Microsoft phasing out MS Points

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Nintendo already phased out points for the 3DS. I'm sure the Wii U will follow suit.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I mean "tiered" purchases.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Fantastic news if true.

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    This is awesome. Can't stand that aspect of Live.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    While the whole points system is silly, I was hoping that with it would go the idea of charging such high amounts for stuff in the Avatar store. I've never liked that I can get several games for the price of a T-shirt.

7. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Man I hope this is true.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will echo what everyone else says and say that I'll be glad to see them go. Being able to purchase whole games with your credit card but then having to buy "points" for expansions was just silly.

9. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Nice. Now if only they'd start offering a cheaper mid-level XBL subscription price. I hate paying the current price, especially after the price hike, when I know damn well atleast half of that cost is attributed to all the useless features(for me) that they keep tacking on to XBL. I don't use Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, Zune, ESPN, and all the other crap that requires Gold to access and use. Makes me feel like I'm paying for things I don't want. A "Silver" level subscription that only grants access to playing games online and use of the various means of communication would be awesome.

10. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I completely agree! That's all I ever use Live for anyway and even then it's kind of seldom (at least recently anyway). My current subscription has recently expired and I'm waiting for a good sale on a new one before I renew. Even then I'll just get a card and then keep it until I actually want to play online a bunch so as to not waste any time.

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The linked article has the Swiss division of Microsoft saying that the story is false. Granted Switzerland may not know what Global is doing, but hey.

As far as the main jist of the topic goes I don't know what real effect this would have one way or another, especially when you can buy points in such a variety of chunks. I only buy as many points as I need for whatever I'm wanting and may end up with 2 or 3 dollars "extra" in MSP sitting around. I don't mind that since I may have that much in change sitting around in jars at any time.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always see it like giving a guy some money for some candy. The candy is only 4 bucks, but you give him a 10. He doesn't give you change, instead he keeps it, and says that you can use it should you ever want more candy. Now he's holding your 6 bucks. You could have used that for lunch, or what have you, but he is now holding on to it, and he always will. If you never shop with him again, he will always stay with your money. I know you might say that you "will" eventually buy something, but at some point you will not see your change. Multiply that by how many people this happens to.

MS is not as bad because they still sell little 50cent indie games, but no matter how I work the math, Nintendo will always have some of my unaccounted-for money.

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

As much as I hate the points system, I think with all the BS people have had with canceling their Live subscriptions, I would hate to give my credit card info to Microsoft even more.

Hopefully I can still find a way to zero out a points card when I buy the new Alan Wake. Anything good on XBLA for 600 points?

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Sony's almost as bad, pricing every type of game on PSN at X dollars and 99 cents. Can't imagine how many PSN members there must be with less than a dollar endlessly sitting there in their PSN Wallets.

15. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I never used MS Points anyway so I don't care.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, not like that at all. Any change I had gets applied to my next purchase before adding the minimum five bucks. I'm almost always at 0 because I'll rent a movie, or buy a small game, and if I have change it applies that amount first. Recent example. Crysis 1 was 10 bucks for Plus members, and I have about 3 bucks in my account from a movie I rented. So my total for Crysis was a little over 7 bucks, and I zeroed out. My card was charged 7 bucks. If this was Nintendo's store, I would have had to spend another 10 for Crysis, and would have paid just enough for the game, leaving those 3 bucks sitting there again.

I have had $1.89 sitting on my 3DS because any game that I would like to buy at $1.99 would make me spend another 5-10 bucks.

So, not as bad at all.

I have like less than a buck on Live because I bought some cheap little indie games, but on my 3DS, the only way to make a new purchase is to spend three times it's value to get me another tier of money. They may not call it points, but they sure act like points.

The best system IMO is Apple. And it works wonders for them because of all the impulse buys. If a game is 99 cents, your card is charged 99 cents.

Hey Giga there are options online now to help you cancel Live without dealing with the phone calls. You basically kill auto-renew. So you ride out your current subscription and you're done. It's not much of a hassle.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm opposed to the idea of just spending $12 for a $12 game, or $3 for a $3 map pack. It's just wacky.

I think that it's way better to have to buy a card for $10 in order to spend $3.
    Also, that card $10 should represent 475 points so that each dollar = 47.5 points.

There experimenting with using PayPal for some transactions.
    I suspect that soon you would be able to use it for everything on Live thereby removing the need to give them any credit card information.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You so cwazy!

19. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    The only thing I don't like about this is I like using points cards from the store as I do NOT want MS having my CC Info on file.

20. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

will it be like psn? where you can only credit your account with multiples of 5? that means you'll still 'overpay' to some extent (credit with $10 to get a $7 game for example), that's why they design it like that, to steal yo munehs

you already can use paypal to buy points... i know i have!

hopefully you'll still be able to buy cards of somekind.