Micromasters -- Should they return?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rattrap007, Sep 9, 2008.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone else want to see the return of the Micromasters subline? I do. They could sell 4 packs for about $10. Kinda do like they did back in the 80s with them. Make a little theme pack like a sports car set, airplane set, military vehicles set, police set, etc. They are fun little bots that are fairly decent figures that you can take with you in a pocket. What do you think?

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    That's pretty much what Minicons are...

3. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    You carry TFs around with you in your pocket?!

Anyways, as stated above, that's what minicons are for.

4. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be all about buying Micromaster 4 pack packages if they were reissue / repackages of the original G1 guys. They'd go good in Universe. They already gave us G1 Micromaster combiners in recent years, so it doesn't seem unreasonable. I'm a sucker for anything G1 if it's affordable. It'd be fun for me because they could man my Star Convoy.

EDIT: Awesome level would be increased if they also brought baack the old Micromaster bases too.

5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I would buy if they step up the designs. Once I see how well Nightstick is executed when Classics Cyclonus comes out, then I'd have a definitive answer.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    What exactly is the difference between Mini-Cons and Micromasters, other than Mini-Cons having better articulation and Powerlinx ports?

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Micromasters are awesome because they're G1, while Minicons suck because they're Armada.

Duh.

:p 

8. Wingspanky

Wingspanky Well-Known Member

QTF!!!!! Buy this man some ale!!! I was hoping we would get a base for the mini cons. Since the comic and the toon had the moon being a location for the mini cons. Why hasn't Hasbro made any bases again?

9. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    That is what I think the differences are, and typically wonder what the poster has in mind when threads like this come-up, what is it about Micromasters as opposed to Minicons they're interested in?

See, I think the charm of Micromasters is simplified design. Now I do love articulation in my Transformers, but for Minicon/Micromaster scale, it's not a good thing. I wonder what others really think the difference is, but to me I dislike Minicons because they try to be too ambitious and unique. This seems to end up with them as tiny, annoying, pop-apart, falling-down Transformers.

Micromasters on the other hand may have had simple and repetitive designs/transformations, but that was a really a 'feature' since then they were still sturdy at a small scale and masses of them could be quickly transformed.

I think that Classics Tank minicon is a great, inventive design, but I don't like the toy all that much because it's very hard to stand up, hard to flip out the very tiny hands, and the hip ball-joints pop-out inadvertantly a bit too easily.

Compare that to the G1 Micromaster tank (Bombshock?) from the Decepticon Military patrol that can be easily stood up, quickly transformed and really still has pretty good articulation compared to the minicon.

Though separating the 'conjoined' knees of many micromasters is one thing that could improve them certainly.

That Classics tank minicon design could be quite awesome if applied to a deluxe or larger transformer, but on such a small scale, such ambitious and unique designs are 'too much of a good thing'.

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Bases for the MiniCons would be cool. Though, with Stormcloud and Treadbolt coming out I wouldn't mind seeing an Ultra Class reboot of my man Topspin. ^_^

11. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Hasbro needs to reissue HOT ROD PATROL. Best Micromaster team EVER!!!

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

YES.

But basically, I'd say Edgewise is about right.

The main thing that I dislike about Minicons is the fact that so many of them, in trying to incorporate clever and complicated transformations and odd altmodes, wind up compromising on stability and articulation. Most of my favourite Minicons are the simpler ones that don't have a major gimmick - Jolt and Knockout are particular favourites of mine; they don't try to do anything fancy, they just have decent altmodes, decent robot modes and a nice range of articulation. Admittedly some try to be fancy and actually work brilliantly on all fronts, like Terradive, but they're a rarity.

To be honest, as Edgewise said, I think Micromasters were pretty near perfect excepting for their tendency toward joined knees/legs. If they could be slightly retooled to counter that flaw, it'd make 'em damn near the most perfect Transformers in existence in my book, and I'd be all over 'em, all over again.

And yes, bases and vehicles FTW.

13. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Fixed

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You're sick.

15. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

No im not.

16. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The reason why there is no bases for minicons and smaller figures right now is because hasblow needs to save money and focus on other figures like repaints and keep making new big guys. This is why Prime toys haven't had a trailer for a long time or hell Ultra Magnus trailer armor...

If they had lotsa budget maybe we'd see more fun playset like things.

Hmm how about a transformer that becomes a base for minicons and stuff like unicron and primus minus the interplanetary parking lot shtick. Ya know something like geewun Metroplex? He became a city that worked alright with small figures.

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree that Minicons have filled that void nicely, but hey, if the molds are around and there's a market for them, bring on the Micromasters!

I'd like to see a large Micromaster giftset, similar to the upcoming K-mart minicon set... maybe with four teams of four MMs. :thumb 

18. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I love micromasters, I don't really see the point in bringing them back. Now if they created more minicons that looked just as good as micromasters but with improved articulation (like the Armada Street Speed team and Armada Jolt seemed to accomplish), then I'd have no problem. Oh yeah, bases would definately be a plus as well.

19. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say bring 'em on. I too would love to get some playsets as well, reissues or new ones. I don't have to have all my TFs super articulated. Then again, I love the Legends toys and I can't get enough of the Mini-Cons so I'd buy any pint sized TF in a heartbeat!

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^ agrred.