Micron Legend observations

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by walruslaw, Jul 27, 2008.

1. walruslaw

walruslaw video archivist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey all. I recently managed to pick up 27 out of the 52 micron legend episodes and i decided to see what the differneces where between it and armada. I chose to watch the episode "Linkup" as i remembered how bad some of the animation was.

To compare the 2 i watched the Micron Legend copy on the pc and armada on the tv. To begin with the micron legend has a narration at the start like armada but then goes into full intro unlike armada. I timed the videos to be as close as possible to each other on the screens at the start to aid in comparing the 2.

First off i noticed around 35-40 animation errors replaced in this one episode which overall make it so much better to look at for example at one poin in the armada episode red alert is talking to scavenger and the kids through the tv and for some reason redalert looks like a kids drawing in ML however he looks normal with lots of good shading. Another example is at the very end of the episode prime is combined with jetfire but for some reason his animation model keeps switching from his supermode form to jet optimus mode however in ML he is always animated correctly when combimed.

Secondly armada had several scenes in this episode where characters are talking to one another but the image is usually a static frame of the first person to talk while ML added animaton and camera moves to swich between the characters who where talking.

Lastly and prob the best thing to come of me watching the 2 episodes together was that apart from one line by carlos the micron legend video and the english dub matched up perfectly even with the new animation. This may not be true for all the episodes but it worked pretty much perfectly with "Linkup".

If people are interested ill do some screenshots of some of the problems that where fixed for comparison but prob not all the errors as there where far too many in just one episode

2. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    I would like to see screenshots of those differences!

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It was well documented during the Armada run that the Armada episodes were rushed out the door due to Cartoon Network's demanding schedule. The Micron Legends episodes were allowed much more time to be worked on. At the time, not sure if this is true now, but Cartoon Network demanded that the entire season be delivered prior to airing even the first episode.

4. Neo-Bombshell

News Credits:
    I knew that too. There are a few sites with some pics of the differences between those series, but I would like to see more of them anyway.

5. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    I can think, that TF Armada was the first Japanese series to be launched in the U.S. first before Japan from what I heard.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Both Armada and Energon suffered from not being the finished product, compared to Micron Legend and Superlink, with unfinished animation and certain mini-sequences not included.

Energon suffered a double dishonor, being aired incomplete and after the same episode of Superlink had aired.

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With all due respect - for the love of GAWD, please pick a different episode to compare. "Linkup" is the one, single, solitary episode that we have comparisons for, which have been on the Internet since the series aired. We have no visual, established proof of changes in ANY other episode.

Which is not to say that I doubt that there ARE differences, because YIKES. But get us some different examples!!

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Linkup was a key episode. It makes sense that it, of all episodes, would receive more attention and edits.

How about one of the Unicron battles episodes? I think it was called Unity or Alliance or something - the one right after Starscream dies. There was a sequence in that of the Decepticons running into their ship, side on, that looked positively awful. I'd like to see if that was fixed. I know the inconsistent art on Unicron in the actual battle was not - some shots had him really detailed, others in the same pose made him look like he was from a different show altogether.

9. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The later episodes shouldn't suffer too much, if at all. Remember, there was huge hiatus before the Unicron Battles started, which allowed more time for those episodes to be delivered. Almost all of the Unicron Battles episodes were competantly animated, with some of them being absolutely stellar. It's mostly in the fist 1/3 of Armada where the discrepancy lies.

10. walruslaw

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Episode 1 Encounter

right as linkup errors have been seen im going to go through each episode from one onward describing the fixes and differences.

episode 1 encounter
    no changes to the content of the episode apart from 3-4 seconds more of the time lapse map in the intro of the episode where the announcer is talking.

im on my lunch atm so i cant watch any more but i will go through ep 2 onward when i get home

11. walruslaw

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Episode 2/3

Episode 2 Metamorphosis
    this episode had no differences between micron legend and armada.

However episode 3 does have some differences

Episode 3 Base
    this episode had 4 differences/corrections in the micron legend version.

The first error is the colour of hot shots powerlink cannon shot

Starts like this in both versions with hot shot firing a yellow laser
    [​IMG]

Armada
    The laser fire is red in the next shot
    [​IMG]

Micron
    The laser fire is the correct yellow
    [​IMG]

The second change is in the scene where demolisher gets his minicon

Armada
    The mini con plate takes up most of the table megatron puts him on
    [​IMG]

Micron
    The minicon is reduced in size so it only makes up a small fraction of the table hes put on
    [​IMG]

The third difference is in the scene where optimus is giving laserbeak to the kids

Armada
    optimus head is fully visible over his chest, grill and lights are flat to the screen
    [​IMG]

Micron
    Optimus is redesigned
    [​IMG]

The final difference is in the same scene as above during laserbeaks first transformation

Armada
    Alexis arms are visible while laserbeak transforms
    [​IMG]

Micron
    image is pretty much the same but zoomed in to remove Alexsis's arms
    [​IMG]

ill try to do another episode before tomorrow hopefuly but remember i only hve up to episode 27 so far so i can't do most of the second season. If anyone can remember a particular scene or episode which had pretty bad animation let me know and ill give it a look.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, even just these three episodes go to show that Micron Legend is NOT this magic, error-free super-show that people inferred it to be from the "Linkup" comparisons. "Base" was absolutely *WRETCHED*, and next to none of it got fixed!

13. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Optimus looks rather flat and out of proportion in Armada, for Micron Legends... the design actually looks balanced PLUS they shaded him! Somebody out there has gotta sub Micron Legends into english, why isn't TV Nihon dubbing this series?

14. Neo-Bombshell

News Credits:
    Whoa! I love this info! Please try to share more! Thanks!

15. walruslaw

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Episode 4 Comrade
    No difference between the 2

after all the talk about micron legend fixing all of Armadas rushed animation i have to say that its looking like it hasn't changed much at all. I'll keep looking through the episodes to see what i can find.

16. walruslaw

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Episode 5 Solider
    no difference

Again no change o well ill give the next episode a look tommorow

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Cool idea! I'm a glutton for errors in the Cartoons. I like pointing them out as it's just fun for some reason. I especially like pointing out differences between episodes in America/Japan.

18. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Was Alexis holding Laserbeak behind her back? Because it doesn't look right at all.

19. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Just wait till you get to episode 25, there's a bunch of animation errors all over that one in the Armada version.

20. walruslaw

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Episode 6 jungle
    again No difference

Episode 7 Carnival
    No change between the 2

Its a shame that more hasnt been fixed in this series as both the episodes i watched today could have done with some changes. One thing i have noticed is that all the episodes so far in micron legend match up with the audio track from Armada so a dual audio version could of been made of this series without much trouble.