Microsoft and Sony Motion Controllers rejected leftovers says Nintendo

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FT.com / Companies / Technology - Nintendo ?rejected? rivals? choice of technology

"Nintendo tried and rejected the motion-sensing technology that Sony and Microsoft are counting on to catch up in the video game wars, the company’s president told the Financial Times.

Satoru Iwata said his company had made experimental games controlled by camera-based sensors, but got better results with the accelerometers it eventually chose to use for its Wii console.

Mr Iwata’s comments throw down the gauntlet to Nintendo’s rivals, both of which announced motion controllers based on cameras this week in an effort to catch up with the Wii’s runaway sales lead.

The Wii has sold more than 50m units worldwide, compared with 30m of Microsoft’s Xbox 360, which launched a year earlier, and 23m of Sony’s PlayStation 3.

“Until they say when they’re releasing it, how much it costs and what software it comes with, we won’t know whether that is the route we should have taken. However . . . I think they couldn’t choose to release exactly the same thing,” said Mr Iwata.

He was happy that the innovation that made the Wii a hit three years ago was becoming an industry standard. “Companies whose people said that motion-sensing wouldn’t work are now proposing motion sensors,” he said.

When a player moves the Wii’s controller, a built-in accelerometer translates that motion into game commands. Nintendo is about to release an upgrade that can detect subtler movements, such as a flick of the wrist to add topspin.

Sony’s new controller, to be launched next spring, uses a camera to detect the waving of a wand.

Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment, said it was the best way precisely to track motion towards or away from the screen, and that the PlayStation 3, which has more processing power than the Wii, can do so with no time lag.

Microsoft’s new controller is the most radical. Combining a camera and a depth sensor, it directly tracks every motion of the player’s body so the player need not hold anything at all.

Demonstrations of Microsoft and Sony’s controllers were well received by analysts, gamers and game designers. Todd Greenwald, senior research analyst at the brokerage Signal Hill, described Microsoft’s controller as “highly innovative” and in a note to clients said that it “goes way beyond anything being done right now by the Wii”.

But one industry executive said Microsoft might struggle to make the device affordable, because of the large number of components.

John Riccitiello, chief executive of game publisher Electronic Arts, said the controllers of all three consoles looked equally appealing but very different.

“Look at how we’re seeing different control systems unlocking new consumers – look at the iPhone or Palm Pre. Technology’s finally getting easier and more accessible for consumers and that’s going to mean an exploding market,” he said.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2009"

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, it's on now.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I can understand saying that for Natal, but not sony's motion controller. it's more effective than nintendo's in every way, and still gives you a controller to hold and buttons to push, so it's going to work for every genre there is, just like the wii remote. just without any of the limitations of the IR camera.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn straight Sony and Microsoft are going to have to play catchup, after all, Nintendo has been working out on the Wii Fit and Sony and MS have been doing nothing but playing games.

I'd have to catch up to my buddies too if they were working out while I was sitting on my ass playing some great games.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if you get to pretend Wii Fit is the only game for the Wii, I get to pretend Kane & Lynch is the only game for the PS3 and 360.

6. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    To me There is one slight little problem with that Nintendo ....

I like the graphics on the other two better. :thumbs2: 

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Only 50 million Wiis sold since launch?
    That sounds like a really low figure to me.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    If Nintendo did reject them, then they are probably the biggest bunch of idiots currently partaking in the console wars.

How do you reject something that works BETTER then the hardware your currently using.

I'm starting to lose respect for Nintendo. They should go back to focusing on good games, like Galaxy 2 and Other M, instead of focusing on Wii Fit, Wii Vitality and other things that don't interest the gaming audiance.

9. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We'll see what happens.

Right now, Nintendo is solidly in control. Both of their rival companies have basically announced that, yes, Nintendo was right so we're trying to catch up. This is a lot of egg on the faces of Sony and Microsoft and it also puts Nintendo into a position of power since they've been doing motion controls for a few years now.

