Microsoft releasing ipod-like device by Xmas...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by 03Mach1, Jul 6, 2006.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11297/Microsoft-to-Release-iPod-Rival-by-Christmas/

...with the project lead by Robbie Bach and J. Allard, both of whom were rumored to be working on a portable Xbox-type device. Interesting to say the least.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

wonder how many times it'll crash

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I bet this is what people thought was going to be a gaming device. This makes a lot of sense because Microsoft's gaming subsidiaries (such as Rare) are still allowed to develop games for Nintendo's hand-held devices; something Microsoft said could continue for as long as Nintendo and MS aren't competing in the handheld gaming market.

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It still might be a gaming device yet, just not exclusively.

5. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

Makes sense. Unless they really are planning to add some *serious* gaming features, which doesn't look too likely with DDK Racing on the horizon.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

At the very least, not enough to consider it a competing device. It's target rivals are Apple, Creative, and Dell, not Nintendo or SCE.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If you make money doing anything in technology make all you can because sooner or latter Microsoft will turn the gaze of its great unblinking eye upon you.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Microsoft is also allegedly allowing free downloads of any songs you purchased through iTunes.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/06/microsoft-planning-wifi-enabled-portable-media-player-working-o/

If true, that is AWESOME. Because even if the device ends up better than the iPod, there is still going to be hesitance to leave behind the songs people have bought in iTunes. Scanning iTunes for purchased songs and giving new copies for free is brilliant on Microsoft's part. Hopefully it's real.

9. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

If I were Apple, that's the one part that would really have me shittin' bricks. Microsoft has always shown the will to make whatever they're backing a winner, and everyone knows they have the financial power to do something like that.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

11. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Color me interested. I've never been a fan of the iPod, much less iTunes; which I personally think is up there with AOL as the worst software around.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That would be impressive. However, I dunno...something like this, compared with the amount of RIAA and legal hassles that have come up over the past few years regarding end-users and multiple downloaded files makes me feel like this is going to be shenanigans and just a marketing hype statement.

No, I ain't got facts. I'm just going with a gut feeling.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

What the christ?? Hell if its alittle cheaper than the Ipod I'll pick one up. I perfer WMP and everything Microsoft over the competition.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    At the moment, I'm perfectly happy with my 20Gb 3g iPod; never had a problem with it at all. If it screws up, I'll take a look at MS's offering when it cmes out.

16. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

People that have become dissatisfied for one reason or another with their iPods are a significant part of Microsoft's target market. Traditionally, Microsoft will enter markets where they feel they can do not only better but demonstrably better than the current leader: Excel vs. Lotus 1-2-3, IE vs. Netscape, Xbox Live vs. PS2 online. In this case they'll be touting the breadth and depth of Zune/Windows integration over iPod/iTunes integration, and the solidity and reliability of the hardware will largely speak for itself. They hope to grab market share and influence away from Apple either directly or through proxy manufacturers that follow the Zune/Windows spec.

17. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

while Im happy with my Dell-chunky as hell -
    Im interested as a microsoft fan-the Xbox while I dont have one is posibly my favorite gaming plataform-I play on aregular basis with my friends- and I see a great potential in this.

I wonder if apple could even TRY to match the competence-I never been an stylish person.