Minor/Repaint: Micromaster Off Road Patrol guys slightly articulated!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by stratonrye, Apr 6, 2010.

1. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Hey guys. So after spying Delta Star's cool recent sicker post http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/293958-off-road-patrol-stickers.html I was really excited and was like, "Dude, I totally have most of those guys!" This is a really rare thing for me as I think I have a total of one actual G1 Transformer toy other than these guys (triple-changer Octane to be precise). My collection consists of mostly have BW figures, some G2s, a few classics, animated, and movie toys so far. There's also a small tale of how these little guys came into me possession, but I'll spare you all the boring details. Anyway, I was inspired by the care that Delta Star and the rest of the Reprolables crew took to make these simple, tiny TFs come alive to take my first attempt at articulating G1 figures. I'm not going to be too ambitious with them (unless any of you can give me any simple tips on doing other mods that I would be crazy not to try), I just wanted to split their legs apart so they could move independently of each other for a little more pose-ability. Mudslinger (the little blue monster truck) and Highjump (the gray suv) both already had a line marking the center of their knee joint so I went ahead and slowly but surely carved the joint in half down to the pin in the center of the plastic. Now, and this is where I really want help, I think if I can figure out how to cut the pin I could tap it flat to keep it in place with the legs apart. The problem is, how the heck do I cut the pin in half without removing a bunch of plastic to make room for a saw or something? Do I just keep going with my trusty box cutter I was carving with? Is the pin soft enough to be cut by it? Is there another tool i could use to do this? I just don't know.

I've included a few pics of my work so far. Like I said, basically I just carved the plastic out to the pin and didn't know what to do next. I also included a pic of my Powertrain (the orange and blue Semi) and the joint connecting his legs to see if you guys could think of a way to do a similar thing to him as I already did on the other two.

Attached Files:

2. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

My second favorite M/M set! Good luck getting those articulated. That's some tight quarters. Finally, Highjump shake hands, open soda, brace himself when he trips, hitchhike, wear jackets and not crush his watch when he checks it.

3. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

So no ideas on helping me articulate them spoonman?

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Oh man if you can get anywhere close on these figs it will be awesome!

I used to have these back in the day. Got them as a prize for having a letter printed in the Marvel UK comic!!!

Sorry, no advice on these I'm afraid, but best of luck. Those are some tiny little blighters.

5. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Your telling me! I worked a little more on cutting away at the knee joints last night. Nothing worth re-documenting but progress none the less.They are definitely down to the pin now. So some advise would be really great now.

6. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Won't cutting the plastic and pins mean the legs can actually fly apart in multiple pieces?

I think your best bet would be to use that soldering iron approach, to heat the pin just enough so the plastic is soft enough for you to hammer it out. Then cut the pin in half and reinsert.

7. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

yeah, I was thinking about flattening the other end out so that it stays together after being reassembled. A soldering iron... hmmm... that sounds like a good idea. now I need a soldering iron or another heating element. i think i can find one though. I guess I was just thinking that there might be a slim saw that could cut metal that I didn't' know about.