We'll see what the costs are, related to the Xbox and Sony controllers. That's going to be a huge factor in whether they sink or swim.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry. I know there is more to play on the wii. There was just too good of an oportunity to be sarcastic.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I don't have a facepalm .jpg big enough for this thread.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Photoshop is your friend when wanting to express yourself visually ;)  . Come on, we all want to see it

13. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    *Sigh* I'm working on it, dammit. Give me a break. :p 

^This. Oh Primus, this.

Microsoft's Project Natal looks to be damn more impressive than the Wii's motion controls, and don't get me started on how BADASS Sony was with their motion control wands. These two are STILL IN DEVELOPMENT, yet they're already better than what Nintendo has right now. And what makes this even funnier is the fact that both these ideas were rejected concepts. Guess Microsoft and Sony were down on their luck when they stumbled upon these ideas in the trash. IMO, Nintendo needs to focus more on the crowd that made them the juggernauts that they are today: the hardcore crowd. While I like the idea of Nintendo reaching out to newer crowds (the casual gamers and other family members), they're losing focus on the people they made great games for. "Oh, what's that? People want a new Kirby game for the Wii? Nah, let's make a sequel to Wii Fit and Wii Sports. Huh? One guy wants a new Earthbound game for the DS? No can do. Let's just make new franchises so that people who loved our old ones will die off with them."

14. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

The difference between the Wii remote and the new controllers is cost. Nintendo managed to sell Wiis for a profit right from the start. If they had bundled in a camera + motion tracking ball, or a camera with depth control, I highly doubt that they would have been selling systems for a profit.

And face it, while they may throw the "Hardcore" or "Mature" crowd a game every once and a while, that's hardly what Nintendo is focusing on these days. All the Wii Fits and Sports make them way more cash than any hardcore game ever would.

15. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OH SNAP... OK common MS and Sony get to work on MSSports and Sony Music ASAP

really IMO I just want No More Heroes to make the jump and then I can put the Wii in the closet till something cool comes out on the VC.

Now I don't hate Nintendo but man this guy needs to get off his high horse.

16. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Nintendo is just using something that's cheap, works RIDICULOUSLY well, and is compatible with every game that has been released for it.

Personally, this camera-crap reminds me of the PSi, which sucked, and quite frankly I have no idea how MS or Sony is going to implement this tech in games. It's impressive, and probably more advanced than the Wii, but that's not to say it's cost-effective or presents better gameplay.

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well frankly apart from party games I don't think it needs to be in every type of game. And IMO that's Nintendo's problem they seem to want me to use those features regardless of what game I'm playing.

tho frankly a FPS with Natal would be awesome like laser quest online in your home. When you tea bag in your living room your character would tea bag in the game... multimillion pound tech at its best.

frankly mo-cap stuff could be cool for a lot of things

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Easy, you sneak it into games like Ratchet and Clank and killzone instead of forcing it on developers as an only option for a control scheme. Sony learned that from their own personal Mistake, Lair. Now it's an option, and sometimea a fun one (Ratchet and Clank), but if it's not for you, you turn it off.

19. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kotaku - Miyamoto Laughs (Kinda) at Other Motion Control Projects - Wii

"Considering both of Nintendo's rivals announced motion-control projects, one wonders what Shigeru Miyamoto's reaction would be.

The BBC asked if Ninty was "in danger of getting left behind by the competition." Laughter has no translation, but if Shiggy's did, it might be "The f—k you talking about ...?""

BBC NEWS | Technology | Mario Bros founder's motion game

"Shigeru Miyamoto believes Nintendo's new motion controller is ahead of projects by Microsoft and Sony.

All three companies have unveiled motion sensitive game systems at the E3 gaming conference in Los Angeles.

But the man who designed Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers told the BBC's Daniel Emery that the Wii Motion Plus has the upper hand because it is ready to go on sale."

20. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The technology is about 10 years old anyway.

Also incase anyone missed it I'm guessing Omega-Supreme is a Nintendo fanboy, i think we get it now :D