that some titles are missing features that their much cheaper XB and PS2 counterparts have. This applies especially to EA.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I don't follow game news anymore but when it first come out all I read was people compalining how "bad" it was and the famous "My 360 blew up, it was replaced and that one did the same, I hate Microsoft" The Typical knock it before you've tried it approach.

I don't know how places like message boards affect sales of machines but there were always more negative comments than postive ones, maybe the negative comments were justified but all I always read is people knocking it mostly because of what they read elsewhere.

I know a lot of people who won't buy an XBox simply because they are waiting for the PS3. If the PS3 fails to live up to any hype people may be more interested to see what an Xbox can do. So I think sales may increase in due time.

9. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    that makes sense. I was looking at it today. I want one, but as I was telling a co-worker today, there are no games that make me want to get the system. I want a Knights of the Old Republic or something to that calibate to force me to want to buy it.

10. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That's funny, 'cause I've been thinking about how much better I like its games library (current and planned) than the entire lineup of original Xbox games. Most notably Lost Planet and Dead Rising, but also Bullet Witch, Blue Dragon, and many others that were shown off at E3 this year. :\

12. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

Joe, man, I love you even though I barely know ya, but half of what you've said on the negativity of the 360 is all at EA's expense.

And yeah, no on has really been making of false claims. Pretty much everything going on with the console's sales is somewhat expected.

Lost Planet is looking unbelievably hot and if nothing, Bullet Witch is interesting and Blue Dragon is the first JRPG I actually want to try that isn't Pokemon.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Looking? Have you played the Demo? It definitely puts the 360 on my "consoles to buy in the near future" list.

14. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    the first "killer app" arrives in a matter of weeks. gears of war is going to be the greatest thing since ever.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Its a shame that Lost Planet isn't getting a PC version, it'd be an even better game with K+M controls rather then Joypads.

The Precursors looks pretty good as well if your going to be getting that for the 360.

16. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    XB Live's free service being degraded and the Lumines Live mess are hardly EA's fault. I love my 360, I really do, but feel that some of the signs of things to come are not goood. And EA isn't the only company nickel and diming people, they're just the most publicized. Look at those gamer pictures things on XB Live. I won't pay for what amounts to an avatar. Sony has positioned their online service as a real plus for the system. With it being free, you'd think MS would start to add to their free service (and their pay service as well). Sony's interesting online approach is the only thing keeping my interest piqued for the PS3.

Notice that MS says 6 million world wide and the link I posted was referring strictly to U.S. numbers, where the 360 was projected to be in 6 million U.S. home within 6 months of launch. They have fallen well short of that. Not that I think that was a realistic goal anyway, and the 360 is probably right where it should be in terms of consoles sold.

17. seven

I didn't see any where in that story where it was just US projections.

Lumines isn't MS either and why shouldn't the silver accounts be restricted. It gives Gold account more incentive/value and it makes up for the fact that the only thing the gold account is used for is online gameplay.

18. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    \/

Because Sony is launching an online service with a whole lot more than just online play and not charging dime for it. Nintendo is launching an online service at no charge. Reducing the functionality of the free service will lead to easy marketing for Sony and Nintendo, and lead to people wondering why they're sticking with a service they can get free elsewhere.

19. seven

I'm yet convinced with Sony's plans. With Sega using Gamespy and Xfire also being an option, then theres Resistence that uses its own system I fail to see how that's going to work well with each other. I can see that the account shows X player is Playing X game buT I don't see how that can be an instant join function without having to load up and log into each individual game first.

Live also curtails cheating, no one really wants to lose their $50 account (and the reason why theres only 48 hour access cards in games instead of the 1-month). With Sony's you can go and make a free account any time unless they have some sort of hard coded system to block people from making new accounts. Sony's sytems have been incredibly easy to get cheat devices and exploit online in the past, where as Xboxes actually needed modding which wasn't a good option for the basic user and was easily trackable over Live.

Its a lot of hype and I'm very leary as to whats the truth and what is just speculation especially since they've been quiet on most of their online functionality. Its not like MS is just gonna drop the 360 and its not like 3rd parties are going to just abandon it either.