Microsoft Plans Xbox 360 Wiimote

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Apr 8, 2008.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

wasnt there a rumor about Sony making one for the PS3 too...

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Talk about lack of originality.

3. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    IR Pointing remotes are nothing new. My buddy used to play StarCraft on his parents' big ass movie screen with such a device.

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

this dumb and i hate it.

unless no more heroes comes out for the 360.

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I would be all over a 'No More Heroes' port for the 360. Especially if they went with the US version. Enemies exploding into coins FTL.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, there wasn't, Sony did make one. Years ago, it was called the eye toy and it silently revolutionized what could be done with motion sensing, and it's still doing it now, but silently. Who needs a dildo remote when you can tilt your body and change the perspective of a scene based on that (I have seen it done on a demo and it's sweet, despite it not being used on a game)? I've also seen a video with a guy swinging a color stick around and on the screen he is no longer holding a stick, rather a morning star (in other words, true motion sensing as he swings it around). And having owned a Wii, I could say that it is not sooo precise that the precision point could be used against the Eyetoy. And honestly, Nintendo invented the Wiimote years and years ago. It was called Duck Hunt.

Good for Microsoft though, especially in the aspect of creating something that would give developers the incentive of porting some of the third party Wii games, (not that there are many good ones).

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Just as long as they don't push it as the primary control.

8. smangerbot

don't you mean the japanese version?

but yeah, played that game at the weekend. b'dass.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This makes no sense, however I might get one because I (And by "I", I mean everyone else in my family besides me) kinda want to try the Wii, but don't want to buy one.

10. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    But the Wii isn't an IR pointing remote. It is like the Wii knows that the remote is a physical object in the room (paper airplane, etc).

Although, I admit that so far it seems like most developers don't know what to do with it:p 

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Most likely. But yeah, Japanese in game effects, english audio.

EDIT: Though I'd be happier if it was done as a button masher really.

12. smangerbot

i wonder what would happen if ms managed to ge this working.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The world would implode on itself. I just hope MS doesn't implement this too much. That is, I still enjoy my FPS with a controller, though, if done right I wouldn't mind trying this (as an option).

14. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Becoming vintage, day by day

Sounds interesting, but I doubt I'll have a need for it. No offense Microsoft, but if I wanted something like this, I'd just buy a Wii, which I won't.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Rare? So, it will be pretty, overhyped, unoriginal, of mediocre play value, and take years longer than promised?

Windcharger, you're not showing much familiarity with how the Wii remote or the light gun work. The classic light gun works by causing all potential targets to flash, each timed slightly differently. The gun detects nothing more than whether it is pointing at one of those targets when the flash goes off, and determines which target it is by the timing of the flash. The Wii remote, on the other hand, has an accelerometer to detect tilt and movement. For finer aiming control, it tracks two points of infrared light, using changes in their relative position and their apparent distance from each other to judge where it is pointing relative to the sensor bar and how far away it is.

The eyetoy, on the other hand,is something we've had for a very long time. We called it a "webcam". The same sort of games that were made for the original eyetoy were around much earlier, packed with various webcams, and before that in demonstrations at various educational exhibitions and museums. Motion sensing in that case is done by tracking the image captured by the camera and determining where there is significant change from frame to frame. Following blobs of motion like this is clumsy and has limited potential for real games, which is why nothing at all has come of the old one thus far.

The new eyetoy shows much more sophistication, but mostly in the area of identifying specific objects and images. That's pretty impressive, but it requires the use of specific props, such as the cards in Eye of Judgment, or the colored rod you saw in the demo... in which case you might as well still be using your "dildo remote". The potential that's there for the new eyetoy is interesting, but the potential applications are still very limited and require very specific conditions and points of reference for anything that would be useful in an action game. Demos are fine and all, but there's a very good reason we haven't seen that sort of control used in an actual game yet.

To "revolutionize" motion control, something has to have an effect beyond itself. You can't "silently revolutionize" without doing something new, or without so much as even making a ripple in the progress of gaming.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, I was being sarcastic about the light gun, hehehe. As for the eye toy. I do wish someone would hone it and take advantage of what it can do now (referring to the new eyetoy). There was a really cool demo where a guy peaks around the corner in a "shooter" setting by leaning over. Combined with an analog stick, that would be sweet. And while a color-coded rod would have the same effect as a dildo, it's still an implementation of the technology without the need for cables and can be used with multiple objects. Moving the cards (with the 3D monster attached closer to the camera and seeing it change perspective and scale looks very cool in my book) Good to have you back in the action, Flamy. :D 

17. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Fantastic post. The first sentence alone is definitely sig worthy (not to mention dead on).

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    And with this news, I laugh at all the people who said the Wii control scheme would never take off.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Do not want.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was one of the ones that didn't think it would take off, so consider me laughed at. However, I still don't think that it should be the only means of controlling. By that I still stand, in that you are getting so many great games with potential being released for the system and the complaints are always the same "The controls are forced, or don't work well".

The wiimote as a strong option is great, but I bought Zelda, the GC version, because there are some games that I just simply would rather play with a controller, and having played the Wii version, I didn't find the controls that innovative. Had Link swung his sword in accordance with my moves, maybe, but basically what came from it was the flick of a wrist echoing what a button already did, only with less hassle. The pointing for the hookshat was great, but not enough of a reason. Resident Evil had two different controls within the same game... That is, you walked and moved with the knob, but when you wanted to shoot, you had to press a button and then use the Wiimote, so it was confusing and sometimes, by moving forward with the knob and then switching to Aiming mode, my character ended up looking down while I was trying to aim. So did it take off? Absolutely, but will it last after the initial newness wears off, I can't say for sure.