Micromasters Love

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Girl Pants, May 14, 2012.

1. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    No, this isn't a thread for slash fics about Erector...

I've only just gotten into the world of Micromasters, and presently only have Hot Rod (with Star Convoy) and Erector. I'm really liking the little guys and was wondering what are your favorites? Flattop looks cool from having seen Thew's review.

I know lots of modern mini-cons are basically the same thing, but let's keep this thread about the G1 (and G2?) guys.

2. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I first really got into transformers during the heyday of the Micromasters, so I have a lot of fond nostalgia for them.

Erector was one of my favorites, and not just because of the name. :)  I also liked Groundshaker and his ATV, Hothouse and the base he came with, as well as Ironworks and the construction base.

~Matt Booker

3. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember my mom got me the countdown playset when I was in the hospital as a kid. That thing was awesome and passed the time quite a bit while being confined to the stupid hospital bed.

Remember it ended up being a severe allergic reaction to meds the docs had prescribed...oh well got a toy out of it :) 

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Someone who doesn't love Erector doesn't love LIFE.

[​IMG]

:p 

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Flattop and Erector are definitely the standouts of the Micromaster "Trailers" compared to Roughstuff and Overload, but I like pretty much everything about the Micromasters. The bases, the groups, the mix-and-match two-combiner sets, etc. I also love how the concept has developed over the years, into minicons, and now into cyberverse. I think there's a lot of mileage in the concept.

6. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When it comes to G1 love, Micromasters IMO definitely get the short end of the stick. I'd even argue that at least Pretenders and Action Masters both have somewhat of a cult following.

I'm just a Greaspit (along with some Countdown/Groundshaker parts) from completing the 1989 MMs. Still undecided if I wanna dip into the 1990s.

7. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I still have most of the Micromasters from my childhood which was most of them. They were easily affordable but I got ticked off because I had so many and it took ages to set them all up before a game/battle.

I won Countdown in a competition in issue 250 of the UK comic. That base was great fun, especially the rocket. I really liked Dreamwave's MTMTE books as they gave them all some great characters. I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of their characterisations of them mirrored my own.

Stake Out and Black Jack were always my favourites followed by Fixit, Tailspin, Tote, Big Shot, Whisper and High Jump.

I like the modern homages such as Flak and Big Daddy, though I have a few more repaint ideas I'd like to see:

Whisper, Stormcloud - Titanium War Within Seeker mold
    Powertrain, Ironworks - Generations G2 Prime with head remold
    Blackjack - Gen Windcharger
    Tailwind - Classics Powerglide

If the third party company that made the clip on heads for Ratchet and Ironhide made some Tote and Fixit heads, I'd actually buy another Ratchet and Ironhide for them.

I have been looking for Micromaster Hot Rod but he seems quite rare and expensive, though I've seen the odd miscoloured KO.

8. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So it was YOU!! (shakes fist) Grats though, you lucky lucky bas....

I still have my original bases and a couple of the teams - all cool in their own way. The base combination gimmick actually made sense where I honestly didn't like combining the scramble city base modes with Metroplex (no Trypticon in UK /cry), always saw those as mobile bases.

9. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I just purchased one off of eBay Saturday, I didn't think about it until after I had paid for it, but how big is this thing? Like in comparison to Metroplex or Trypticon in base mode.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    about the size of metroplex

picked most of these up last week, missing a few accessories and micromasters for the patrols, but it was a great deal
    [​IMG]

11. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Oh how I love Micromasters. I used to have a bunch of em, but sold them. I'll go back eventually and get another set maybe probably. They were so neat...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a bunch more, too - nearly an entire US collection and a few Japanese ones like Metrotitan (a real one) and Star Convoy. I'm down to Airwave & Hot-House; both are available for sale. If you want awesomeness though, you gotta get yourself a Countdown base and a Sixbuilder combiner.

12. Aerros1

Aerros1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of My botcon purchases this year were Micromasters. I had a bunch of these as a kid due to their low price point and now as an adult i'm buying them again with bases. Love me some Micromasters!

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I always wanted a Flattop. He's an F4 Phantom jet which is my favourite military jet. But I've never got around to buying one. When I saw one from a dealer at Auto assembly a few years ago, he was twice the price of his other Micromaster base dudes.

When I asked him why that was so, he gave me a really 'because it IS. If you don't want to pay that don't buy him!' I gave him a cheesy grin, turned around and walked off. I should have got his name so I know to avoid him for THE REST OF MY LIFE.

14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Lessie: Groundshaker and Shuttle base for me.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can't think of a one that isn't simply awesome.

16. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    QFT. Each and every one unique i.e.Alt Terrain Jets/Bases and Vehicular modes and awesome. they even combine! :D 

17. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I'm not surprised it's more expensive. It's a pretty unique base, considering the dearth of aircraft carrier TFs. It also works very well thematically, without being just "truck pulling a trailer." In a vaguely related note, I do consider Armada Ramjet to be something of a Classics Flattop, considering how he interacts with Tidal Wave's carrier portion.

My favorite micromaster is probably Universe Overload/D-5/D-Go/Diego/the gold steam locomotive in the train combiner. Steam engines are just cool, he looks great in both modes, and I really like his head design and detailing.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :bowdown: 

Erector and Flattop are some of the finest Micromasters in existence.

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I almost feel bad for saying this, but... mine were bathtub toys. :( 

20. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    The Battle Patrol. you definately want them. oh! cant forget the emergecy squad from victory, Holi, Pipo, Fire, and Boater. they are awesome. shell out the cash for the skyshadow base. well worth it.